Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:07 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,020,498 times

Advertisements

Ok? or illegal?

I like to park nose out in parking lots (as in the green arrow) of the configuration in the attached image, if there are no bumps, poles, or other restrictions. So I can just leave without the hassle of backing out of the space. So when I see someone, arriving just after me, and they stop in the space as illustrated in red, I kindly point out that it's OK to pull through, so they are nose out. They just smile and shrug, "It's no big deal" or "If someone parks in front of me, it is what it is".

So who's right?
Attached Thumbnails
'Pulling Through' In A Typical Parking Lot-img_2310.jpg  

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 07-21-2017 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 05:28 PM

505 posts, read 839,902 times
Why would this be illegal?

Old 07-21-2017, 05:35 PM

17,125 posts, read 56,804,711 times
I generally pull through if it's possible too. Most American "drivers" don't pay much attention to their driving, don't think about how to do things in an elegant manner.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Why would this be illegal?

By the manner some drivers just stop, as illustrated by the red arrow in my picture, you'd think they thought it was! lol

Old 07-21-2017, 05:44 PM

903 posts, read 856,698 times
Farting in church is rude too. Should we make that a crime as well?

You can back into a parking spot as well if you want to avoid the hassle. Outside of 'Murica, it's quite common to do just that.

Seriously, if you keep sticking your nose where it doesn't belong, it's gonna get socked.

I see with the common sense nature of what you're illustrating but common sense is the most uncommon sense of all. Nobody is right. It's just that the person that doesn't pull through has demonstrated that they aren't a forward thinker. They are the same person that stops after getting off an escalator. You can't fix stupid.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:54 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,185,448 times
Depends on the car. On cars with a long hood, pulling through like that could mean you can't see oncoming traffic when it's time to leave if there are cars parked beside you. A Dodge Viper or Jaguar E-Type come to mind. Backing out would be preferable and safer.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:02 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,300,488 times
The only problem is if you come out of the store with a shopping cart full and can't get to your trunk because someone pulled up close behind you.

I pull through any time it is feasable.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Farting in church is rude too. Should we make that a crime as well?

You can back into a parking spot as well if you want to avoid the hassle. Outside of 'Murica, it's quite common to do just that.

Seriously, if you keep sticking your nose where it doesn't belong, it's gonna get socked.

I see with the common sense nature of what you're illustrating but common sense is the most uncommon sense of all. Nobody is right. It's just that the person that doesn't pull through has demonstrated that they aren't a forward thinker. They are the same person that stops after getting off an escalator. You can't fix stupid.

I'm confused. So you're suggesting that neither type of parker, in my illustration, is 'correct', in the truest sense of the word. Just that both types of parkers, the one who noses in and stops, and the one who pulls through so they are parked nose out, each think that they are right.

As for forward thinking, I tend do do that a lot on errands such as parking and shopping in a large shopping center, and at work - where such thinking creates endless friction between myself and certain co-workers.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:55 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,527,211 times
Any time you can avoid having to back out of a parking space is one less chance for a fender bender. Visibility can be blocked by other vehicles, someone across from you could be backing out at the same time, a driver coming down the aisle might not be paying attention...all kinds of things to contend with.

I always look for a spot where I can pull through and drive out.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:44 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,473,139 times
When you pull thru in a crowded lot you may not see someone headed for the place you just grabbed from the wrong side.
"Hilarity ensues"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive