Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:33 PM

997 posts, read 838,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Not sure where you live but the rust issue seems to be oriented toward the big 3. Here in Ohio they start rusting in just a couple of winters, especially the cab corners, wheel wells, and rocker panels. And given 1/2 of the ones sold here are some version of white, the rust is extremely noticeable. Also the rust streaks on the chrome and painted bumpers.

Given what pickups cost today they shouldn't rust ever.
I live in northern Illinois (tons of road salt). And I also have seen the rockers rusted out. Mine are just starting to bubble just a bit in the last 3" before cab corner. I immediately sprayed fluid film in the rockers, removed tail lights and shot it in the wheel wells. When I bought it they told me that they started putting zinc in the primer to prevent rust, I'm sure it helped but didn't stop it completely. I don't recall the big three having and problems with the truck frames rusting out like Toyota did. I totally agree with your last statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:37 PM

997 posts, read 838,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
GM with engine issues......Can't think of any in the last 30 years!

Chevy has had the diesel Colorado for 2+ years now.
Gm along with Honda is having oil consumption issues with the motors that have cylinder deactivation on them. Personally I would avoid them (cylinder deactivation) until they can offer a better solution.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,105,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Just looked at Carfax and it has 360k on it with the new owner.
Wait, you can track your car after you sell it? How does Carfax know?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:48 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,105,033 times
What's all this talk about rust? I thought rust went the way of Ziebart. I have had Dodge trucks since 2000 and never saw a spec of rust anywhere.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:10 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
O

The biggest selling points of the Tacoma are reliability and resale value. A Tacoma (and Tundra) will easily last twice as long as anything the "big 3" can put out.

OK then, well reasoned and well supported position that is patently untrue. Amusing through. Plus it should generate some lively discussion.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:55 AM

13,627 posts, read 12,242,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
GM with engine issues......Can't think of any in the last 30 years!

Chevy has had the diesel Colorado for 2+ years now.
Any of the 2007 generation with AFM had noted issues. As for the diesel option, I mean in a half ton truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Sure, all you need is the VIN.

CarFax only knows what its been told, but if its been brought in for service or resold it likely gets a record of that data, and reports it.

Quote:
What's all this talk about rust? I thought rust went the way of Ziebart. I have had Dodge trucks since 2000 and never saw a spec of rust anywhere.
Rust happens still. I don't think its anything like it was. It depends on use. Salt exposure is a big culprit. I think that driving down gravel roads where you are more likely to compromise the paint also causes accelerated oxidation. My car has a lot of highway miles, and rock chips on the hood have begun to rust. If I lived in the Midwest or Northeast, and were buying a new car I intended to keep, I would likely have it rust proofed.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:43 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,573,053 times
Quote:
Inspections for one.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:08 PM

628 posts, read 821,471 times
The reason the GM Dodge and Ford Trucks are cheap is because of fleet sales while Toyotas hold value due to lack of fleet sales i have seen older Small tacomas more expensive then newer F150 and Full Size GM models

Old 07-26-2017, 08:57 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,695,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
I live in northern Illinois (tons of road salt). And I also have seen the rockers rusted out. Mine are just starting to bubble just a bit in the last 3" before cab corner. I immediately sprayed fluid film in the rockers, removed tail lights and shot it in the wheel wells. When I bought it they told me that they started putting zinc in the primer to prevent rust, I'm sure it helped but didn't stop it completely. I don't recall the big three having and problems with the truck frames rusting out like Toyota did. I totally agree with your last statement.
Yeah - Dana really cut corners on those frames they supplied Toyota. They rusted through even in states that didn't use road salt, like Utah. Toyota took care of their owners, however, and replaced those frames with good ones at tremendous cost. They should now be good for the life of the vehicle.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:58 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,695,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Inspections for one.
And every time it is serviced or emission checked. For giggles I track them using the manufacturer's owner portal and Carfax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive