Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 05:57 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,859 times

Advertisements

If I had the money, I would have a couple of classics in the garage:

1970 Chevy Chevelle and 1969 GTO

I wouldn't mind having a Dodge Challenger Hellcat...the one with the 707 hp package

I guess it's a good thing I don't have the money. I get enough tickets with the little red Focus I do drive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 05:59 PM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
It used to be one of the great benefits of an older 911 is that they were a relatively cheap semi-exotic that you could drive the snot out of because they weren't worth a lot compared to other exotics and they weren't going to lose much value by adding miles and patina to them. Nowadays the value of anything below a 996 has shot through the roof and more of them are becoming garage ornaments.

Even so they're still some of the best vintage sports cars to own and drive because they're still more durable, the parts are still cheaper, and service is still cheaper/easier than other vintage exotics.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:32 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
If I had the kind of money it took to buy a Singer, I probably would, and it would share the garage space with other cars like it (an Eagle Speedster, a Q division custom Aston, a Ford GT40, etc). People that can afford these are not struggling to get it and have way more money than it takes to buy one. They don't have to choose either/or.

If one of these cars were mine the ONLY time they would see a garage is at night or when there was a blizzard.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:44 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i too have always liked porsches, but at this point in my life i doubt that, even if i had the money, i would ever own one. i prefer vettes and panteras myself, and even those i doubt i would own.

that would not preclude me from possibly renting one now and then for a weekend though.

I had a 914 2.0 when I lived out West drove that car every where miss it some times. What I don't miss was the maintenance on it. Been keeping a look out for a clean Miata of late loads of fun and reliable.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:10 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,730,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I'd have a Cobra kit car with a GM 572 cubic inch crate engine with a 6 or 5 speed. Big brakes, big rear tires.
Hell yes!

With the '5 wide' brakes and hubs like stock cars use. My old boss did it with his 429 Cobra kit car.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:06 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I traded a Lincoln in on a Porsche. That car had to be the the biggest POS on 4 wheels. I had my trade in more in the 3 months I owned it than I did the Poorchit. The thing just wouldn't run. Once, it didn't make it out of the dealers garage after they worked on it. The service mangers statement about it I will never forget: "What do you want, it's a Porsche". I got my trade in back after the POS left me walking 250 miles from home. I'll walk before I ever ride in another Porsche. Yer gonna be walking anyway. Yeah, I know, everybody else has a porsche that has never had a problem and pigs fly everyday. There's a one month waiting list at the local dealership if you have problems with yer porsche. So it doesn't seem like the reliability is all that great. I'd much rather have a Vette. Now that's a car! And even with the GM moniker on it, it has a great reliability track record.
Lincolns cost of vehicle to a Porsche, what did you get a $5k 914 or 924 Porsche??? I'm sorry that Porsches ranks right near top of reliability ranking each year. You can run as many as you want back to back 0-60 in 2.5 seconds in a 911 Turbo S, find me another company that can match that? You obviously didn't trade for anything good.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:31 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
I'm an oddball with a soft spot for a 914. Of course, I'd have to do a restomod for brakes, slightly more powerful and reliable engine and updated electrics. Would probably make component upgrades to the suspension while keeping the same geometry.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:00 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It used to be one of the great benefits of an older 911 is that they were a relatively cheap semi-exotic that you could drive the snot out of because they weren't worth a lot compared to other exotics and they weren't going to lose much value by adding miles and patina to them. Nowadays the value of anything below a 996 has shot through the roof and more of them are becoming garage ornaments.

Even so they're still some of the best vintage sports cars to own and drive because they're still more durable, the parts are still cheaper, and service is still cheaper/easier than other vintage exotics.
911s were never exactly cheap, on the used market. Nor will they likely be moving forward. Lot of 996s out there, and I enjoyed my Turbo a number of years. Probably still the most bargain exotic of the bunch. I would not recommend a used 996 or even early 997 non-Turbo to others without the IMS shaft retrofit however . Non- Mezger engines in that era could be a little dodgy .

My 991.1 is the opposite of dull, when on the boil. But they are bigger, more reliable and competent, and get it done with far less drama than yesteryear. That appeals to some, less-so to others. All 911 owners are cultists to some extent, since once you've had them on a track you completely understand why.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:40 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,334,691 times
At that price point, there are other cars I would buy first. There's no denying the 911 is and always has been a great car, but I've never been a fan of the looks. It looks like someone tried to make a VW Beetle look sporty.

I've only driven 1, a 2008 Carrera 4. The chassis was superb, but acceleration was a bit underwhelming. In fairness, both of my daily drivers are quicker than the Porsche, so I'm a bit jaded. Interestingly, the owner had traded in a Cadillac CTS-V for the Porsche. He only had the Porsche for about 6 months before going back to a V.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:22 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I did own a Porsche, 15 years ago (in my 20's).

Now? Thanks, I'll pass. Cars are simply a necessary evil, I'll take the lowest cost option that'll accomplish the very modest tasks I require.
That's sad.

Quote:
I've done the track stuff on 4 wheels and 2, high speed runs, and all the rest of the wallet emptying performance things, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere now.
Why not have both? That's what I do. Spent my money on vacations, travel, food AND cars.

As for the Porsche discussion, I've had 3 911s, a 912, and a couple 914s. Love classic Porsches. These were mine:
Attached Thumbnails
IF you had the money to spare would you?-911black.jpg   IF you had the money to spare would you?-911red.jpg   IF you had the money to spare would you?-911-rex.jpg   IF you had the money to spare would you?-914.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive