Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 06:22 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times

Advertisements

Did some snooping on Crutchfield and it looks like you can do some sort of GPS/Bluetooth upgrade for several hundred dollars. Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 04:51 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
I can't imagine a top trim level car in 2015 not having Bluetooth. You should be able to answer and make phone calls and stream audio from your phone without getting it out of your pocket.
You've got to read your owner's manual before going to Crutchfield.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:42 AM

628 posts, read 839,990 times
get a 2017 model with gps at chevy dealer trade you sonic ltz for a malibu or cruze premir

Old 07-30-2017, 06:52 AM

430 posts, read 335,474 times
You guys are SERIOUSLY misunderstanding what I'm asking.

I know the cars Bluetooth enabled, that doesn't matter at all. I wanted to know if it'll be a smart move to remove the current touchscreen with another that's also Bluetooth enabled, but has a built in gps system so I don't have to use my phone.

And yes, Qwh, im going to just buy a newer model or trade in my new and still paying off car for another model to achieve one function -_-

Old 07-30-2017, 07:11 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post

I know the cars Bluetooth enabled, that doesn't matter at all. I wanted to know if it'll be a smart move to remove the current touchscreen with another that's also Bluetooth enabled, but has a built in gps system so I don't have to use my phone.

And yes, Qwh, im going to just buy a newer model or trade in my new and still paying off car for another model to achieve one function -_-
Then why didn't you say that to start with?

You don't just replace a screen, you must replace the whole unit. I had this done in my truck last year. Theres a place online that sells used units I assume from crashed vehicles. I took the truck to the dealer and had them install it. Saved several hundred doing it that way.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:34 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
They make aftermarket navigation replacements for GM vehicles that look and usually have the exact same features as the factor OEM unit. I installed one in a friend's Silverado last year when visiting him in UT. It was basically a plug-and-play and the hardest part was removing the trim panels.
Do they make one for the Sonic????
Here is one company...
Advent

Old 07-30-2017, 07:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
No offense, but it's a Sonic. The value of that car is steadily sinking like a rock, I wouldn't spend much on it other than necessary maintenance.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:10 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post

You SERIOUSLY did not state that in your first post. WE didn't misunderstand anything.
Personally I don't think it's a smart move. I don't even know why they offer car gps systems. Your phone does a much better job. My wife's SUV has in car GPS. It's no longer upgradeable and thecmanufacturer no longer supports it. So it's basically useless.

I would upgrade for a better head unit but I wouldn't bother with the GPS option. I've upgraded all my head units to get Bluetooth but I declined the uograde with gps. Car based gps just isn't that great imo. It's your money spend it how you wish

Old 07-30-2017, 09:35 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Unless car based units have a data link to get real time traffic and weather, your phone is better. The challenge comes if you live where hand held phone use can get you a ticket. But, still, I think a Bluetooth enabled dashtop GPS is better because you can buy a whole new unit for what the factory wants to update the database.
Then when you sell the car you can take to good unit with you.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:10 AM

430 posts, read 335,474 times
So id be better off buying a touchscreen that can mirror my phones screen if the gps system is as bad as you say.

Btw i DID mention my question, its the title nobody clearly read... I don't like repeating the question when i could be more direct with my responses by having it ad the title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive