U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:21 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,126,976 times

Advertisements

Think of your tires as a rubber balloon. That's what they are, actually. It's closed, but flexible.
Parking with a tire slightly up on the curb may squeeze them a bit, but it's just like taking a birthday balloon and pushing your thumb in.Yes, if you do it a lot, you may wear down the rubber, but probably not anywhere as much as just driving on a road wears it down.
There won't be any problem with lost air, or damaging change in air pressure.

As said above, the only concern is if you side-swipe a curb bad enough that the metal rim hits, and that will scrape them and look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:35 PM

8,941 posts, read 7,453,335 times
It’s best to not touch the curb with your tires. If the bulge of the tires is touching the curb it won’t effect the air pressure. Regular rubbing of the tire to the curb can degrade the tire’s sidewall. Former high school classmate is a cop and he told me most cops don’t even bother to measure how far you are away from the curb unless 1. You’re being a real jerk or 2. It’s obvious you’re too far away from the curb. I judge between 6 to 12 inches when I parallel park. I don’t carry a ruler nor tape measure to find my precise distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or