U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 03:13 PM

16 posts, read 7,623 times

Advertisements

Hello I have OCD and when I parallel park my tires have to be a couple inches from curb because i think someone will hit my car sometimes i get to close and my tire touches curb so I need to move car from curb.

My question is if my tire is touching the curb enough so that the curb is pushing into my tire a half inch to an inch or just touching can this have any adverse effect like lowering air pressure?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 03:16 PM

241 posts, read 104,040 times
Just rubbing the curb generally won't damage the tire. Of course, if you keep rubbing the curb, it will wear the rubber and weaken the tires, but generally speaking tires are pretty tough.

I would also be concerned about rubbing the rim, since that will damage the surface and will look bad.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:18 PM

I was less talking about rubbing but actually after you stop and get out and see your tire pressing against curb is it ok to leave car like that I was having fear that leaving over night can cause lower tire pressure and it just bothers be.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:18 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,081,060 times
what kind of car? If you have low profile wheels it will damage the wheel if you rub it against the curb (even just press)

I don't think it will lower air pressure unless you cause a leak, but air pressure might change due to temperature

Old 08-01-2017, 03:22 PM

its a 2012 nissan altima I see some people parked with tire pushing into curb I would never do that like today my car is just parked and the back rear right tire is pressed up against the curb and I just left it like that because i was tired of getting the car perfectly parked. It is just barley pressed up ahainst the curb not touching hub cap and pushing tire in maybe half inch or less.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:25 PM

691 posts, read 223,126 times
I was always told that too far away can be a fine AND too close. the rule is 6-12 inches away... but this is all highly subjective.

rubbing your tires because of this obsession WILL wear out your tires like sand paper causing a weak spot over time and be a potential cause for a blow out while traveling

to help with your obsession think of the fact -- in order to hit YOUR car someone has to damage THEIR car and be responsible for BOTH cars.

think of it as they have twice the worries that you have with parking.

on the flip side if you have a blow out on the highway and veer into another vehicle, the only way its not your fault is if you don't get caught.

think of other people as ALSO having concerns.

Fair well.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post
I was always told that too far away can be a fine AND too close. the rule is 6-12 inches away... but this is all highly subjective.

rubbing your tires because of this obsession WILL wear out your tires like sand paper causing a weak spot over time and be a potential cause for a blow out while traveling

to help with your obsession think of the fact -- in order to hit YOUR car someone has to damage THEIR car and be responsible for BOTH cars.

think of it as they have twice the worries that you have with parking.

on the flip side if you have a blow out on the highway and veer into another vehicle, the only way its not your fault is if you don't get caught.

think of other people as ALSO having concerns.

Fair well.
thank you for advise, i think i only rub the tires a like once a month I parallel park everyday and once in awhile or a lot when i get out of car one tire might be pressing up against curb so in that situation i get back in car and move tire away from curb so it is not touching. Today i was tired of moving car so i left the tire touching the curb where the curb is just pushing into tire maybe half inch or less. I usually would noy leave it like this because i would worry it could lower the tire pressure or just is not good to leave it like that. Buty I see other cars with tires pressed into curb all the time. So i was wondering if tire pressing into curb could actually lower tire pressure.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:15 PM

21 posts, read 6,701 times
is not called parallel park if you are hitting the curb, that is called parking backed in or reverse parking

Parallel parking has nothing to do with curbs or anything, then again it all depends what is behind you when you parallel park, but in 95% of cases, you parallel park because there are 2 cars

This is where the cameras come in handy, I've never touched the curb when parking backed in, the cameras come with lines, usually a red line, but when reverse parking, you can go beyond this line, since the rear is longer and usually higher, the rear bumper and diffuser wont hit the curb, like the front diffuser would, it all depends also on low your vehicle sits. I already have it figured out, so i know when to stop so the tires don't hit the curb, but the car is still well parked in

turning rights is the problem, that is the most common spot where you see curb rash, the right wheels, most people are right handed, so they tend to position their car more to the right, and then you always have idiot drivers in the opposite direction who drive more to the left, forcing you to drive more to the right and boom you hit a curb

Old 08-01-2017, 07:00 PM

I am talking about more lightly barley resting tire up on curb on accident so lightly you do not even feel it but see it when you get out. I am asking if in this occasion is it ok to leave tire up against curb when car is parked overnight. Can the pressure of curb touching tire lower tire pressure? I live in Chicago have to parralel park numerous times per day and at home . No camera been parralel parking over 20 years my recent ocd getting worse caused me to worry about leaving tire touching curb.

Old Today, 05:31 AM

1 posts
It happens to me sometimes to touch the curb during lateral parking. But I am worried mostly by the effects on bearings due to lateral forces involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or