U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:54 AM

48 posts, read 31,002 times

Advertisements

My parent's "Active Senior" community is full of Kia Souls. Very popular in that particular 55+ area of coastal Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 09:48 AM

8,843 posts, read 7,634,975 times
To the OP. Rethink SUV's. Go look at a few including Ford Escape.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 AM

4,898 posts, read 2,662,026 times
Buick

Old 08-10-2017, 10:04 AM

385 posts, read 520,248 times
Wow, 20 responses so far! You guys are great!

I live in Pennsylvania and have all 4 seasons, so I need a good heater/AC, good in snow, etc. For a time when I was a poor mom with 3 kids I had an OLD Oldsmobile Delta 88 - man that was a boat - and that picture above made me laugh. I CAN parallel park in Philadelphia with that, but I'd prefer not to. LOL

This whole discussion started when my husband and I were getting gas yesterday and remarking how we got good gas mileage with our Versa (we check the mpg every time if we remember it). I said that I don't think Nissan makes this car any more so it's gonna be hard to replace it. THAT's what started the discussion. I think the Versa hatchback is a little bit shorter than the sedan (the styling looks more swoopy to me.. I haven't sat in one.) So I'd be out looking for something from scratch, when I'm in the market.

The poster who said his Dad and neighbor went shopping at 20 dealerships to try on cars sounded GREAT to me - I'm newly retired and this sounds like a worthy quest - but my husband is very much a one-track guy.
I mean, if he goes to the store to buy a pair of shoes he goes in, tries on one pair - fits - buys them, and he's done in 10 minutes. Heck, if I buy a pair of shoes it takes me a half day because there might be more to see at the store (window shopping it used to be called). This drives my husband nuts. That's why I'll need to narrow down the field to a few cars when we go car shopping.

Thank you to all. I think as we boomers get older this thread will be useful to lots of other folks as well.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:06 AM

7,045 posts, read 4,075,188 times
Go to your next local car show and sit in everything. Or hit up a Carmax where you can try out all sorts of makes/models in one trip.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:02 AM

12,111 posts, read 10,233,207 times
Look at Subaru's.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:22 AM

4,576 posts, read 4,403,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
A RAV4 would be a great retiree car.
This is what I purchased the year I retired. So far, I love it! Big enough inside for my 6'3" frame to sleep, (with the back seats down). Generous storage. High seats to see over most everything, (except pickup trucks and vans).

I moved to 'snow country' and purchased the AWD version. So far, no problems on snow or ice. My gas consumption is consistently in the 25-26 mpg range, (mixed, combined driving).

What I like best is that Toyota mechanical reliability. I expect it to last many, many years. If I have to ever purchase another vehicle, it will the the hybrid RAV4. That gets in the low 30's for mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Look at Subaru's.
For PA, strongly consider a Subaru. Especially the Forester or Outback. The Forester will be a little easier to ingress and egress. They have the best AWD system in the industry. They are good cars, and I would have purchased one if I didn't opt for the RAV.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-10-2017, 11:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,497 posts, read 54,024,934 times
A lot of it depends on your physical condition and what you like to do. We are 3-5 years from retiring, and have 3 cars, all will be paid off when we retire. Neither of us commutes far, so they stay at low miles. My Challenger is for fun, I just enjoy driving it and am no longer up to maintaining a classic muscle car. I did go with an automatic, because it may become difficult to drive a stick in my 70s. My wife's car is more economical and is a four-door for car seats when we have the grandkids, and my truck (4WD) is for snow days, hauling and towing.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:01 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,332,800 times
If you like Nissan, I would look at the Altima, though it's bigger than the Versa. I cannot stand Nissan's CVT, so I'd only buy an Infiniti with a real transmission, but have had two Altima rentals lately and was pleasantly surprised with the comfort offered by the higher trim levels. The zero gravity seats are comfortable on longer drives, rivaling Volvo, Lexus, and Mercedes. You have a CVT in the Versa, so the newer one in the Altima should not drive you crazy, and fuel economy is good.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-10-2017, 12:23 PM

385 posts, read 520,248 times
You guys are great. Thanks for the Carmax idea. I always feel bad if I check out a car and I waste the salesman's time - especially if I'm on an information-only trip. I know the person waiting on me will be on the bottom of the pile in the salesman rotation for walk-ins when I leave. (This is part of the reason for having to limit car shopping trips. My husband says: this fits, let's get it. And I'm all: you didn't want this color, you don't like these headlights, the mileage is kinda high, etc. He wants to get done with it.)

I like the hybrid RAV4 idea.. better gas mileage than the average SUV. My daughter buys Toyota products and LOVES them.

Also, LOTS of Subarus on the roads around here. Very reliable, I understand.

Appreciate the ideas, folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive