Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 05:05 AM

30,131 posts, read 20,843,952 times

Advertisements

Used C6 Vette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 01:32 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,409,101 times
The KIA Soul might be what you want. Entry and exit is very easy with wide doors and an upright( but still adjustable) seating position. Its like sitting in a chair with no climbing or lowering. Just get in and get out. Ride and road manners are also good for a small car. Certainly similar to the Versa in size. It gets about 24 MPG in stop and go traffic, 36 strictly highway. 40 MPG if you can find real gas, no ethanol. I'm 6 feet tall and 200 pounds and the seat supports me well and its very roomy inside, front and back. Visibility is good and its been trouble free for three years and very reliable.
It was a bargain considering the value and build quality and inexpensive price. Its also higher than most sedans at 63 inches and like a little SUV in height. In winter, it is also blessed with about the fastest to warm up heater I've ever seen. Amazing.

IcyTea - you're spot on with your Kia Soul assessment. My wife and I have a 2011 Kia Soul and the ride and handling - man, we stepped out of a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS that broke a serpentine belt while driving that caused engine seizure and ultimate failure while driving to El Paso from southern New Mexico. We had it towed into a Kia dealer in El Paso. I sat in a new 2014 Kia Rio sedan and a new 2014 Kia Soul - the Soul won big-time in space in the cabin. Our credit wouldn't allow a new car but they grabbed a used 2011 white base 5-speed stick Kia Soul and I took it for a spin. They would finance that car for us and the test-drive was great. The car had 35,685 miles on it. We've got 77,277 miles on it now and still love the car. I would definitely buy another Kia Soul.

OP - another car to consider is the new 2018 Kia Rio sedan or hatchback. Should be very reasonably priced and they stretched its perimeters out on all 4 corners to give a bit more room inside. I am really interested in a new Rio hatchback - the styling looks great to me. But the Kia Soul is a fine choice. Happy shopping!

Old 08-11-2017, 03:20 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,974,665 times
Older people seem to love large, 4-door sedans from Oldsmobile, Lexus, Buick, Cadillac and occasionally BMW. Is this because older people simply want tanks that are easy to get in and out of.....or is it because older people grew up driving bigger cars like this and it's what's most comfortable?

I never see fellow millenials driving longer, lower profile cars. It's either a small/mid-size 4 door car (think Hyundai Elantra/Sonata), a tiny gas sipper (think Toyota Yaris) or a larger SUV or Jeep-type vehicle.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:38 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,741,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Older people seem to love large, 4-door sedans from Oldsmobile, Lexus, Buick, Cadillac and occasionally BMW. Is this because older people simply want tanks that are easy to get in and out of.....or is it because older people grew up driving bigger cars like this and it's what's most comfortable?

I never see fellow millenials driving longer, lower profile cars. It's either a small/mid-size 4 door car (think Hyundai Elantra/Sonata), a tiny gas sipper (think Toyota Yaris) or a larger SUV or Jeep-type vehicle.

Millenials such as myself are a strange bunch, they really aren't into cars and they see them as just being a device that takes them from school, work and back home.

But I am the exception, I love cars, especially classic cars even though I never grew up around them, I am amazed by their styling and quality of detail.

I'll be the first to say that I love big cars, and I wont have it any other way. I can't stand being cramped in a tiny shoe box, sacrificing comfort and performance just to save a few bucks on gas, no thank you!

I want to be safe as well, and a little Sonic, Soul, Rio, or Prius wont do it for me. A minor crash can easily kill somebody in those things and they all ride like crap.

Personally, I feel like we as Americans have been conditioned and are sacrificing way too much on everything, this includes what kind of vehicles we buy. So many people are buying these super small economy cars, because they feel like it is saving the world and or that they only care about gas mileage.

Cars should be comfortable to drive and leave you refreshed after a long trip. Not battered and beat up to death, so I recommend total comfort, go with a large sedan or a mid-size CUV!

Old 08-13-2017, 05:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
If you deseire AWD...
Forester or Rav 4

If you like to take road trips and occasionally haul people or things... Minivan

Similar economy.
Minivans are cheap to buy, fix, and insure. Very nice 'mutil use' feature, especially with fold-away seating. Refrigerator / building supplies one load. 7 passengers the next load,

When roadtripping in minvan.. we have a small refrigerator and HW heater + a camping / sleeping arrangement.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:43 AM

9,332 posts, read 6,866,407 times
The question answers itself.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:17 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,238,653 times
once 65...the government give you ones of these.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:16 PM

429 posts, read 713,704 times
Smile Got another Versa!

Hi Folks, OP here.

Well, last month - days before vacation in Canada - a truck ran into me - not too hard, but still it ended up killing my 2009 Versa sedan. Oh, no, I loved that car. Comfy, cheap, spacious.

After our vacation we took our time looking around. Having my Chevy pick up as a back-up, my husband & I went to Car Max and other car lots, to try out just sitting in a new, used car. We had rented a Santa Fe SUV on vacation and it was too big - tough to park in Toronto - gas was expensive... so we did not want a big SUV like the Santa Fe.

We found that we fit into a Prius really well. It is more spacious than I thought. But we also saw a newish used Nissan Versa sedan, and it just really, really was still a great car. I was leery about the Nissan C.V.T., though, and we had a self-imposed limit of $10,000 because we had that on hand so that car was out. I looked on line on edmunds, cars.com, kbb and local dealership websites and after about a week, found my new wheels: a 2016 Nissan Versa S - basic model (geared automatic) - for only $8,900. Woo Hoo! We've had it a week now and it's great! Hope to have it for a long, long time.

I just wanted to stop back to let you know how the car search turned out.

Happy Motoring!

Old 08-07-2018, 08:34 PM

8,425 posts, read 10,836,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We are now over seventy (71 & 74) and our Buick rusted out. So we went looking for a retirement car and bought a 2004 C-5 Corvette coupe. Reasonable power, decent handling and good brakes. It rides a bit stiff but we drove it from New Hampshire to Yellowstone National Park year before last. The car suits us very well.
I can relate to that.
I bought my 04 C5 convertible a little over four years ago, and other than The Continental Mark V I had for over twenty years, the Vette is very comfortable., with tons of leg room.
I will be 80 in a few months, and thankfully can get in and out of the car with no problems.
This one will be my last car for sure.
It is a great ride for retirees.
Surprisingly good gas mileage as well.

Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Good Car for a Retiree-dsc02671-vi.jpg  

Old 08-08-2018, 09:37 AM

4,370 posts, read 7,016,278 times
Consumer Reports magazine, Feb. 2018, rated the best new car models for elderly drivers

https://www.consumerreports.org/elde...senior-drivers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive