Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 01:16 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My young lady friend (single mom, two kids) cannot afford a car. One of he benefits I offer her is taking her and the kids places. I do get rewarded.........LOL
So you basically get rides for rides? Sucks to be a poor woman, you are forced to have sex to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:19 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Who says transportation can only be accomplished by owning a car? There are multiple ways to get around. Bikes, cars, busses, trains, taxis, Uber, and your own two feet. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:24 AM

143 posts, read 98,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Who says transportation can only be accomplished by owning a car? There are multiple ways to get around. Bikes, cars, busses, trains, taxis, Uber, and your own two feet. Welcome to the 21st Century.
No one said its the "only" way to get around, just saying i'm annoyed by the people who "expect" or feel "entitled" to someone else being their unpaid personal chauffeur. A teenager i can sort of understand, but full-grown adults?? People need to be responsible for themselves, not mooch off of others.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Young people now who aren't interested in cars is a new phenomenon that flabergast us retirement age men. Everybody and I mean everybody couldn't wait to get a drivers license at 16 and a car. And the independence that went with it. Plus cars were sort of a extension of your personality. The guys with the fastest cars were strived after for you to get a fast car too. This has gone on since ww11.
It's only recently where young people don't care about cars.
I'm flabbergasted too... and I'm but 34.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Gas, grass or ass - nobody rides for free!
Now that's a bumper sticker I haven't seen in a long time.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:28 PM

86 posts, read 132,715 times
I'm turning 30 and I am one of those people who doesn't own a car. A long story, but I am actually deathly afraid of driving. I went through driver's ed, had my permit and have driven, but every time I would drive I would start sweating, and nearly break down. Basically, I feel it best for my safety and that of others I think it's best that I stay away from the wheel. That being said, I hate to imposition others. I don't ask for rides and I always refuse them from anyone offers (okay, well 99% of the time). I do use Uber when I need a ride, but feel comfortable using public transportation. I have also noticed the trend for younger people to rely on parents for much longer than the norm -late teens and early twenties. Sorry that your being imposed upon, but I hope that your friends and family understand.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:41 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasb713 View Post
I'm turning 30 and I am one of those people who doesn't own a car. A long story, but I am actually deathly afraid of driving. I went through driver's ed, had my permit and have driven, but every time I would drive I would start sweating, and nearly break down. Basically, I feel it best for my safety and that of others I think it's best that I stay away from the wheel. That being said, I hate to imposition others. I don't ask for rides and I always refuse them from anyone offers (okay, well 99% of the time). I do use Uber when I need a ride, but feel comfortable using public transportation. I have also noticed the trend for younger people to rely on parents for much longer than the norm -late teens and early twenties. Sorry that your being imposed upon, but I hope that your friends and family understand.
I can understand in your situation and I totally respect those who chose to use public transportion/Uber instead of a owning a car, that's a valid life choice. The people I question are those who are still having parents and grandparents chauffeuring then around into their twenties.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
My Aunt lived in a building like that for a few years. A local supermarket would donate expired but still good cakes to the residents once a week. The residents fought tooth and nail for the best cakes first, taking as much as they could as if they were starving to death. The fighting started getting bad enough that the building manager said she was going to stop the program if people wouldn't behave themselves. I don't know how it turned out, my Aunt had to leave after that for other reasons.
Same thing happened at the last place I lived, and it happens here, too. Someone wants to do good, to bring food to a low income senior apartment, but they don't manage or organize it. So, it's survival of the fittest, with the same bullies elbowing everyone out of the way, while they grab as much of the best stuff as they can. I simply don't go to them. They drive me nuts. And unfortunately, the people who bring the food usually have an organized religion agenda, which I also find irritating. I don't want you to save my soul, I just want some food lol. They hold the food hostage sometimes, while you have to put up with their preaching before they give it to you. That's just so wrong to me.

At the organized food banks, though, they are run like a tight ship. So, that's where I go, and I'm blessed that I can drive and have my own vehicle so I can get to those.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:07 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
I also don't understand how people can put themselves at the mercy of others or public transportation. I've had my own vehicle that I bought with my own money since I was 16 and I can't imagine life without one. At least the girl across the street from me is bucking the trend. She turned 16 last month and already has her driver's license and a car.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:34 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I also don't understand how people can put themselves at the mercy of others or public transportation. I've had my own vehicle that I bought with my own money since I was 16 and I can't imagine life without one. At least the girl across the street from me is bucking the trend. She turned 16 last month and already has her driver's license and a car.
There's nothing wrong with using public transportation. As long as someone can get to work on time and function well in life they have nothing but my respect no matter how they get around town. I had a roomate who simply hated driving and chose to use the bus, she never asked me for rides and took care of her life just fine. I prefer having the control a car provides but as log as someone isn't expecting others to take care of them I respect their choices. I would like the US to improve public transportation options because it would help decrease traffic, road rage, parking fees, emissions etc. Having the option for public transport would be a good thing for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive