Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 03:17 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Is this "toll sticker" some sort of bar code, or is it a RFID or transponder? I've never seen barcode tolling in the USA.
As noted earlier, it's a plastic decal with an RFID chip that is read by the toll equipment. I'm surprised that simply putting tape over it would be enough to block reading.

I take my EZ Pass with me when travelling and simply add the vehicle to my account.

It will be great once all the toll roads standardize on one system. It was mandated by the Feds to be done already but it's been kicked down the road for a few more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 04:41 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
Nice tip! Thanks!

What kind of tape do you use? Does it have to be metallic to block the signal? The only problem I see with this workaround, if it rains and you have to use wipers, the tape might in the way or come off.
DO NOT DO THIS. TAPE WILL DO NOTHING!

It is RFID. Radio frequencies pass through tape... If you really want to block the signal, you have to build a Faraday cage around the transponder. The easiest way to do that is to cut the transponder off the glass and put it inside a microwave.

Microwave ovens are Faraday cages - the microwaves cook with waves are similar to radio waves, if they weren't Faraday cages, the microwave would cook you too.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:19 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Seems to me a piece of alumimum foil would be more convenient than carrying a microwave around in your car.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:49 PM

263 posts, read 234,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
DO NOT DO THIS. TAPE WILL DO NOTHING!

It is RFID. Radio frequencies pass through tape... If you really want to block the signal, you have to build a Faraday cage around the transponder. The easiest way to do that is to cut the transponder off the glass and put it inside a microwave.

Microwave ovens are Faraday cages - the microwaves cook with waves are similar to radio waves, if they weren't Faraday cages, the microwave would cook you too.
That was my suspicion and did not think regular tape would do it. Also radio signals can bounce and do not think a tape outside on windshield above sticker will sufficiently isolate it.

Last time, I had my I-Pass transponder with me in backpack and forgot to wrap it up in foil or mylar bag, I had my relative pick me up from Ohare airport, I put my backpack in back trunk and I still got charged after we took I-294.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Seems to me a piece of alumimum foil would be more convenient than carrying a microwave around in your car.
Lol,. Even very reusable mylar bag is enough.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:25 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I know that, here, if I go through a toll withou an EZPass that I can call in and pay the toll over the phone a day or to later and avoid the tacked on fees. Is that not possible in some places?
Well, methinks that if a tolling station did away with people, they'd probably do away with live phone operators handling those calls as well.

That said, some places DO do that...
IL, you can use I-Pass or EZ-Pass (I'm assuming the latter can be used since the former works where the latter is at, for the most part). It's only half price if paying electronically (e.g. 95 cents vs. $1.90), but the booths are unmanned, and only take coins! (So in that example, you'd need to prepare 7 quarters, 1 dime, and 1 nickel). If you can't pay then, note the booth/station #, and you have 7 days to pay online.

In southern CA, you have 5 days to pay online. However, you REALLY need to pay attention to details, as when you go online, they ask what roadways you've taken, where you got on, and where you exited. Not as clear even using Google Maps to try to retrace my route. Also know from exp. that if you're late for one, they give you a freebie from paying late penalties that one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I rented a car in San Francisco and I took one round trip over the Golden Gate bridge. They used to have a toll booth that accepted cash. I think the toll was about $3. That cash toll booth was eliminated.

About 3 months later, Hertz hit my credit card for $35 for that toll.

I no longer rent cars. Uber for me!
What's the policy/etiquette with toll roads and Uber? Do they charge the rider for that? If so, is there a way they just deduct the amount from your account via the app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I try to avoid toll roads when on vacation or a business trip in a rental car, and so far have managed to do so. There are usually alternative routes, but if I did get stuck I'd just pay it. That toll would be a lot more if the agency had to pay salaries and benefits to union toll takers, rather than just use the automation already in place.
Article online cited Golden Gate Bridge toll booth operator salaries to be up to or average of $60K. To be fair, they did have the personality or charm, as similar articles cited that motorists would call ahead of time to figure out which booth their favorite personnel would be in! They chat with each other, and some of them know each enough to know where they live, how their kids/spouse are, and what jobs the motorists do!

Old 08-23-2017, 11:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Will see what happens...

Had guests that wanted to cross the Golden Gate last Sunday... will see how much I get dinged for the crossing...

I sure miss toll booths!!!

Old 08-24-2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Will see what happens...

Had guests that wanted to cross the Golden Gate last Sunday... will see how much I get dinged for the crossing...

I sure miss toll booths!!!
Why? Just to talk to a person? I like that I do not have to stop to pay, and places that use "open tollways" do not have this gridlock that forms on cash lines under normal traffic conditions. Usually there are information electronic boards that display how much it costs before you cross. I know GGB has them. They just mail invoice to your address registered with your vehicle. You can avoid it by paying the toll in advance on their website and it does not require using the Fastrak transponder.

The most expensive tollway I have ever paid was in Mexico from Cancun to Chichen Itza. My bus tour operator failed to show twice at my hotel and almost ruined my vacation. So I went to rent a car from Avis. It cost about $20USD one way for 197km (122 miles). They accept cash and not just in pesos but also US dollars.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:49 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I rented a car in San Francisco and I took one round trip over the Golden Gate bridge. They used to have a toll booth that accepted cash. I think the toll was about $3. That cash toll booth was eliminated.

About 3 months later, Hertz hit my credit card for $35 for that toll.

I no longer rent cars. Uber for me!
Same for me. They charged for the whole period, even though I just used the toll road one single time. If they would just charge their $4 for every day you actually use the pass, it would be totally fine.

But unfortunately for my destinations, driving a rental can not be avoided and at the same time in this area, a toll bridge can hardly be avoided.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:54 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
The most expensive tollway I have ever paid was in Mexico from Cancun to Chichen Itza. My bus tour operator failed to show twice at my hotel and almost ruined my vacation. So I went to rent a car from Avis. It cost about $20USD one way for 197km (122 miles). They accept cash and not just in pesos but also US dollars.
You can take the free road too, though. It is just slower and has many speed bumps. I made all the way from Cancun to Merida with the free road, and then on the way back took the speedway. As far as I remember the larger section was 219 Pesos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive