Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 07:57 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You can't roam freely for thousands of miles with a gas car either, so your point is moot.
What makes you think that in 2022 I can recharge a 400 mile range EV (assuming there is one) in under 10 minutes? That's approximately what it takes to exit the highway and "fill up". Even such an EV existed, the amount and distribution of charge stations capable of this will NOT be remotely close to the gas station infrastructure we have today. I can roam freely, 400-1000 miles at a time (depending on what vehicle i'm in) for thousands of miles in every direction. All that it costs me is 10 minutes per refuel and $. Gas stations are so prevalent, there is no need for me to plan out my trip to ensure I hit sparse charging stations or if I choose to forgo dedicated charge stations then I have to realize it will be HOURS before I hit the road again.

Like I said before, the Volt has solved this problem. I can drive week in, week out on my daily commute without using any petroleum, but when I go long distance (which I do frequently) the option is there to just go and not have to worry about recharge BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 12:45 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
If it is electric, it will certainly not be practical like the original was. My cousin had one back in the 60's, and 70's, and we use to go on long road trips with it, and camp in it. It was great. How will one go on long road trips with an electric only vehicle?
it will not be the design of 50 years ago. (i had a 70s twin cab transporter) and it will not be as easy to just drive for a thousand miles.

but perhaps we will find that more charging stations show up. and find that hotels, motels provide charging.

where i camp there is always some electric sites , perhaps the parks will install a few dozen charging stations and make them a profit center! that would be a great win for our parks.

road rest stops will likely start installing charging stations.

supermarkets will likley install dozens. Hell my city could install outlets all over and make money too.

those arguing about charging, and electric are ignoring the reality of the motor industry. Electric is cheaper and better, it will dominate and displace faster than you think. My buddy bought his kid his first car it is a Leaf. that kid might never own a gas car in his life.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Again you are still thinking in terms of 2017 available technology.

You can't roam freely for thousands of miles with a gas car either, so your point is moot.

I think you mean you couldn't care less, not could.
Why not? We went on a trip in July and drove back all the way over 15 hours/900 miles. Ok, I guess that's not thousands, but we couldn't do that in an EV. At 30 mpg going 70 much of the way, and gas averaging $2.50 it's not only fun but a lot cheaper than flying for 2 or more people.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:45 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Why not? We went on a trip in July and drove back all the way over 15 hours/900 miles.

Did you drive straight though for change drivers along the way? you should not drive tired, and 15 hours straight is dangerous.

BTW, my buddy drove his Tesla from here in Baltimore to Arizona and back for a family vacation. The half hour stops every 5-6 hours were perfect for putty breaks and eating and kept them from getting tired on the road.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:55 AM

71 posts, read 115,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
BTW, my buddy drove his Tesla from here in Baltimore to Arizona and back for a family vacation. The half hour stops every 5-6 hours were perfect for putty breaks and eating and kept them from getting tired on the road.
What's good for your "buddy" is not applicable to me and millions of other motorists. I don't want to deal with planning out a "recharge route" and then subsequently waiting more than 10-15 min to resume my trip. I too would like to see more hybrid systems (petrol engine generator - electric motor) rather than just pure EV. Europe is phasing out new production of petrol automobiles by 2040, even they don't have the charge station infrastructure anywhere near that of petrol stations... seems unlikely they will be able to ramp up to the same levels in 20 years. Another thing to be concerned about is EV vehicles are completely reliant on the grid; at least a petrol station can pump using generators and accept cash during an extended power outage.

I love the idea of not having to purchase petrol for all of my travels but I would like an auxiliary system for extended trips or when I simply do not want to deal with charging up or can't charge up in a disaster situation.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Did you drive straight though for change drivers along the way? you should not drive tired, and 15 hours straight is dangerous.

Yes, we swapped drivers several times at rest stops.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:56 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsniox View Post
What's good for your "buddy" is not applicable to me and millions of other motorists. I don't want to deal with planning out a "recharge route" and then subsequently waiting more than 10-15 min to resume my trip. I too would like to see more hybrid systems (petrol engine generator - electric motor) rather than just pure EV. Europe is phasing out new production of petrol automobiles by 2040, even they don't have the charge station infrastructure anywhere near that of petrol stations... seems unlikely they will be able to ramp up to the same levels in 20 years. Another thing to be concerned about is EV vehicles are completely reliant on the grid; at least a petrol station can pump using generators and accept cash during an extended power outage.

I love the idea of not having to purchase petrol for all of my travels but I would like an auxiliary system for extended trips or when I simply do not want to deal with charging up or can't charge up in a disaster situation.

Disaster situation? Like gas stations out of gas in Houston these days? You can what if it all you want, but it's not onerous to drive an EV daily. It's just not. MOST people don't go on long road trips every day or every week, or even every month. You can have a second car for that if you want, (most households do), or you can rent a gas powered car for the occasional long trip.

Some of you get too hung up on edge cases when the mainstream and reality of your day to day life is much different.

Oh, and most of my long distance travel is in a Suburban towing a 35 ft travel trailer and I have to plan out a gas stop route every time. And if I'm not on an interstate, then it's doubly important to plan as there are many gas stations that that combo doesn't fit in. It's actually more stressful and onerous than planning a recharge route for an EV.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:34 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I would like to see a retro Nash Metropolitan. They definitely could be modernized and I think would be very popular. They made retro Studebaker Avantis for years. The Yugo was sort of a retro car, it was a Fiat 127 built under license in Yugoslavia. The Corvair was the only GM product I ever liked. Back in 1968 at Hemisfair 68, an "Electrovair" was on display. It was a Corvair with an electric motor and batteries in the back. This would be a great time for GM to resurrect that project with modern batteries. The Henry J was ahead of it's time and not a big seller. There wouldn't be too many people left to remember it fondly enough to want a modernized version.
Interesting. The Corvair was the only GM product I did not like. Reliability was questionable, the standard engines and even some of the optional engines were underpowered, even the "high-performance" 180 hp turbocharged engine struggled to run 17-second 1/4 miles, the optional gasoline heater was potentially dangerous and cut fuel mileage and the styling (to me) was dull and uninspiring.

With desirable cars like the mid-'60s Pontiac GTO with 389 tri-power engines, Chevelles with powerful 327- and 396-cu-in engines, Mopars with the fine 225 slant-six, 273 and 318 engines and the powerful 340, 383, 440 and 426-Hemi engines, the 390 Ford Fairlanes and Mustangs, the Olds 4-4-2 and Buick GS, I see no reason to spend money on a Corvair. Especially considering that a '65 or '66 Mustang 289 or a '65-'66 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S performed better.

Not to mention the fabulous Cadillac, Lincoln and Imperial automobiles back then ('60s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive