Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,279,568 times

Advertisements

This evening after I left the office, I pulled into a TJ Maxx and the front right tire went flat, as I could hear the hissing when I exited the truck. I put the temporary spare on to make the 50+ mile drive home. I set the cruise control to 52 MPH on mostly highway for the hour+ venture starting at 10:15PM. On those long stretches of highway at night where you can see a mile+ ahead, there were several distant rear lights. Instead of me ultimately catching up to most of them, they were the cars that had all passed me. I was going 25-30MPH slower than normal for me.

I played music and watched cars as they passed and sped of ahead. I was relaxed. I had a reason to go slow, safety. A temporary tire on the front makes me more cautious than on the rear. I enjoyed the ride home as I felt there was no choice so what's the big deal.

I watched those cars pass me by and thought hey, that usually me. I'm the one zooming by on the left. I'm those headlights who just rush up behind you and are too close with all the open road. Impatient? In a hurry? Why for instance during rush hour do some people (me maybe?) get stressed, thinking how everyone drives like idiots to create poor traffic flow. The left not passing sometimes placing you behind what seems like a plow line. All those people preventing you from going the speed you desire.

Why? Why be aggressive? Is time that precious that you must drive to get home 10 minutes sooner than if you were going slower? And then only to waste time at home anyways. Aggressive drivers create unease for others. No need for it. Tonights ride gave me a really good perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 11:05 PM

903 posts, read 862,178 times
Honest question since you were going 25 to 30 miles per hour slower than the flow of traffic...were your hazards on?

You sure...?

Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
I'm a very aggressive type A personality. It's just what I am. Now that I'm retired you'd think I wouldn't be in such a hurry, but I always am.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:38 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
My fathers girlfriend takes a 15 minute affair and turns it into a 2-3/hour ordeal. Sorry but life's too short to waste away time going slow. With that said I try to maintain a nice balance and monitor my behavior to make sure I'm not unnecessarily angry... Life's too short to be in an angry hurry while doing things, cursing out other people for being slow. You want to be in a determined, yet relaxed hurry. Slow down when necessary without turning into a crazy maniac. Saying "that's just who I am" doesn't cut it. The truly successful in society don't use that for an excuse... They have discipline and will change what needs changing.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:08 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
for me these days it really depends on how i am feeling. most of the time i just motor around the speed limit on the roads i drive on. sometimes however i just feel the need for speed and to let loose and have some fun while driving.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:12 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times
The speed limits are too low. They were set for old cars with horrible brakes. Cities counties and states have grown accustom to the generated revenue from the bs speed limits so they refuse to raise them even though many studies show higher speed limits are safer and it's the slow idiots that cause the most wrecks.
I don't drive aggressively, I drive at the safe limit of my vehicle. The limits we should be at nationally.

What we really need is proper driver training. We have people on the road, piloting 5,000 pound vehicles, that have no idea what they're doing, how a car works, or anything related to driving.

My driving test consisted of memorizing signs and driving around the block. Literally drove around the block. That was it.
They gave me a license to drive on public streets based on my ability to memorize some pictures and not wreck in 1/4 of driving.

Meanwhile, in other countries, they actually make sure people know how to drive. They actually make sure cars are safe for the roads.

And they actually enforce the PASSING in the left lane NOT cruising in the left lane. Idiots driving slow in the passing lane is the cause of 90% of my anger. Get the hell over.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:31 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,410,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Why? Why be aggressive?

The posts above already show what the full trend will be...

I'm a special snowflake and it's all about ME!

People who think they can ignore the laws for X, Y or Z reason, people who think their life is more important than the hundreds of others they could possibly ruin, people who think their Skills behind a wheel are VASTLY better than they really are. There will be a million different excuses, but that's all they are.

To the person above who wanted the hazards on, it's flat out illegal in 12 states and there's another 25-ish where it needs to be a hazard/emergency situation (which would be up to the discretion of the LEO and/or Judge, not the driver). Without knowing where the OP was driving, the suggestion is potentially illegal and better than 50% liable to get one pulled over.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:28 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Honest question since you were going 25 to 30 miles per hour slower than the flow of traffic...were your hazards on?

You sure...?
Hazard lights should not be used in traffic unless the vehicle is being towed.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:37 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
The posts above already show what the full trend will be...

I'm a special snowflake and it's all about ME!

People who think they can ignore the laws for X, Y or Z reason, people who think their life is more important than the hundreds of others they could possibly ruin, people who think their Skills behind a wheel are VASTLY better than they really are. There will be a million different excuses, but that's all they are.

I've spent time training in high performance driving, being an instructor for high performance driving, and a LOT of time on the track honing my skills. in 40 years, never had an accident that wasn't someone rear ending me at a light (2 of those) and yes, I do think my skills are better than yours or most other drivers, because I've TESTED them. I know my limits and my car's limits. So I drive what's comfortable for me and my car (which is designed to go much faster than 55 mph safely). I leave the really fast driving to the track, but I still will enjoy my drive on the street.

I've also only ever had one ticket, back when I was younger and driving an exotic car out of state. I was flowing with traffic at the time, but the state patrol car that was passing me, slowed, got behind me and pulled me over out of the line of cars. I didn't complain because that's the price of playing.

What's aggressive to a wallflower is calm, smooth driving to a type A person. I'm not angry or pushy or weaving all over when I drive. I simply, calmly drive at a comfortable, slightly elevated speed. And since it's a skill you can actually get good at, unlike, say living longer while smoking, I've proven, as have millions of others, that it can be done safely. It's only about luck if you think that a skill can never be improved upon and insist on not improving it. You do think that skills can be improved upon and there's such a concept as talent? Car control is a skillset that you can learn and get better at all without endangering anyone else.

Back in the early days of trains and cars, it was thought that people would get nosebleeds and pass out from going over 30 mph or so. And here you are repeating that same sort of logic in that if you go above some arbitrary speed "limit" posted by a lawmaker intent on generating revenue, that you're going to die or kill someone else. Like the nosebleed scenario, that's not true. As I said, car control is a skillset that you can learn and get better at all without endangering anyone else. So you can enjoy driving, and be safe.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:44 AM

782 posts, read 858,240 times
I am literally incapable of going slow on a highway, my brain/body just won't allow it..it's how I'm wired. I'm not reckless or impatient, I just will go fast if there is room to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive