Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:58 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times

Advertisements

I can't count the number of times I've been pulled over. (Not enough fingers and toes.) I haven't had too many tickets, probably a half dozen over the past 55 years of driving. My son, nearly 50 years old, gets stopped A LOT! The last two road trips that I've been with him he's been stopped but not ticketed. (He normally drives 9 mph over the speed limit, enough to get a warning but not a ticket.) He did get a ticket last summer while driving his Vette. I guess he goosed it and got a pretty hefty fine.

I quit intentionally speeding nearly 20 years ago (other than maybe 5 mph over). It's more relaxing when I don't have to be on the lookout for police with radar guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 12:28 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I can't count the number of times I've been pulled over. (Not enough fingers and toes.) I haven't had too many tickets, probably a half dozen over the past 55 years of driving. My son, nearly 50 years old, gets stopped A LOT! The last two road trips that I've been with him he's been stopped but not ticketed. (He normally drives 9 mph over the speed limit, enough to get a warning but not a ticket.) He did get a ticket last summer while driving his Vette. I guess he goosed it and got a pretty hefty fine.

I quit intentionally speeding nearly 20 years ago (other than maybe 5 mph over). It's more relaxing when I don't have to be on the lookout for police with radar guns.
I find having to be on the lookout for the police is what makes the drive more interesting. Otherwise a long drive is pretty boring.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:53 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

I find it more relaxing when I don't have to keep watching the speedometer every five seconds, to make sure i'm not going more then 5 mph over the speed limit.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:39 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Cruise control.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:28 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Cruise control.
That doesn't help when the speed limit suddenly drops from 65 to 35.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:58 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That doesn't happen every 5 seconds, and that's when you use the brake pedal.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:00 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Then try a suggestion from a former Presidential candidate, "Cruz control."

Old 01-10-2018, 10:40 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Five times I was pulled over that were memorable...

First time, there had been a robbery in town and the cops were looking for a black Pinto. Mine was dark blue. After being pulled over for the 5th time, as soon as the cop got to the window, I just said, "It's Blue." and they went away.

Second situation was when a paddywagon pulled up next to me and looked down into the car and could see that the Pinto was running without a key in the ignition. I explained to him (and showed him) that I just happened to have a key that was so worn down (~260K miles) that I could just pull it back out after starting the car. Something I often did because I delivered pizzas and it was convenient during the winter to leave it running with the heat on and the door locked while I was away.

Third situation was as I was coming over a hill headed toward an intersection where I was to make a right turn, I could see a cop sitting on the other side of the intersection with his headlights on. I was driving "spirited" but nothing illegal when I hit the intersection turn, I discovered that the cop was sitting there because there had been an accident and the street was covered in a sheet of oil. After spinning three times in the intersection, the cop came over, smiled, "told me to take it easy until the oil had rubbed of the tires" and asked if I was OK; I gave the thumbs up, smiled, and he went back to his car.

The fourth time I was pulled over was when I was driving down a twisty back road in my rather loud RX7. I got to a section where I could not see where the road went. Turns out a very large tree had crashed down on the road and obscured it. After stopping and then starting to make a U-Turn, a cop came out from behind the tree and said... "I heard you coming for the last few miles. This is why these twisty roads have low speed limits!" I said yes sir, and skedattled out of there.

The fifth situation; I was again stopped by another pattywagon. The cop "copped" an immediate attitude and demanded to know why I had all these brown boxed packages filling my car. I asked him if I had done something illegal. He said no, and asked again. I told him not to worry about what was in my car. He asked how I would feel if he opened one of them to see. I responded that the packages were the property of the "US Navy" and he would then go to jail for ten years or get a maximum fine of $10,000 for each package he opened. He got a puzzled look on his face, but went about his business.

Other than those instances, I cannot remember any other times that I was pulled over and didn't deserve it because I was speeding or committing some other violation.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:47 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryChristan View Post
Watching a programme about people being pulled over by the police so want to know how many people have been pulled over by the police while out and about

For me I haven't , luckily.

Although if it counts I have been stopped while walking the streets when I was 19 , I think it was because I looked young and thought I should have been in school.

Probably been pulled over in a variety of vehicles at least 10 times. Car, Truck, Boat, Snowmobile, and Dirtbike. Of all the times I've been pulled over, maybe two I feel I really didn't deserve it and was ticketed. All the rest I completely deserved but of the majority of those, I was let off with a warning. Also, every time I was pulled over and armed, I received a warning.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 PM

604 posts, read 652,513 times
oh ya...too many times I care to count for speed violation only.
Never had an accident in over 35 years of driving daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive