Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 04:26 AM

33 posts, read 27,189 times

Advertisements

Watching a programme about people being pulled over by the police so want to know how many people have been pulled over by the police while out and about

For me I haven't , luckily.

Although if it counts I have been stopped while walking the streets when I was 19 , I think it was because I looked young and thought I should have been in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 05:31 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
You mean outside of committing a traffic violation? I've been stopped a number of times for speeding, etc. Got a few tickets as a result and also escaped with warnings.

But I've never been pulled over without a clear reason.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Many times when I deserved it, when younger, for speeding mostly. Only once was I pulled over and held at gunpoint. My wife and I were on a trip to Phoenix to attend a friend's weeding. We passed two state patrol cars on the side of the highway, and saw that they took an interest in us (turning heads) and hopped back into their cars. When they pulled us over, one was in front, the other behind. The one had his gun on me and had me exit the car while the other spoke to my wife through her window. Turns out that a vehicle similar to ours and in the same color had been identified as the suspects in an armed robbery at a town we had passed a while earlier. After some discussion we received apologies and were let go.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:38 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,243,908 times
A few times before college and a ticket or two; after all I did drive Woodward Ave a few times in a souped up Barracuda. A few times as an adult and never received a ticket; even though I probably deserved one (or two).

Old 09-07-2017, 06:24 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,818,606 times
I got pulled over for speeding about a year ago, actually it was the first weekend after I had the bought the car. I just wasn't used to the smoothness of the ride and didn't pay attention to the speedometer. Turns out I was doing 65 in a 50 zone not far from my house. Deputy was a nice guy and let me off with a warning because I was honest and didn't feed him a line of BS.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:35 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Many times when I deserved it, when younger, for speeding mostly. Only once was I pulled over and held at gunpoint. My wife and I were on a trip to Phoenix to attend a friend's weeding. We passed two state patrol cars on the side of the highway, and saw that they took an interest in us (turning heads) and hopped back into their cars. When they pulled us over, one was in front, the other behind. The one had his gun on me and had me exit the car while the other spoke to my wife through her window. Turns out that a vehicle similar to ours and in the same color had been identified as the suspects in an armed robbery at a town we had passed a while earlier. After some discussion we received apologies and were let go.
I have a similar story, but no guns drawn. I was driving home at 11 pm and went past a police car. I was driving an old beat up Crown Victoria. They took my plate number but did not stop me. They were in the city, two cities over from mine. 20 minutes later, I was home with my car parked in the garage. Two cops from my city showed up at my house and demanded to see my car. I opened the garage. They took a look, radioed somebody, and then asked if I had been driving it. I told them that I just got home and where I was coming from. Somebody on their radio called. A few minutes later, they apologized for bothering me. They said a pizza place, near where I was, was robbed and the getaway car was similar to mine. They were satisfied it wasn't me and left.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:37 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,645,506 times
I'm 61 ,and driving since I was 17 in 1972 ....hell yes I have been stopped.

Funniest was about 10 years ago,coming down a hill on a major hwy and there are two consecutive lights,about 200 yards apart .Well coming home around 4 pm the sun is right in your eyes and I went through the first one that was red,there was a policeman at the intersection behind two other cars and hit his lights as soon as I did it,I saw him and pulled right into a shopping center turned off the car got out and was sitting on the hood with all the paper work before the light turn green again.He pulled in and was laughing"thanks for not running" he said. I said I was wrong it was all on me.Told him what had happen and that I did it.He checked all my paper work thank me for being honest and gave me a warning,I was lucky as hell!

Old 09-07-2017, 06:41 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
I got a warning for doing 40 in a 30, doing 63 in a 55, and not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. Never gotten a ticket yet. I usually go 5 above or with the flow of traffic, which ever is faster. I don't reward people for riding my bumper and speed up, though.

One of my pet peeves is when I'm driving in road construction on interstate and its one lane. Speed limits in south Dakota in these areas are usually 65 which is already generous compared to most states. I'm doing 70 and someone insists on riding my bumper. I'm gonna lob a hand grenade out my window and turn your car into a burning cinder. Just kidding... But I will slow down to 60-65. Maybe I'll break check you and claim I saw a deer. You're not getting there faster so get off my ass.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:45 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,098 times
I've been driving for 40 years and got pulled over for speeding twice. Both of them almost 30 years ago. Once in an out of state car (I am originally from Seattle and was pulled over in my '72 Daytona Spyder in California) while flowing with traffic. And once in my '66 Porsche 912 that I was restoring and didn't have a speedometer functioning. That one got a verbal warning when I explained that the speedometer angle drive was on order from Germany. The only other time I've been pulled over was for a brake light out, got a fix it ticket, fixed it and the ticket went away.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:12 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Four times. Three times for speeding (two tickets and one warning from a former classmate who is now chief of police in my home town). Fourth time was not a justified stop. He claimed I was speeding but I had my cruise control locked at the posted speed limit. The real reason why he pulled me over was how low my rear was riding. He wanted to search my trunk. Told him the truth that I was in the Navy and was going back to base from home. Popped the trunk and all he saw was clothes and other Navy items and he let me off with a warning. At the time I was a 24 year old skinny white guy with red hair in a 1993 Chevy Cavalier coupe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive