Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 07:17 PM

666 posts, read 643,221 times

Advertisements

I have a problem in general with overly aggressive tailgating yahoos on the road. Tailgating needs to be ticketed a whole lot more than it already is, which seems to be nearly never. My favorite is when one of these types runs up on my bumper expecting me to immediately yield to Their Highness when the right lane is currently full of 18 wheelers lumbering down the road. I don't camp out in the left hand lane; I will be getting over as soon as there's a good spot in the other lane. I will not be immediately shoving myself in between two lumbering trucks so that someone like OP can rush rush rush. You can wait, it will be okay. Promise.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:30 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
I have a problem in general with overly aggressive tailgating yahoos on the road. Tailgating needs to be ticketed a whole lot more than it already is, which seems to be nearly never. My favorite is when one of these types runs up on my bumper expecting me to immediately yield to Their Highness when the right lane is currently full of 18 wheelers lumbering down the road. I don't camp out in the left hand lane; I will be getting over as soon as there's a good spot in the other lane. I will not be immediately shoving myself in between two lumbering trucks so that someone like OP can rush rush rush. You can wait, it will be okay. Promise.
such tailgaters should be pulled over too

Old 09-12-2017, 07:39 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If you work in trauma you are no doubt scientifically trained which means you should know better in assessing causality. There is no doubt that speeding magnifies the carnage, no one will dispute that. But it says nothing about what led to the accident.

Even the above link claiming speeding to be the #2 "cause" of accidents is unreferenced and unsupported in any way
Do you think speeding isn't a contributor or cause of accidents? It certainly shortens reaction time, increased breaking distances nearly exponentially and certainly decreases the stability of a vehicle especially maneuvering

Old 09-12-2017, 07:46 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Speeding is almost never a cause of accidents. It is certainly a factor that makes them worse, but the cause of accidents besides poor weather/road conditions is bad drivers and slow drivers. The key to reducing injuries and fatalities is to issue summons to slow and incompetent drivers of which there are many

Oh, please.... Do you really believe that?

Old 09-12-2017, 07:47 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Speeding is actually the #2 cause:

Drivers.com: Top 3 Causes of Car Accidents in America

Left lane hogging is never the cause....ever.
Neither are slow drivers. Slow drivers are only a problem for drivers who aren't paying attention in the first place. It might annoy you, but it's not dangerous in any way.

Safe driving is keeping your cool and paying attention. You can drive at mach 2 if you want, just pay attention, use your turn signals, keep a safe distance away from other cars, and stay cool. Everything else is between you and the cops.

The key to reducing fatalities is to issue a summons to speeders of which there are many. If you haven't figured this out by now, that apparently means you.
Sorry I can't rep you twice..... Very well said.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Sorry I can't rep you twice..... Very well said.
you want to double rep hearsay?

Old 09-12-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Oh, please.... Do you really believe that?
Absolutely, the leading cause of accidents (aside from intoxication) is reckless driving. A person can be going 85 with proper following distance, lane change signalling, etc and be much safer than the idiot weaving in and out of lanes or the malcontent hogging the left lane to play highway patrol in his ford fiesta.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:53 PM

1,198 posts, read 661,109 times
I could care less if people pass me, but cutting back in front of me with less than 1/2 car length to spare is a little obnoxious and dangerous, especially when there is a long open road ahead of me. I might honk or flash lights if someone cuts in way too close and puts my life and everyone around me in danger. I rarely do this though because I don't want to incite road rage from anyone. I see a lot of drivers speeding ahead but the thing is, so many people like to speed and everyone wants to be first that they all end up bunched up together anyway jockeying for first position. I find that eventually the road opens up again and I have it to myself if I keep patiently driving close to the speed limit lol.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:07 PM

For anyone who is interested in the actual causes of motor vehicle accidents, there was a comprehensive study performed for congress by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. You can read the full report here which is scientifically produced and not full of knee jerk reactions to people going over the speed limit:

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/811059

Old 09-13-2017, 04:28 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
It upsets me to be "cut off" at any speed.

It doesn't bother me in the least to be safely passed - and "safely" includes following the speed limit as posted.

You and all your ilk are road hazards and should have your license(s) revoked. You are driving to endanger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive