Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:29 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm typically a very fast driver. Whenever I'm on the left lane I clock 78mph avg. It's almost a regular routine for me to get around slow left lane hoggers by cutting in front of them if necessary then taking off.

However, I've bumped into a few grumpy drivers.
LOL: if sufficiently bored on a weekend with dry roads, I'll hunt people like you in my 911 C4 GTS. I read your first post pretty thoroughly, I know the mentality. You're not fooling anyone here, friend.

You sound a bit hurt in the OP...what I don't get it "why". Your behavior indicates "the game is afoot," don't act all surprised when someone takes you up on it. Tally-hoe, as fighter pilots say.

I see you coming, I see you zip by, I see you drop in front of and around other cars, I see you slide in and out of lanes. Usually not recklessly, but relentlessly with a hint of impatience. If it bothers me enough, and we have enough miles to go to where I'm going (and where you're going I guess), I'll slowly slide in behind you like a Mako homing on prey. You probably won't notice me, you're too busy and too used to what is in front of you.

Then I'll be on you. You may notice then, but still: probably not. You're used to being the apex predator on the roads, as you are 99% the time. Not today, though, chump.

You're going 78? I'll amp it up to 90mph. Hit the gas? That won't work: I'll drop from 4th to 3rd and turn it up to a 100mph just that fast. Then I'm around you, and gone. Long, long gone, and I don't care what you're doing or thinking at the point other than swerving around going "what the ___, what the ___" presumably. Unless you're in a 5.0 Mustang, Hellcat, or similar and then we've both got way bigger fish to fry.

Next mile or less, I'll go to the number 2, or even number 3 lane, and tuck into a nice comfy 70mph again. And, you'll come trundling along, sure enough. You may be mad, but you seldom if-ever run up on my bumper to play more: few know what a GTS is, and mine is Guards Red on black. Looks a lot like a GT3 or GT2 on casual glance, race cars with lights. You're smart enough to not be sure, then to march on your merry way again or maybe you've finally turned it down a notch. In any case, I'm done.

Said m'piece. I don't do this often, the potential for mayhem to *my* license is pretty high though I run radar detector and laser jammer that positively does work, and some of these freeways are patrolled. Still, it's genuinely amusing when I do, to watch the freak-out of you people.

Me? No one does this to me, with a Lamborghini or F458, because I don't drive like the above in traffic. Oh, occasionally a motorcycle will blow up on me and want a go, to which I usually will *not* respond unless waaay out in the bush on the Interstate. I go a bit faster and often can be found in the No. 1 lane, but I slide over for faster traffic like a normal person. I don't get the "go 78 in a 60 zone" thing that OP describes, day-to-day, since the police will eventually catch up. My best friend drives that way and wonders why he's pulled over about four times/year here in WA State. I don't bother explaining, it's his license.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:50 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
On many highways in New Jersey, it is a free-for-all, and portions of the Turnpike are so congested with so many lanes that it's very difficult to do any sort of speed enforcement, without putting the police officer and other drivers at risk. Hence, unless there is extremely aggressive driving witnessed by a trooper, it's not likely that there will be enforcement of the limit, which varies from 55-65, depending upon location. I drive in NJ all the time, too, and it is out of state vehicles that do not abide by the "keep right" law, but that's no excuse to harass or threaten another driver, creating an unsafe situation for them, and for the drivers in lanes of traffic to the right. I have a philosophy that I arrive when I arrive, using prudent judgment to get there in the safest means possible for myself, my passengers, and without causing stress or harm to others who share the roadways.

I do not care if someone passes me, and many times it's not in a faster car than some that I own, but I do care when they cut in front of me to pass someone else, or cut in front of me to try to provoke me, as in the case of driving a fast/exotic car at proper speed and an econobox in poor cosmetic condition comes out of nowhere with someone who thinks they are proving something to me.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-08-2017, 12:39 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
On many highways in New Jersey, it is a free-for-all, and portions of the Turnpike are so congested with so many lanes that it's very difficult to do any sort of speed enforcement, without putting the police officer and other drivers at risk. Hence, unless there is extremely aggressive driving witnessed by a trooper, it's not likely that there will be enforcement of the limit, which varies from 55-65, depending upon location. I drive in NJ all the time, too, and it is out of state vehicles that do not abide by the "keep right" law, but that's no excuse to harass or threaten another driver, creating an unsafe situation for them, and for the drivers in lanes of traffic to the right. I have a philosophy that I arrive when I arrive, using prudent judgment to get there in the safest means possible for myself, my passengers, and without causing stress or harm to others who share the roadways.

I do not care if someone passes me, and many times it's not in a faster car than some that I own, but I do care when they cut in front of me to pass someone else, or cut in front of me to try to provoke me, as in the case of driving a fast/exotic car at proper speed and an econobox in poor cosmetic condition comes out of nowhere with someone who thinks they are proving something to me.
Here in PA there are highways like that like rt 309 where it's pretty much a speedway. But on the pa turnpike there are signs that say "speed monitored by aircraft"

Also with more people having dashcams it's easy to call the state police and give a tag number and they will catch the person with super aggressive behavior. The dashcam will prove the aggressive behavior. I have called state police in the past on aggressive drivers but i don't bother anymore.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
LOL: if sufficiently bored on a weekend with dry roads, I'll hunt people like you in my 911 C4 GTS. I read your first post pretty thoroughly, I know the mentality. You're not fooling anyone here, friend.

You sound a bit hurt in the OP...what I don't get it "why". Your behavior indicates "the game is afoot," don't act all surprised when someone takes you up on it. Tally-hoe, as fighter pilots say.

I see you coming, I see you zip by, I see you drop in front of and around other cars, I see you slide in and out of lanes. Usually not recklessly, but relentlessly with a hint of impatience. If it bothers me enough, and we have enough miles to go to where I'm going (and where you're going I guess), I'll slowly slide in behind you like a Mako homing on prey. You probably won't notice me, you're too busy and too used to what is in front of you.

Then I'll be on you. You may notice then, but still: probably not. You're used to being the apex predator on the roads, as you are 99% the time. Not today, though, chump.

You're going 78? I'll amp it up to 90mph. Hit the gas? That won't work: I'll drop from 4th to 3rd and turn it up to a 100mph just that fast. Then I'm around you, and gone. Long, long gone, and I don't care what you're doing or thinking at the point other than swerving around going "what the ___, what the ___" presumably. Unless you're in a 5.0 Mustang, Hellcat, or similar and then we've both got way bigger fish to fry.

Next mile or less, I'll go to the number 2, or even number 3 lane, and tuck into a nice comfy 70mph again. And, you'll come trundling along, sure enough. You may be mad, but you seldom if-ever run up on my bumper to play more: few know what a GTS is, and mine is Guards Red on black. Looks a lot like a GT3 or GT2 on casual glance, race cars with lights. You're smart enough to not be sure, then to march on your merry way again or maybe you've finally turned it down a notch. In any case, I'm done.

Said m'piece. I don't do this often, the potential for mayhem to *my* license is pretty high though I run radar detector and laser jammer that positively does work, and some of these freeways are patrolled. Still, it's genuinely amusing when I do, to watch the freak-out of you people.

Me? No one does this to me, with a Lamborghini or F458, because I don't drive like the above in traffic. Oh, occasionally a motorcycle will blow up on me and want a go, to which I usually will *not* respond unless waaay out in the bush on the Interstate. I go a bit faster and often can be found in the No. 1 lane, but I slide over for faster traffic like a normal person. I don't get the "go 78 in a 60 zone" thing that OP describes, day-to-day, since the police will eventually catch up. My best friend drives that way and wonders why he's pulled over about four times/year here in WA State. I don't bother explaining, it's his license.
Love the writing. Can you write the sequel where the little Porsche gets eaten alive by the McCLaren MP4-12C (Tri-Turbo)? (Or a Tesla until it runs out of electricity).

Sorry to say Blondebearde rear ended a minivan while going 100 mph ont he freeway and killed 4 little kids. He is doing 15-30 at Jackson and cannot access a computer to post on CD anymore.

Oh sorry - not yet? I am jumping into the future a bit. My apologies, tend to do that sometimes.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:40 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm typically a very fast driver. Whenever I'm on the left lane I clock 78mph avg. It's almost a regular routine for me to get around slow left lane hoggers by cutting in front of them if necessary then taking off.

However, I've bumped into a few grumpy drivers.

One situation the car was doing 60ish on the left lane, I was holding about 1/2 a car distance behind the car for about a minute and it wouldn't move. So I tried to pass right around the car and suddenly the guy started taking off and hit above 80mph and he was gone. Then after like 5 mins, I caught up to the guy as I was doing 80mph+ and he slowed back down to 60mph.

Another case, I got around the slow car 40mph car and then got in front of it due to traffic and took off doing 50mph+ the car high beamed me. Other times, I've had cars honked and high beamed me for simply getting around them and taking off.

I never brake check any car so there's no reason someone being passed by me should be offended. Their action of driving slower than avg speed is the offense here.
It sounds like you aggressively tailgate people prior to passing. Keep up this behavior and one day you will **** the wrong person off on the wrong day.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:43 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I forgot. If the "faster car" is a BMW, then you'll for sure get honked at, because everybody in the world hates BMW drivers. If its a Corvette you'll get a thumbs up, because every red blooded American loves Corvettes.
I assume this was a bit tongue in cheek, but this American thinks Corvettes are tacky. Pretty much everyone I see driving a Corvette is an aging baby boomer in a midlife crisis - gold chains and ponytail are optional.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:44 PM

903 posts, read 862,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
It sounds like you aggressively tailgate people prior to passing. Keep up this behavior and one day you will **** the wrong person off on the wrong day.
Ah yes, the knife does indeed cut both ways.

When the Citizens On Patrol and the folks like the OP realize that common courtesy can get you far in life, road rage will cease to exist. Since that will never happen, I will smile while reading of their self inflicted misery.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:48 PM

557 posts, read 864,297 times
I let them go with my wish that they at least use a turn signal.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:58 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am a well past ageing baby boomer that does drive a C-5 corvette. Very neat touring car that can go much faster then I care to drive. I usually drive in the right or center lane about 10 mph over the posted speed or a bit faster if traffic is doing 70 in a 55 zone (Manchester NH anytime of day). If I see someone coming up behind me at a much higher speed I pull over and let him pass and hope he finds a cop. Racing on an interstate highway is just too stupid for me. Too many cops and way too many Prius drivers. Not to mention Moose if you are fool enough to drive really fast at night.

I have been know to indulge in a bit of stoplight dragging. Had one guy in a rice rocket (modified Honda something or other) pull up and challenge me. I was driving my old Buick Roadmaster Station wagon. I knew the light cycle and when the light turned green I checked for any red light runners and then floored the pedal. The old LS-1 engine howled and I cleared the far side of the intersection before the jerk started to move. He was instantly on my bumper shaking his fist. As a friend said later, "He was shutdown by Santa Clause." Indeed.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:59 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post

What people don't realize too is the left lane law is only for highways and expressways not roads through towns or cities. Lots of people obviously have to make left turns onto streets and into businesses so they need to get into the left lane ahead of time to make the turn. That's what these aggressive drivers dont understand because they think they are purposely hogging the left lane going slow when in reality they are preparing for a turn most of the time.
I was driving on NY State Route 7 one time, which is 2 lanes in each direction, 45 MPH limit. It's not a highway, it passes through several towns before it runs into the city where I grew up, which was where I was heading to.

I was in the left lane and I had some clown with Florida plates behind me flashing his high beams at me trying to get me to move over or else go faster. I couldn't because I was already at the max speed limit, plus I had someone in front of me and to my right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive