Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 12:55 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,841,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Apparently it is a hard concept....

It was taking people evacuating hours to get gas and many couldn't get gas at all. Gas lines during evacuations or emergencies are common. There were long lines and empty gas stations by mid week last week. Multiple links to multiple stories about this issue have been posted in this thread.

I get that it is fun to make up scenarios that don't exist to try to prove a point you cannot otherwise prove but it is silly to keep saying you "can fill my tank in minutes" when that was demonstrably NOT the case for the majority of people trying to evacuate.
Some things are possible simply because they're a rarity not because of superior technology. If this is an attempt to play up EV technology, then it can easily be argued that the lines for a recharge 260 miles away from your home would be infinite.

Now that all of Florida seems to be without power, if any of the supercharger stations are down on the way home, you won't make it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 01:16 PM

79,899 posts, read 43,855,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Let me try again...

I can refill my tank in minutes... can't do that with batteries.

I can transfer fuel from many sources... other vehicles, my storage, etc. and it can be done in minutes.

Maybe this will help illustrate the point?

If my Electric car runs out of power on the Freeway... it will require a tow truck to pick it up for transport to the nearest Charging Station where it will need to stay for some time.

I my gasoline car runs out of gas on the Freeway... I can walk to the nearest gas station and CARRY back enough fuel easily to take me 75 miles...

It really is not a hard concept...

People gave up leaving because for whatever reason they failed to plan or have a viable contingency plan...
It does not matter. People had to turn around and go home because they could not get gas. None of what you wrote changes that.

All these replies because people are butt hurt over the choices others have made. No one is forcing anyone to buy any certain vehicle. This entire thread is about people upset because some people do not make the same choices they do and they are so insecure about that they feel this pressing need to condemn them for that.

It makes no sense. If someone made a bad choice, it's really not your problem.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:24 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,670,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It does not matter. People had to turn around and go home because they could not get gas. None of what you wrote changes that.

All these replies because people are butt hurt over the choices others have made. No one is forcing anyone to buy any certain vehicle. This entire thread is about people upset because some people do not make the same choices they do and they are so insecure about that they feel this pressing need to condemn them for that.

It is. I want to help

Old 09-12-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post

Now that all of Florida seems to be without power, if any of the supercharger stations are down on the way home, you won't make it home.
All of Florida is not without power. Why would you say this?

Old 09-12-2017, 01:51 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,109,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Takes maybe 5 minutes to fill a gas tank plus people evacuating have a gas can full in the trunk just in case. Gas stations are more common than charging stations.
Not true, as a cyclist I can tell you there are outdoor electrical outlets everywhere, I charge my phone at them all the time on long bike rides, infact most gas stations have outdoor plugs even the ones that no longer sell gas and are just connivance stores now. also most public parks and rest stops have outlets.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:08 PM

613 posts, read 936,537 times
Quote:

Ultrarunner sez:"If my Electric car runs out of power on the Freeway... it will require a tow truck to pick it up for transport to the nearest Charging Station where it will need to stay for some time.

I my gasoline car runs out of gas on the Freeway... I can walk to the nearest gas station and CARRY back enough fuel easily to take me 75 miles..."
Isn't that assuming that the gas car runs out of gas w/in a mile or 2 of a gas station......that hasn't run out of gas in an emergency? And as I recall, even 2-3 days ago in S. FL, there were 2 hour waits in line at gas stations. Bumper-to bumper traffic on I95 N. But we're supposed to believe that everyone here with a gasoline car has the foresight to have their vehicles fueled up at the first sign of trouble, to have 1-5 cans of extra fuel with them, & that all gas stations will be open & have gas......???

Old 09-12-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
All of Florida is not without power. Why would you say this?
Oh, I dunno:

Hurricane Irma: Two-thirds of Florida without power - BBC News

Old 09-12-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Not true, as a cyclist I can tell you there are outdoor electrical outlets everywhere, I charge my phone at them all the time on long bike rides, infact most gas stations have outdoor plugs even the ones that no longer sell gas and are just connivance stores now. also most public parks and rest stops have outlets.
Charging a Tesla theoretically takes 100 hours on a 110 V outlet. You know this. A 110V outlet is not a practical solution.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You did not prove the statement. You do realize that, right?

Old 09-12-2017, 02:53 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Apparently it is a hard concept....

It was taking people evacuating hours to get gas and many couldn't get gas at all. Gas lines during evacuations or emergencies are common. There were long lines and empty gas stations by mid week last week. Multiple links to multiple stories about this issue have been posted in this thread.

I get that it is fun to make up scenarios that don't exist to try to prove a point you cannot otherwise prove but it is silly to keep saying you "can fill my tank in minutes" when that was demonstrably NOT the case for the majority of people trying to evacuate.
I agree with you 100%... most people for what ever reason are lacking when it comes to planning.

It is not like this just happened... there were days leading up Florida Landfall.

You make a good point... I am not like most people... I have tractors, backhoes, keep drums of Bio Diesel, generators, food stores, have 1500 gallon water storage... etc.

A lot of my neighbors are Mormons... they ALL have food stores and supplies in house.

The last thing I would want to be is out scrounging when planning could have eliminated/mitigated the risk.

I'm responsible for emergency preparedness for a Hospital... this means power, water, security and being able to keep the doors open...

Some of my sister facilities flooded... can't take into every account under the sun but keeping a full gas tank and a couple of 5 gallon containers to rotate doesn't happen without some commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive