Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 02:58 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,598,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most people with Teslas probably stored their cars away instead of driving them North
Only if in a very secure location, nobody with a Tesla is taking a chance at having it dinged up in a hurricane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 04:00 PM

79,899 posts, read 43,855,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Except ICE owners are NOT in the same boat. A few of us have explained this numerous times. ICE owners can bring gas cans full of gas back with them, negating the need for those gas pumps to get home.
Nobody is carrying gas cans around in the back of the car with the kids. No one. Also, if you can not get gas for the cars (like is noted in the article) you can't get gas for your cans either.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most people with Teslas probably stored their cars away instead of driving them North. They don't want to take the risk of having to stop and can't find a charging station especially with the amount of traffic.

Unless you have a Model X, those Model S don't have much trunk space. Until Tesla comes out with a full-size SUV, truck, minivan, or larger vehicle it's mainly a city driving car.
I can only guess that you have not seen the space in a Model S. The rear trunk is huge and since there is no engine there is a decent size trunk in the front also. I believe the Tesla owners call it the frunk.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:07 PM

6,013 posts, read 6,588,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nobody is carrying gas cans around in the back of the car with the kids. No one. Also, if you can not get gas for the cars (like is noted in the article) you can't get gas for your cans either.
So you have inspected the trunks of cars, backs of trucks/suvs to determine this? I've seen it numerous times in an evacuation. Is it safe? Not really, but safer than the alternative of possibly being killed in a hurricane. Again, if you're making these claims it's obvious that you've never been in a hurricane evacuation. I have (3 times... Erin, Opal, and Ivan).

And you CAN get gas for the cans. People typically fill the cans as part of their prep BEFORE they decide if they have to leave or not. Just because people don't leave a week early doesn't mean they didn't take prep measures a week or better in advance to make sure they could leave if the time comes that they decide they need to. There are some that don't, and those people are stranded. But the majority of people who live in those areas do take at least some measures.

The way that prep typically works is that you prepare the house with everything you need to ride out the storm. Food, water, repair items, generator, fuel, etc.... Then you also prepare for the possibility of having to leave quickly. That consists of a bug out bag (clothes, meds, food, water, etc...) and your gas cans are kept by the vehicle in the event that you need to give up the idea to stay and leave asap.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So you have inspected the trunks of cars, backs of trucks/suvs to determine this? I've seen it numerous times in an evacuation. Is it safe? Not really, but safer than the alternative of possibly being killed in a hurricane. Again, if you're making these claims it's obvious that you've never been in a hurricane evacuation. I have (3 times... Erin, Opal, and Ivan).
People turned around and went home because they could not get gas. Hence, they are not carrying loads of fuel in the back of their cars.

Quote:
And you CAN get gas for the cans. People typically fill the cans as part of their prep BEFORE they decide if they have to leave or not. Just because people don't leave a week early doesn't mean they didn't take prep measures a week or better in advance to make sure they could leave if the time comes that they decide they need to. There are some that don't, and those people are stranded. But the majority of people who live in those areas do take at least some measures.

The way that prep typically works is that you prepare the house with everything you need to ride out the storm. Food, water, repair items, generator, fuel, etc.... Then you also prepare for the possibility of having to leave quickly. That consists of a bug out bag (clothes, meds, food, water, etc...) and your gas cans are kept by the vehicle in the event that you need to give up the idea to stay and leave asap.
Again, theory does not interest me. We are discussing what happened.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:35 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,670,687 times
Quote:
People turned around and went home because they could not get gas. Hence, they are not carrying loads of fuel in the back of their cars.

Quote:
Yes, people turned around and went home because they could not get gas because other people before them had the foresight to bring extra cans and fill up their car and cans for impending hurricane.

You're telling me absolutely NO ONE had the foresight to prepare by filling up their car and extra gas containers? Now who is the one talking about theory vs what actually happened.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:35 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,841,384 times
Quote:

What happened was millions of gas powered cars safely evacuated and made it back despite your claims nobody could get gas.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yes, people turned around and went home because they could not get gas because other people before them had the foresight to bring extra cans and fill up their car and cans for impending hurricane.

You're telling me absolutely NO ONE had the foresight to prepare by filling up their car and extra gas containers? Now who is the one talking about theory vs what actually happened.
People turned around and went home because they could not get gas. People in electric cars got out and then got back home.

Those are the facts and what the thread was asking.

Did a small number of people carry around gas cans in the back of their cars? I imagine so, but in insignificant numbers.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
What happened was millions of gas powered cars safely evacuated and made it back despite your claims nobody could get gas.
I never said that. It never fails that this tact is tried.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:13 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,841,384 times
Quote:
I never said that. It never fails that this tact is tried.
Then get over it already.

You've been going around in the same circles on the discussion for days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive