Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 04:33 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
But you're always in debt. That new car will be old and broken because you can't maintain it regardless of what it is.

Yeah well that was just one car that was not driven a lot. The rest all have 165/178/175k mikes. So it's in line with a daily driver. So why do my vehicles look like new inside and out and seem to be reliable even though they are 18/16/13 years old? Because when something wears I fix it.
I could sell my 99 and my 01 diesels for as much or more as a diesel 4-5 years newer. But it's pointless. Right now my vehicles are paid off and running costs are low. I mean we're talking old cars here right?
People start seeing the car needing "repairs" and they dump it to get a new car with no problems. Where the repairs were actually needed maintenance or wear items. But they talk themselves in a new car.

I had a friend who had a Trailblazer. Ok enough car ran fine. It ended up needing about $1800 in repairs
Tires
Front shocks
Accessory belt
Front brakes
Throttle pedal assembly

The only thing on that list that was a actual repair was the throttle pedal. She traded it in. They gave her 1900 on trade. She got in some SUV for 32,000 at 9% loan plus fees. That's after I talked to the guy on the phone dropping the price another 2k from to bring it to 32,000.
There was absolutely nothing else wrong with the trailblazers her than the listed items. But she strapped on a 32 loan at 9% for 7 years. With no money down.

I don't much care what people do with their money, spend it however you wish to. It's your dime. If you want to be in debt forever then make payments. I have no interest in doing so. If I need a new vehicle I'll go buy one not on credit.
Being in debt isn't a stigma I worry about. I'm driving nicer newer stuff and using somebody else's money to do it for a finance fee that's less than most people's cable bill. I have a house payment also. And maxed out retirement contributions. I'm sure you're not just living in a cabin in the woods living as frugally as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 04:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Being in debt isn't a stigma I worry about. I'm driving nicer newer stuff and using somebody else's money to do it for a finance fee that's less than most people's cable bill. I have a house payment also. And maxed out retirement contributions. I'm sure you're not just living in a cabin in the woods living as frugally as possible.

That's ok man. As long as you can still hang if the economy craps out or lose your job I don't care how you sustain your lifestyle. Most people depend on their job to sustain some sort of extravagant lifestyle. And if they lose that job they eventually crash and burn. Some sooner than others. At one time I was like that. I decided there had to be a better way. I figured it out. I realized I was doing it the wrong way. I changed tactics.

No I dont live the Ted Kazinsky lifestyle. I spend. I just don't spend willie nillie on everything I see.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:18 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That's ok man. As long as you can still hang if the economy craps out or lose your job I don't care how you sustain your lifestyle. Most people depend on their job to sustain some sort of extravagant lifestyle. And if they lose that job they eventually crash and burn. Some sooner than others. At one time I was like that. I decided there had to be a better way. I figured it out. I realized I was doing it the wrong way. I changed tactics.

No I dont live the Ted Kazinsky lifestyle. I spend. I just don't spend willie nillie on everything I see.
My life isn't extravagant by any means. I've got neighbors buying brand new $70k fishing boats and a new truck to pull it. I met a couple who "upgraded" their boat with a $90k diesel option. I know people who spend more at restaurants all month than I spend in car payments.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
My life isn't extravagant by any means. I've got neighbors buying brand new $70k fishing boats and a new truck to pull it. I met a couple who "upgraded" their boat with a $90k diesel option. I know people who spend more at restaurants all month than I spend in car payments.
We all make choices on spending. It's not that I don't spend money and hoard it all under my mattress. When I need something I have the money to buy it. I don't need to spend all the money I make to buy stuff to make myself feel better or prove anything. I simply don't spend as much as I make. But if I need something? Sure I'll get it.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:12 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Heh, I've been leasing a new vehicle every 3 years for the past 20 and would never do it different. I love having a new vehicle and I can afford it so why not.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:41 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
This discussion is so influenced by income.
It just different for some of you.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:23 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Using words like "at the end of a lease you have no vehicle" and "With a lease, every penny spent goes into a black hole where it will never return" clearly indicates that you don't understand how leases work. Lease, buy, or pay cash, the car is still going to depreciate the same amount. In any of the above scenarios, your will have no vehicle if you choose to turn the car in at the end of lease or sell a car you paid cash for or financed. No matter how you slice it, the car is going to depreciate the same amount. Leasing is just another way to pay for that depreciation and you've lost the depreciation whether or not you keep the car.

I understand exactly how leases work. The point that I was trying to make is that at the end of the lease, you either lease again or have no vehicle. At the end of buying a car or making a repair, you still have transportation. You have no option at the end of the lease but to turn it in or buy it. That's not the same with one you bought.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:10 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I understand exactly how leases work. The point that I was trying to make is that at the end of the lease, you either lease again or have no vehicle. At the end of buying a car or making a repair, you still have transportation. You have no option at the end of the lease but to turn it in or buy it. That's not the same with one you bought.
Those seems like two pretty good options. If you get a good enough lease deal (do your research) you are now empowered to make the best decision for you when the lease is up. It's not like if you end up terminating the lease and giving back the car there are no other cars for you to purchase/lease and have to walk the rest of your life.

Turn it around and say you finance a car and it turns out to be a dud. Issues all around. Now you're stuck with it and you know you'll lose money on it if you sell due to all the issues. If you had leased it after 3 years you simply hand over the keys and walk away. No additional out of pocket because it was under full mfg warranty anyways. It cuts both ways.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:15 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
You can theoretically repair a car forever, however there's nothing worry free about an old POS that blows a head gasket in the middle of the desert on a long trip with your whole family on board. There's something to be said about "reliable" transportation.

If you're broke, buying a $40k truck shouldn't be in the equation. If you're not broke and have your act together, buy whatever you want. The point in making money is spending it the way you want and living the lifestyle you want to live, otherwise we'd just be a bunch of hippy communists.

I bought a brand new oldsmobile in 1988. While driving it with just under 700 miles on it,it died on the highway. The "brain" went out. ANY vehicle new or old can break down and be immobile.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I bought a brand new oldsmobile in 1988. While driving it with just under 700 miles on it,it died on the highway. The "brain" went out. ANY vehicle new or old can break down and be immobile.

Why yes, No one said otherwise. But with a new car warranty, you get a loaner car and someone else pays for that and the repair. if it's your old beater, you live without it until it's fixed at your expense. Sucks if it's your only car and you have to get to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive