Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:25 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times

Advertisements

IMO, the first video, the guy was passing, maybe not as fast as you would've liked, and you could have given him a few more seconds to see what his intentions are before you cut in too close to the guy in the center lane. Personally, if I pass on the left, I'll tend to stay out there if there is more traffic up ahead in the center lane, and nobody behind me that I may be blocking.....no sense in playing leep frog with traffic. I probably would of done the same if I were passing someone, and a car rode my arse trying to push me (which doesn't work on me...push all you like), but as soon as I was clear, I would signal, and move over at first opportunity that wouldn't get me boxed in....if the person is behind and not pushing.....I may actually speed it up a bit to complete the pass quicker, but push me, I'll maintain and move over when I can.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:49 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
So you complain about left lane hoggers and them violating a keep right law while following way to close, unsafe lane change and exceeding the posted speed limit by 10 mph at night? While the left lane hogger certainly could be violating the law you most certainly are doing so. Are you trying to excuse your behavior because of theirs? How does that work when kids use that excuse with their parents?

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 09-12-2017 at 09:01 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 08:54 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Btw are you driving a Subaru?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Second video again. Fixed.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Btw are you driving a Subaru?
No, I was driving a Honda Pilot. As for breaking the speed limit. I could go 65 and still be at their tails. These folks are blocking traffic as the police regularly use left lanes and should be kept free for faster cars regardless.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
IMO, the first video, the guy was passing, maybe not as fast as you would've liked, and you could have given him a few more seconds to see what his intentions are before you cut in too close to the guy in the center lane. Personally, if I pass on the left, I'll tend to stay out there if there is more traffic up ahead in the center lane, and nobody behind me that I may be blocking.....no sense in playing leep frog with traffic. I probably would of done the same if I were passing someone, and a car rode my arse trying to push me (which doesn't work on me...push all you like), but as soon as I was clear, I would signal, and move over at first opportunity that wouldn't get me boxed in....if the person is behind and not pushing.....I may actually speed it up a bit to complete the pass quicker, but push me, I'll maintain and move over when I can.
The danger of waiting too long could be when you approach traffic and get boxed and other cars trying to get around you as you make your move this can cause an accident and usually a multi car accident with you and cars in the front losing control. The car behind will likely survive or have better chance of survival. The drunk driver always survive because it had the advantage.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:31 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
You can bet, the car pushing will also be involved and likely be at fault of a rear end accident......I can see what is ahead, you behind me pushing, cannot see a blessed thing....unless you can see thru my tailgate. In the first video, the person you cut in on could of swerved and lost control due to your slick move.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:34 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Um, they absolutely were violating the keep right law. That is not the way it's supposed to work. From 0:21 on, there were no cars to the right of them in any lane, except the one that was passing them. Just because you pass a couple of cars, doesn't give you the right to stay in the passing lane for the next hour. You pass them, then you move over. If somebody passes you on the right, then you are in violation of the keep right law. It's not rocket science.
At 19 seconds, the lead car had only JUST passed the car in the center lane. At 21 seconds, he couldn't have even been two or three car-lengths ahead of him. That's too soon to change lanes if the speeds are 60 miles per hour. At 24 seconds, the OP starts passing on the right, which makes it unsafe for the guy to move over anyway. You folks are bitching because in the span of just five or six seconds, the lead car didn't cut off the guy to his right to get out of the OP's way as fast as you thought he should.

At 26 seconds, you can clearly see that there was in fact traffic further on up ahead, because the OP then moves back into the left lane to get around them. Perhaps the red car would have had space to move over, had the OP not unsafely cut over to the center lane to pass on the right.

Quote:
If they don't like getting tailgated, they should get their asses out of the passing lane and get over in the slow poke lane where 90 year old ladies drive. When you force other drivers to pass you on the right, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.
There is not one part of the highway, in any situation at all where tailgating is EVER acceptable. It's dangerous, and those who do it are menaces on the roadway who should have their licenses revoked. If you keep it up, you will eventually wreck, guaranteed. All it takes is one sudden mishap, and you're in the guy's trunk, and the law won't have any sympathy for you.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
"Tailgating N.J.S.A. 39:4-89 is a violation when a driver follows another vehicle more closely than reasonable considering the speed of the vehicles, the conditions of the roadway and the amount of traffic on the road.

Truck drivers commit this offense when they drive on a highway within 100 feet of another truck.

Conviction to this offense carries a fine up to $200 although the fine may be doubled in a construction zone, safe corridor or 65 MPH zone.

Defendant may be incarcerated up to 15 days for violation of this statute, although courts would only consider exercising such extreme discretion if the charge accompanied a serious motor vehicle accident that caused others serious bodily injuries and where the defendant was clearly at fault. (That would have been in this situation in the videos if an accident had occurred.)

Although courts are not required to suspend a license following a conviction for following too closely, courts may exercise such discretion upon finding that the violation was willful. (Again, this would apply to the willful violation of the tailgating statute on the part of the OP in the videos.)

The suspension period is left to the discretion of the court.

In addition, five motor vehicle and five insurance points attach to a conviction for this offense.

If everyone is lucky, including the OP, he will simply end up without a license. If everyone is not lucky, he could end up in jail.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:02 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
what? the stupid idiot in the left lane NEEDS TO GET OVER IF they are not passing
And people should be following the speed limit. Not everybody is following the rules so just pass them on the right and move on with your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive