Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 04:08 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times

Advertisements

Volkswagen believes Tesla is not a threat and plans to stick with diesel engines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 06:46 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
That's funny because I always though the German's only answer to making fuel efficient cars was to stick a diesel in it.
They may be onto something from a free market economy standpoint because despite all the regulations and incentives European countries make on EVs, few countries have more than 1% EV market penetration. That's even in a continent with expensive gas. With the exception of Norway of course because honestly their gas cars are so heavily taxed and EVs are so heavily incentivized, it makes no sense to drive a gas car.

However with all the European countries and China trying to go all EV soon, they may find themselves in a bad position in a few years. I would suggest the slip a few EVs out there just to stay on top of the curve.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
World wide sales & production.. Tesla is not a threat to VW (we all know WHY (except VW CEO...),, Who wants a vw anyway? )....

Tesla is not a threat to diesel autos (we all know why, except Tesla CEO... ) That is OK, he has plenty of 'opportunity without 'knocking' off diesel auto technology. )

CARB is a threat to diesel auto technology (in USA), and will essentially kill / control the USA market.

In the end WE (US consumers) will pay dearly (as usual...).

50 mpg since 1976... no dinosaurs / fossil fuels / toxic batteries / or high energy production expenses / materials required.

I will probably only be driving for 40 more yrs, and likely still be driving my 1976...

Works for me... YMMV.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:17 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Then why did they announce an $84 billion investment in EV technology and facilities and make plans to offer an EV model of every vehicle they will offer by 2030?

VW announce $84 billion investment in electric cars at Frankfurt Motor Show 2017 | Cars | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

Old 09-16-2017, 12:28 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Tesla's still no threat until they can turn a profit and rope someone into opening a dealership.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:33 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Technology and metallurgy that exists today... I'd not be surprised to see a high revving diesel V8 V10.

Problem is the emissions crap that chokes them up and destroys them.

UNTIL these "engineers" pull their heads out of their behinds to draft EGR post aftertreatment a diesel will need the emissions equipment deletes to go the million mile mark issue free. Along with a vaporizer for the DPF it's own dedicated injector.
Even then after playing with trucks on dynos and seeing a 5 gas analyzer hooked in the tail pipe with a properly tuned truck, no significant change in emissions to warrant the need and use of an EGR system or DPF.

Bad tunes = roll coal. Roll coal = waste of fuel and potential damage.

I say tune and delete, ditch torque to yield head bolts, replace with studs for more clamping force, throw a cooler thermostat in. Kind of defeats the purpose to Kill N0X emissions when you're running higher temperatures and leaner fuel mixtures. High pressure low volume common rail systems are where it's at today.
Want to run an EGR system? Do it without soot. Draft it post after treatment, stop clogging up EGR coolers causing ruptures and catastrophic failures.

Tell the consumer to run these things hard like they stole them to keep turbo vanes from sticking, and to go into a passive regeneration to burn the soot out via heat, not fuel.

Non emissions trucks run forever. Idle forever. These things... pfft. Forget it.

They're good once you ditch the emissions junk.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:25 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Technology and metallurgy that exists today... I'd not be surprised to see a high revving diesel V8 V10.

Problem is the emissions crap that chokes them up and destroys them.

UNTIL these "engineers" pull their heads out of their behinds to draft EGR post aftertreatment a diesel will need the emissions equipment deletes to go the million mile mark issue free. Along with a vaporizer for the DPF it's own dedicated injector.
Even then after playing with trucks on dynos and seeing a 5 gas analyzer hooked in the tail pipe with a properly tuned truck, no significant change in emissions to warrant the need and use of an EGR system or DPF.

Bad tunes = roll coal. Roll coal = waste of fuel and potential damage.

I say tune and delete, ditch torque to yield head bolts, replace with studs for more clamping force, throw a cooler thermostat in. Kind of defeats the purpose to Kill N0X emissions when you're running higher temperatures and leaner fuel mixtures. High pressure low volume common rail systems are where it's at today.
Want to run an EGR system? Do it without soot. Draft it post after treatment, stop clogging up EGR coolers causing ruptures and catastrophic failures.

Tell the consumer to run these things hard like they stole them to keep turbo vanes from sticking, and to go into a passive regeneration to burn the soot out via heat, not fuel.

Non emissions trucks run forever. Idle forever. These things... pfft. Forget it.

They're good once you ditch the emissions junk.
Engineers have to work with the constraints they have. They're not going to delete any emissions junk because it won't be able to sell it anywhere.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:37 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Tesla must fix their distribution problem ASAP.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:59 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Engineers have to work with the constraints they have. They're not going to delete any emissions junk because it won't be able to sell it anywhere.
Nope but they can heed the advice I offer for free and do exactly as I had suggested to prevent catastrophic engine failure.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Tesla must fix their distribution problem ASAP.
Yes, I think you're correct. I'd very much like to own a Tesla, for several reasons. But, there is no Tesla service center in Tucson. The closest to my AZ place is three hours away in Phoenix. It would be nuts for me to buy a Tesla under those conditions.

Perhaps if Tesla released it's death-grip on their autos and charging stations I believe they'd find they'd grow more quickly.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive