Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:32 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Possible suicide? It just seems too weird to take a car up to high speed in a straight line and completely lose it like that for no reason. Forgetting about the end of the runway doesn't make much sense to me.
That thought did cross my mind also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Without the whole story, certainly seems like an odd way to have an accident. On a runway with clear sight and not a winding road makes it a question. Could be simply an accident, but maybe something medical or a malfunction with the car? Suicide is possible, but a double one or one where the other never saw it coming?

Old 09-13-2017, 07:59 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Last 3 guys - I explained what happened. It's simple. If you have ever been down a dragstrip all you see is flat pavement coming at you at 100MPH plus. All this happens in seconds. No lights, no way you know when to stop until it's too late.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
While reading the article I find it rather funny that a person who reports on cars says "That someone died in a 707-horsepower Hellcat is, sadly, not unexpected." leading me to believe he has some kind of anti-fast car bias? Maybe he should only report on Prius cars?

Why is is "sadly not unexpected"? Because the car is fast as hell or that incompetent people drive and do things they are not prepared for?

Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
While reading the article I find it rather funny that a person who reports on cars says "That someone died in a 707-horsepower Hellcat is, sadly, not unexpected." leading me to believe he has some kind of anti-fast car bias? Maybe he should only report on Prius cars?

Why is is "sadly not unexpected"? Because the car is fast as hell or that incompetent people drive and do things they are not prepared for?
Yes.

People don't go to a track and jump into high power cars without having to acknowledge what they are about to do is dangerous; they get instruction, wear helmets and other safety equipment, and they are taught to be safe.

To get into an extreme high power manufacturer car and go blasting down the "road" without a thought for how to handle it and what safety precautions should be taken is just stupid.

Just another episode of "Darwin's Garage!"

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 09-13-2017 at 09:23 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 08:26 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:

A 700 horsepower vehicle in the hands of the average driver is a disaster waiting to happen. Cars with that type of power require proper training and safety equipment to use in a responsible manner. IMO, allowing any licensed driver to purchase and drive these types of cars on public roads is a horrible idea. There is simply no use for that much horsepower on anything other than a dragstrip or racetrack.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:35 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Last 3 guys - I explained what happened. It's simple. If you have ever been down a dragstrip all you see is flat pavement coming at you at 100MPH plus. All this happens in seconds. No lights, no way you know when to stop until it's too late.
^^^^ This is what happened. Any of us who drag race know that the lights and other markers at the end of the strip are your clues to get off the gas and get on the brakes. It takes a long time to bring a car down from those speeds, hence the long shut off areas at strips. Sometimes the shut off areas even go up a grade to help slow you down.

They simply didn't know the pavement ended and went off the end. Typical high performance car, low performance driver problem.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:56 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I wouldn't exactly say that. I drive one as a daily driver since April, and the car actually handles pretty good for a big car. No, it does not handle like a sports car, but it's a little better than just straight line. I have a blast going through snake road everyday to work, and where others have gone off the really deep end, I haven't even come close to doing that. You have to know your car limitations, and respect the power you have in your controls.
Indeed. A big honker can be lots of fun. Long ago I learned to drive in a 4700 lb. Sedan deVille. I was a bit of a hot shoe, that car would handle pretty well within its tires' limits. Tires are usually the limiting factor.
You just have to be comfortable hauling a big tank around. It can be done, it's done every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I'm trying to figure out the skid marks ?......no ABS ?....or were they sideways ?....swerving ?....once they hit grass at 100+ nothing gonna stop that car
ABS leaves skid marks. Crash reconstructionists analyze the strips where the brakes lock briefly as the ABS cycles on and off.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:07 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Possible suicide? It just seems too weird to take a car up to high speed in a straight line and completely lose it like that for no reason. Forgetting about the end of the runway doesn't make much sense to me.
Death by dragstrip? I'd check the medical histories . . .

Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:

All the time. Which is why you do not send someone out in a car like this without a dealer representative going along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive