Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:26 PM

52 posts, read 47,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I got that feeling back in 2010 after a move to Alaska followed by a divorce. Cash for clunkers had been such a success that I was left unable to afford a new car and yet there was very little on the used market.
I ended up with a hateful Ford Focus, it was bottom of the range, which meant it had wind up windows no central locking and a stick shift, the seats were like park benches and it handled like crap in the snow, possibly its only redeeming quality with gas at nearly $5 gallon it managed 30mpg.

I stuck with it for 2 years until I honestly couldn't stand it any longer and switched up to a nice Mercedes ML with all the mod cons that we now expect from the 21st century. This also finally wore out its welcome when in true German car fashion everything electric started to do its own thing.

Not one to learn a lesson well I am now bored and wanting to change my Audi A4 which has also developed a liking for the workshop, really not sure where to look for my next vehicle, until I find it I am driving our GMC 2500HD which is probably the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
Ahh German vehicles... they do have an affinity for the repair shop!
Even buying one brand new is liken to playing Russian roulette.
To bad really because I do like the looks & styling of most BMW’s. I made the mistake of buying one brand new once but that’s a story for another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 11:32 PM

103 posts, read 76,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I'm wondering what kicks off that feeling more than anything. Do they just wake up one day, look at their car and be like "You know, I'm sick of looking at that car, yesterday it was fine but today I'm tired of it". Just doesn't make much sense to me.
Just went through this...I usually keep my car for years, past the point I should.($$$ in repairs etc.) I CRY when I have to sell it.

But the past three years I traded three times. I just couldn't bond with the thing. Granted there were some issues, too much brake dust and a motor sound I hated, a CVT on another that made driving miserable, and an undisclosed alignment issue on a used Equinox. It was weird. I have no explanation for it at all, only telling you because yeah, it does happen and it's bizarre.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:44 PM

103 posts, read 76,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
This is why houses need plenty of garage space. My ideal situation would be to have a car collection, minimum of 20 cars and none of them would be new.

My daughter spotted a 1965 MGB that she fell in love with. She asked me all about it. I have always been a fan of MG's. We are in the process of looking for the right car for her. She is only 11 but has fallen for the MG. Prices are good for now so we will look to see what we can get our hands on.
Wait a second, what???? How is this possible? I fell in love with a red MGBGT when I was 12. I totally get your daugher! My dad, however would not hear of it. At all. I'm still mad at him to this day...BUT, he was right to put me in a four door sedan to navigate Sunset Blvd. I had to drive to school. Oh well.

Your daughter is so lucky!

Old 09-27-2017, 07:37 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,704 times
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy! Can you afford to buy a new car? Does it bother you that somebody can afford to buy another car or a new car?

People who are not mechanics understand that a new or newer car has less problems than an older car. Some vehicles last longer than others without having to do major work on them.

Why laugh at people?? That is kind of immature you know. I have bought quite a few new Toyotas and did not have to take them in for any type of repair until they needed a brake job.

I always wonder why people can't seem to understand that we are not all alike. For some people they like something new. After all there are people who spend a lot of time driving. They want something newer or that has new technology. Others like a vehicle that is reliable and dependable. It is there money and they can do what they like with it.

I really think that there are people who don't want you to make money off of repairing cars!

Old 09-27-2017, 08:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Most people get along just fine with two or three vehicles. A three car garage is quite common. A 20 car garage, not so common.
Very true. But then who wants to be most people?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:49 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,704 times
For some people, a vehicle is to get from one point to another.

For others, it's about what kind of vehicle they drive. There are a number of cars and SUVs that I would like to own and drive for a few years, but I can't afford to do this. I have to keep them at least for 5-6 years.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:12 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I've heard lots of people in my life say "I'm tired of looking at my car, I'm thinking about getting another one" or "I'm bored with this car, I'm going to get another one". I can't understand this way of thinking at all. Personally, I find comfort in familiarity and can't stand getting new things and am not a big fan of when things change. I tend to hold onto something as long as I possibly can, and would much rather fix it than replace it. I also know both my vehicles like the back of my hand and see no reason to start from scratch with another car that has a whole host of unknown issues.

I know this feeling of "getting tired of looking at something" carries over to more things than cars, but I'm just trying to understand the mindset of someone who thinks/feels this way, because for the life of me I just can't understand it. Also always gave me a good laugh when people said "I'm having too many problems with my car, I'm going to get another one". I wanted to bust out laughing in their face, because if they think that another car will never have any problems, they are in for a rude awakening. They haven't engineered a car yet that doesn't break, fixing them is how I earn my living!
You are doing the right thing for your age. You should not buy anything new, only old cheap cars. Buy a house, and another as many as you can manage. Invest in the markets, start small but make it a habit.

Living in WV, no degree, will eventually hurt you income potential. What looks good at 22, will be mediocre at 42. WV is not known as a high salary state.

Unless there is something seriously wrong with you, or you are as ugly as a can of worms, you will most likely be married within six years. That’s good, two incomes are better than one.

I bought my first new car at age 28, a 1967 Olds 442, payed cash, my reward after returning from Vietnam. I still own this car, not because it’s great, only sentimental reasons.

Now that we are financially secure, I buy whatever we like, and we like MB cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive