Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:59 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times

Advertisements

.....And the award goes to a blonde with her phone super-glued to the side of her head while she's trying cut people off from the exit ramp.

So, let me explain. Picture this: You have a two lane highway heading toward a traffic light. Before the traffic light, an exit lane forms which exits traffic off to your right before the traffic light. The speed limit is 55 MPH. I'm in the right lane, behind another car. We're both maybe going a little over the limit, but not enough to get us pulled. I'm in that lane so that I can exit off to the right once passed the traffic light.

So, blondie is approaching behind us pretty fast. She's in a VW CUV type of vehicle. When she gets right up on my bumper, I'm just a few yards from the traffic light. She gets into the exit lane to my right. Me and the car in front of me maintains our speed as we're getting ready to head under the light. Blonde girl gets into the exit lane and tries to pass us. At the time, I had no idea if she was actually exiting off or what she was going to do. It was apparent when the exit lane was turning sharp and she kept going straight. She tried to cut me off from being off the road (yes, she went off the road and still trying to get back into the lane), but I wouldn't let her. As I passed, she was on her phone.

I could understand if there were no indications that the lane she had gotten into was an exit lane, but it actually had "exit lane" in big bold letters, more than once, written in the lane, and there was a big yellow sign above the lane saying, "Exit lane only!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 07:01 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Ridiculous. You should have called the cops on her. distracted driving is near as bad as drunk driving.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Ridiculous. You should have called the cops on her. distracted driving is near as bad as drunk driving.
Probably should have. I had thought about it. Unfortunately, this is not the first time I have witnessed this very same thing. Just last week, I was at a stop light in the left lane, a car was in the right lane. A big, black, SUV was flying down the road in the right lane, swerved into the exit lane to the right and went through the red light, got back into the right lane. It was shear luck that nobody was coming when the car crossed the intersection.

A few years ago, I was stopped at a red light. Red light turns green, and as soon as I start to go, this girl passes me by swerving into the wrong lane, passes me in the intersection, and cuts me off. She was driving so fast that I couldn't find her car up the road, and I'm not a slow driver at all.

But yesterday just seemed to take the cake for me, because I was able to get a good look at the driver, and she never even acknowledged me (probably too scared to look my way), but she had that phone plastered to her ear.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:28 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,479,051 times
It might not be a bad idea to surgically implant cell phones to women driver's ears. That way they could have both hands free to put on the wheel.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:20 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
It might not be a bad idea to surgically implant cell phones to women driver's ears. That way they could have both hands free to put on the wheel.
That wouldn't prevent the situation in the OP. Is there something that can be surgically implanted that will make pay attention to the road?

Old 09-27-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
That's the thing. She was driving a newer model VW SUV. I am pretty sure she probably has bluetooth/hands-free already installed in her vehicle, yet she had the phone stuck up to her ear.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:34 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Don't worry, the police already have a list of who to pull over. Which means they're too busy to go after the real problems, like what the O.P. experienced.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That wouldn't prevent the situation in the OP. Is there something that can be surgically implanted that will make pay attention to the road?
Like a brain? LOL!!! And just so people know, I am not bagging on blonde women (or women drivers in particular). I've seen just as stupid driving from men around this town. People seem to be programmed that they must get in front of as many vehicles on the road as possible, at whatever the cost and however they can do it. You may ask, why didn't she just try to pass the "slower" traffic by getting into the passing lane on the left? Well, you had some cruisers in the left lane who were actually going slower than us in the right lane, but technically, they were going the speed limit. We (me and the car in front of me) were actually going faster. The woman could have easily stayed behind me long enough that she would have gotten through the intersection and the slower people in the left lane, and then she could have gotten over and passed to her hearts content. But instead, she tried to pass by getting into the right exit lane and trying to cut people off at the intersection, but she failed.

There's another area on my way home where people do something similar on a daily basis. The exit ramp leads up to a set of traffic lights. You have two lanes turning right and one turning left. The left most right turn lane leads into the lane that is a left turn only. (Following me so far? Good!) The right most right turning lane leads onto a drive through lane (drive through the next set of traffic lights you get to.) There are people who use the left turn lane to cut people off who are in the right lane. And many, many times, I've seen people in that left turn lane drive all the way into the middle of the intersection and then cut the people off in the right lane. This usually happens on the drive home, so I guess they're all wanting to hurry up and get home so they can crack open a cold one and mow their lawn.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:12 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Like a brain? LOL!!! And just so people know, I am not bagging on blonde women (or women drivers in particular). I've seen just as stupid driving from men around this town. People seem to be programmed that they must get in front of as many vehicles on the road as possible, at whatever the cost and however they can do it. You may ask, why didn't she just try to pass the "slower" traffic by getting into the passing lane on the left? Well, you had some cruisers in the left lane who were actually going slower than us in the right lane, but technically, they were going the speed limit. We (me and the car in front of me) were actually going faster. The woman could have easily stayed behind me long enough that she would have gotten through the intersection and the slower people in the left lane, and then she could have gotten over and passed to her hearts content. But instead, she tried to pass by getting into the right exit lane and trying to cut people off at the intersection, but she failed.

There's another area on my way home where people do something similar on a daily basis. The exit ramp leads up to a set of traffic lights. You have two lanes turning right and one turning left. The left most right turn lane leads into the lane that is a left turn only. (Following me so far? Good!) The right most right turning lane leads onto a drive through lane (drive through the next set of traffic lights you get to.) There are people who use the left turn lane to cut people off who are in the right lane. And many, many times, I've seen people in that left turn lane drive all the way into the middle of the intersection and then cut the people off in the right lane. This usually happens on the drive home, so I guess they're all wanting to hurry up and get home so they can crack open a cold one and mow their lawn.
All reasons I often tailgate. It's not about the driver in front of me, it's about the ones to either side of me!

Old 09-27-2017, 07:27 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ChLoGLlIPTc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive