Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which truck would you prefer
Nissan Titan 13 18.57%
Toyota Tundra 47 67.14%
Honda Ridgeline 10 14.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:27 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Truck? It's really between the Toyota & Nissan. The Honda isn't a real truck. It's a car that looks like one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 10:30 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Really? Show me. I went to the manufacturer's website for each one. GM and Dodge only offer an 8' bed with regular cab. Ford offers it with the "super"cab that has little suicide doors, but not the crew.

But maybe I'm stupid and couldn't find it? I'll wait for your reply. If you are FOS once again, I'll take it as a clear signal to avoid you, since you are obviously just making stuff up.

I've already shown you, so if you refuse to read it I can't help you out.

Quote:
I'm curious which one that is?

I've been playing with the manufacturer's configurators and for what I wanted (double cab, 8' bed, 4x4, V8, tow package) the Tundra is cheaper. I only paid $31.2k for mine (MSRP was $35k). At higher trim levels maybe the Ford looks better?

Another thing I noticed is that to get the most powerful engine in the Big 3 (that will have the best acceleration and towing) you have to upgrade to higher trim levels. The Tundra's most powerful 5.7l V8 engine is standard even in the lowest trim 4x4. So while the Big 3 offer options that exceed the Tundra in acceleration and towing, you have to pay a lot more to get it. A tow hitch, tow-haul mode, and trailer brake controller, and 4.33 axle ratio are also standard on the Tundra.

Speaking of axle ratios, why is this not part of the EPA ratings? The Big 3 offer all sorts of gearing options, so which is the mpg rating based on?

Why do you think the Tundra is cheaper (and even so it's within a few thousand)? Think on that for a minute.

Anyhow it's obvious that you love your Tundra. Good for you. That still doesn't mean that you can try to justify why it is "better" than one of the Big 3. If it were, sales would be higher and more people would drive them.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
The Big 3 half tons are made for city people. That's why they have all the creature comforts of a luxury sedan, cost a fortune, and they still sell millions of them. Most people live in cities. If they only sold to country folk, they wouldn't sell many.

72% of United States' land area belongs to rural counties, but in 2014, just 46.2 million Americans (roughly 15% of the population of the country at the time) lived in these areas.

The Tundra gets slammed in the reviews because it is lacking in some of the metrosexual features that seem to be in demand. If you want an actual truck (and assuming that a half ton will fit your needs) and don't want to spend a fortune, it is the clear winner in performance and value. But rural people are particularly "buy American" and brand loyal, and shun the Tundra for being foreign. Even though it is designed and built in the US, and has more US content than any other truck save the Ford.

That's odd..... if they were made for city people, why would they even need high tow ratings, V8s, integrated brake controllers, etc? They're made to work, but in the past decade the push has been made to make a work truck more comfortable which in turn makes it more versatile. When you can work in your truck and then take it out for the weekend that means people don't need two vehicles to accomplish all of their goals.

The Tundra gets slammed in reviews because it cannot keep up. Plain and simple. It's not the clear winner in performance and value because it a)underperforms against the Big 3 and b) doesn't give you as many features as the Big 3. That's been proven time and again.

"Rural" people buy the Big 3 because they know that in the event of an issue, it can often times be repaired the same day by running to a part store and grabbing a part. Remember, Ford sticks the V8 in more than just the truck which means there are more of those engines on the road. Same with GM and Dodge. Toyota sticks the 5.7L in the Tundra and the Sequoia. Since there are a lot less of them on the road, it makes finding parts much more difficult.

Again, supply and demand. There is a much higher demand for the Big 3 for a reason. It isn't brand loyalty as much as it is availability. Should be common sense.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:37 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I've already shown you, so if you refuse to read it I can't help you out.
Amazing... just amazing. A double cab and LWB does not mean that it has a 8' bed! Look it up.

Quote:
Why do you think the Tundra is cheaper (and even so it's within a few thousand)? Think on that for a minute.
Because Toyota hasn't wasted millions of $$$ with constant "updating". A smart decision since they aren't going to lure many people away from the Big 3 regardless. They are trying to retain buyers who want reliability, value, and performance, even though it may be lacking in some of the latest features and creature comforts.

Speaking of creature comforts, the Tundra usually gets slammed for poor cabin quietness. I really wonder what noise they are experiencing. It's definitely quieter than my wife's Subaru, and has no squeaks or rattles even on a rough road.

Last edited by rruff; 10-02-2017 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-02-2017, 11:42 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Because Toyota hasn't wasted millions of $$$ with constant "updating". A smart decision since they aren't going to lure many people away from the Big 3 regardless. They are trying to retain buyers who want reliability, value, and performance, even though it may be lacking in some of the latest features and creature comforts.
That only works for so long, as Henry Ford found out with the Model T.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:44 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The Tundra gets slammed in reviews because it cannot keep up. Plain and simple. It's not the clear winner in performance and value because it a)underperforms against the Big 3 and b) doesn't give you as many features as the Big 3. That's been proven time and again.
They have more features *available*, if you are willing to pay for them.

I was spec'ing out a GM and wanted the 6.2l because that is the "good" motor, and I had to get a trim package that started at $48k before it was even an option.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:45 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Here in the South, Toyota trucks are everywhere. I live in a small town, and there's a Chevy and a Ford dealer within 5 miles from my home... Toyota dealer is 45 miles away, yet I still chose Toyota.
I see maybe one Tundra for every 40 or 50 American pickups. There are almost 100 homes in my subdivision. There is exactly one Tundra in neighborhood. And at least 50 American pickups.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:47 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Amazing... just amazing. A double cab and LWB does not mean that it has a 8' bed! Look it up.

Toyota will never unseat the Big3 pickup truck market especially Ford, lol Ford is kicking Toyota but in the pickup market. Every day Ford sells an average of 2,452 F-Series trucks

Read more: How hot are pickups? Ford sells an F-series every 30 seconds, 24/7

Old 10-02-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Speaking of creature comforts, the Tundra usually gets slammed for poor cabin quietness. I really wonder what noise they are experiencing. It's definitely quieter than my wife's Subaru, and has no squeaks or rattles even on a rough road.

I'm sure Toyota's business model doesn't revolve around selling a Tundra to a family once every 10 years. They would go broke. Their goal IS to lure people away from the Big 3. They just haven't found the right combination to do it yet. That is every company's goal...... gain the competition's customer base. That is business 101.....

Go take a look at the thread asking which 1/2 ton truck people would choose. Out of the 20 people that have responded thus far, 18 out of 20 people (90%) chose one of the Big 3 trucks over the Titan or the Tundra. Why do you think that is? Toyota first has to gain the customers before they can keep them.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
They have more features *available*, if you are willing to pay for them.

I was spec'ing out a GM and wanted the 6.2l because that is the "good" motor, and I had to get a trim package that started at $48k before it was even an option.

Then spec it out with the 5.3L....... it's just as capable as the 5.7L. Everything comes with a price. Toyota is cheaper because it lacks most features that are popular amongst the trucks. Use some logic here.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive