Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Yamaha build cars?
Yes, I think they would do great 16 57.14%
No, they should stick to bikes and car engines only 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 04:15 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times

Advertisements

Yamaha would have to meet the ridiculous scrutiny of the EPA CAFE NTSI CARB etc.

I could see them building sporty cars.

Alot of exotic materials and treatments used. And no frills. No non driver nonsense.
ABS traction control stability control not a standard option.

Theyd probably run like raped ape on bathsalts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 04:31 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
There are too many car manufacturers today.

Daewoo - dead
Samsung (yes Samsung made cars). Car division sold.
Suzuki cars - gone in USA.
Sergio Marchionne is trying to sell Chrysler/Fiat.

And many more.

Just too many players in market. And wait for the next recession and see what happens.
Daewoo is now GM they bought them out .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Korea

Old 09-28-2017, 06:08 PM

9,508 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I have mine. I don't see Yamaha as a great engine builder at all. The Ford Taurus SHO that was such a wreck is not my idea of a great engine builder. Take a look at their outboard engines. Some are now pushing out 400HP. Yamaha is dead last in speed and fuel economy. Yeah, they are dependable but then so are the ones running circles around them using far less fuel. That's not my idea of a "great" engine builder. And FWIW, Yamaha also entered the boat industry a few years back. It was a 100% FAIL. Best of luck to those that were screwed with a 1 or 2 year old boat when Yamaha abandoned them. Buy one of their cars......you can't be serious. You'd have to be some kind of brain damaged to buy into that program considering Yamaha's history.
The original SHO engine was a technological marvel at the time. There were no systemic issues with it. It was a spectacular engine wrapped in a thoroughly mediocre car. At the time, Car & Driver magazine dared to mention it in the same breath as the BMW M5. I'm not sure what you're problem is, but your bias is showing if you think the original SHO wasn't a ground breaking car.

More recently, the 2015 Yamaha R1 set a new benchmark for electronic rider aides and forced every other manufacturer - including BMW - to play catch up.

I personally would love to see Yamaha build cars.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:11 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
I could have seen Yamaha doing some kind of low-volume boutique three-wheeler or stripped-down four-wheeler. Think Ariel Atom, KTM X-Bow, Exocet, that kind of thing. But with the upcoming ban on sales of internal combustion engines (haha), it's not going to happen.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:29 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The original SHO engine was a technological marvel at the time. There were no systemic issues with it. It was a spectacular engine wrapped in a thoroughly mediocre car. At the time, Car & Driver magazine dared to mention it in the same breath as the BMW M5. I'm not sure what you're problem is, but your bias is showing if you think the original SHO wasn't a ground breaking car.

More recently, the 2015 Yamaha R1 set a new benchmark for electronic rider aides and forced every other manufacturer - including BMW - to play catch up.

I personally would love to see Yamaha build cars.
What he's talking about raises a good point in boats.

My sea doo jet boat smoked the Yamaha on fuel economy, cornering, and speed.
The Yamaha did 2 things better than the sea doo.
Burn more fuel. And dock like a breeze. And cost more.

Sea doo would turn on a dime, out accelerate, out corner, and out speed the Yamaha

But boats aren't cars. Totally different ball game. And that's going back... 10-12 years ago when I had a boat for Lake George and the Hudson river. (Dream boat is the navy seal Mark5, web slough, or 18-20 foot 2 seater with a supercharged big block tied to a Berkeley jet)

Their PWCS are meh. Mostly 3 seater deals but sea-doo had them licked there too.

Far as their engine building is concerned... I never scattered a Yamaha sport quad.
Blaster. Banshee. Raptor. I haven't seen as many yamaha motorcycles in the shop as harleys...
And I own a Harley...

Old 09-28-2017, 07:37 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
To put it in perspective, the V6 SHO engine was putting out about the same horsepower and torque as Ford's 4.6 liter V8 at the time. That's impressive out of 3 liters and no turbocharging.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
I say the more players the better. More competition forces everyone to up their game,which means the consumer usually wins.

From a strictly financial POV, I would think they would initially focus solely on engine manufacturing due to the high costs involved in frame plant construction.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:19 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times
One of the best exhaust notes of any engine ever, Lexus LFI with a V10 Yamaha engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAvXKXn1nSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWdXLF9unOE

"It sounds like a wild animal that is sad about something." lol

Maybe Yamaha is more concerned with making money than starting a car company. Probably a good move.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:17 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
An enthusiast car that is barebones, like a motorcycle with 4 wheels. One that has manual everything.

Cars nowadays have too much stuff. Meant for status not for the thrill and skill of driving.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:23 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Yes, why not? The Lexus / Yamaha engine in the LFA is a gem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive