Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:39 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,219,776 times

Advertisements

That's why they're popping up everywhere in gated communities and uber wealthy enclaves.

The Maybach/Bentley/Rolls is no longer impressive to the Jones's, but big pickups are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,193,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Please, will somebody bring back the little utility pickup? A modern version of the Chevy LUV, the Mazda B2000, etc. No frills. Cloth seats and hand crank windows. Maybe a small extended cab area to stash a few items. A 6-ft bed. Something that will fit in your garage. I think a modern version of a small utility pickup with say, 180hp 4 cyl mated to a 6 spd tranny, will perform a lot better than the 1980's mini-trucks. And sell them for under $20k!
They do. Only they aren't pickups, but vans. Ford Transit Connect is what you're looking for. Or the Chevy City Express/Ram Pro Master City

Old 10-10-2017, 01:52 PM

15,677 posts, read 20,164,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
That's why they're popping up everywhere in gated communities and uber wealthy enclaves.

The Maybach/Bentley/Rolls is no longer impressive to the Jones's, but big pickups are.

There's a town near me where the successful blue-collar company owners all live. Landscapers, plumbers, masons, etc. Sure as hell, their work truck is a expensive F350 super duty with all the bells and whistles.

Their wife might have a BMW.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:22 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFM View Post
New Ford Bronco, Ranger - Details on 2019 Ford Ranger and 2020 Bronco

Ford realized they shot themselves in the foot when they terminated Ranger sales in North America in 2011. Amazingly enough, their marketing plan to force Ranger owners to purchase F-150s didn't work too well - they just went to Toyota and Chevy/GM. Now they're bringing back the Ranger, but it isn't the old Ranger you're thinking of, it's the international version that has remained for sale. Damned thing is almost as big as an F-150. I'll stick with my 98 Ranger "Supercab", thank you very much.
Neighbors Ranger was totaled... he shopped for a long time to replace it finding one the same year and garage kept and paid a premium for such a clean one..

Had no interest in F150 anything.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:24 PM

628 posts, read 821,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFM View Post
New Ford Bronco, Ranger - Details on 2019 Ford Ranger and 2020 Bronco

Ford realized they shot themselves in the foot when they terminated Ranger sales in North America in 2011. Amazingly enough, their marketing plan to force Ranger owners to purchase F-150s didn't work too well - they just went to Toyota and Chevy/GM. Now they're bringing back the Ranger, but it isn't the old Ranger you're thinking of, it's the international version that has remained for sale. Damned thing is almost as big as an F-150. I'll stick with my 98 Ranger "Supercab", thank you very much.
They tried to get ranger owners in Ecoboost F-150 but it failed because they went to other companies althrough the ecoboost sells well its mostly to other large truck owners and not the small trucks ford wanted

Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,694,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
There's a town near me where the successful blue-collar company owners all live. Landscapers, plumbers, masons, etc. Sure as hell, their work truck is a expensive F350 super duty with all the bells and whistles.

Their wife might have a BMW.
I doubt they are really successful, although if you measure success by the vehicle they drive then great. However, my experience is the fancier the car the more broke the owner. People who actually made their own money tend to intend to keep it. And the last thing they does 'buy' or lease fancy trucks.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:33 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,669,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I doubt they are really successful, although if you measure success by the vehicle they drive then great. However, my experience is the fancier the car the more broke the owner. People who actually made their own money tend to intend to keep it. And the last thing they does 'buy' or lease fancy trucks.
Boy are you wrong. Here in our part of the world, look at any parking lot and you will find about 75% of the vehicles are either midsize up SUVs or 4 door Pickups and all will be 4X4 models. I was at the post office yesterday and saw over 25 vehicles in their parking lot and only one was a regular car.

The truck that was headlined in this thread, can be had in a stripped version for only $80,000.

https://apnews.com/de7ce72d2c5c44f0a...ng-more-luxury

Of all vehicles that sell for more than $50,000 over 1/3rd are Pickups.

Average selling price for cars is $34,671. Average price of a full-size pickup is $46,844.

#1 Best selling vehicle of all types in the United States is the Ford F-150.
#2 Best selling vehicle of all types in the Unite States is the Chevrolet Silverado.
#3 Best selling vehicle is the Dodge Ram.

Ford F-150 sells more than twice as many vehicles as the best selling car in the U.S.A.
Ford F-150 is only one model of pickup by Ford. They also have the F-250. F-350, and the Ford F-450.

Same for the other brands, who have more than one type of pickup.

Luxury Pickups are replacing Luxury Cars as the must have vehicle by the people with money.

Full Size Pickups and large SUVs are known as the most dangerous cars in the world, and people in cars stay clear of getting close to them. Not dangerous for the pickups, and large SUVs. But dangerous for the other cars if they run into one of them.

A lot of people with money, have switched to pickups for comfort as they keep shrinking cars in size, so a lot us find them confining and uncomfortable. If you are 6'2" or taller as I am, you can't even sit up in so many of them.

Out in our part of the country, Pickups rule. In Montana according the the DMV, there is not one Tesla as an example even registered in the state. When an electric car goes through the state, it is a tourist in the summer time. Wyoming has one owned by a movie star who keeps one at his ranch as a go to town car in the summer time.

When it gets cold here, the range for an electric is dropped by 60%, as the Batteries don't like cold. More is lost when you drive up hills and mountains. You lose range due to having to use the heater to stay warm, and of course that is electric. The distance between towns is enough, you could not run over to the bigger town for shopping and get home without a recharge.

This is why Pickups and mid size and large SUVs rule here. They have 4X4 drives, and have high ground clearance. You don't see them stuck in snow banks along side the road, like regular cars.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:20 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,694,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Boy are you wrong. Here in our part of the world, look at any parking lot and you will find about 75% of the vehicles are either midsize up SUVs or 4 door Pickups and all will be 4X4 models. I was at the post office yesterday and saw over 25 vehicles in their parking lot and only one was a regular car.

The truck that was headlined in this thread, can be had in a stripped version for only $80,000.

https://apnews.com/de7ce72d2c5c44f0a...ng-more-luxury

Of all vehicles that sell for more than $50,000 over 1/3rd are Pickups.

Average selling price for cars is $34,671. Average price of a full-size pickup is $46,844.

#1 Best selling vehicle of all types in the United States is the Ford F-150.
#2 Best selling vehicle of all types in the Unite States is the Chevrolet Silverado.
#3 Best selling vehicle is the Dodge Ram.

Ford F-150 sells more than twice as many vehicles as the best selling car in the U.S.A.
Ford F-150 is only one model of pickup by Ford. They also have the F-250. F-350, and the Ford F-450.

Same for the other brands, who have more than one type of pickup.

Luxury Pickups are replacing Luxury Cars as the must have vehicle by the people with money.

Full Size Pickups and large SUVs are known as the most dangerous cars in the world, and people in cars stay clear of getting close to them. Not dangerous for the pickups, and large SUVs. But dangerous for the other cars if they run into one of them.

A lot of people with money, have switched to pickups for comfort as they keep shrinking cars in size, so a lot us find them confining and uncomfortable. If you are 6'2" or taller as I am, you can't even sit up in so many of them.

Out in our part of the country, Pickups rule. In Montana according the the DMV, there is not one Tesla as an example even registered in the state. When an electric car goes through the state, it is a tourist in the summer time. Wyoming has one owned by a movie star who keeps one at his ranch as a go to town car in the summer time.

When it gets cold here, the range for an electric is dropped by 60%, as the Batteries don't like cold. More is lost when you drive up hills and mountains. You lose range due to having to use the heater to stay warm, and of course that is electric. The distance between towns is enough, you could not run over to the bigger town for shopping and get home without a recharge.

This is why Pickups and mid size and large SUVs rule here. They have 4X4 drives, and have high ground clearance. You don't see them stuck in snow banks along side the road, like regular cars.
Paid cash, loans, or leased? The people I know of that have real money (I mean net worth, not cash flow) pay CASH and rarely buy new and very rarely buy expensive. So all those expensive flashy trucks you see? Broke people who purchased with loans or leased. If you can't pay cash, even if you own a business, you can't afford it.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:43 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Work with several very wealthy eye docs and plastic surgeons... almost all lease and they lease expensive cars with trucks now starting to make inroads.

It was not that long ago where I would see the Doc lot full of Porsche, 12 cylinder Mercedes and BMW and now growing in number electrics of all types and Trucks... big loaded trucks.

Still not a big SUV in the group... no Tahoe, Suburbans, Expeditions, etc... or any type of mini van.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,669,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
That's the conventional wisdom, that small trucks don't sell. But there's a niche that remains unfilled. Sooner or later a company will stick their neck out, buck the trend and sell one.
Not when they can use the same assemply line to build pickups that sell for at least twice that amount. Pickups are their big sellers, and the larger pickups are what sells, they are going to build the more profitable pickups. They quit building them for one reason. They did not make a reasonable profit on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive