Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 07:30 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Except a normal startup scenario involves a full oil filter.
not on some cars ... unless the oil filter has a "check valve" incorporated in it.

I had a customer bring in a 325i BMW some years ago with a complaint about an engine noise on start-up.

It was solved by replacing the "white box" oil filter that did not have a check valve in it with a quality Mann filter. No more engine noise on start-up.

Turned out the fellow owned 8 check-change lubritoriums (not gonna' mention which one here) and every customer with similar cars got the same POS oil filter that he'd been using on his own car. Of course, he changed over to the correct oil filter for his own personal car.

I had a bunch of similar cars come through that the owners were cheaping out on the LOF services with the quick-change boys. Used to see a lot of these cars damaged by the quick-lube shops ... it was very rare to see them use an allen wrench or correct size metric wrench on the German car drain plugs, they'd use vise grips on them and tear up the plugs ... never replaced the copper crush washer, either. Common to see oil seeps from the cars serviced at these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
There's no "theory" needed. The concrete reason is because there is a lot of air in the distribution channels (mainly the oil filter and inlet plumbing). The meaningful damage corollary isn't really open for debate either. The answer is "no." .
Your confident (but ill conceived) proclamations aside, it is open to debate. Explain how an empty oil filter (post oil change) vs a full filter (normal start) has no affect on filling the distribution system. As far as meaningful damage - who knows. It stands to reason that if the damage is negligible, increasing the frequency of oil changes will increase the cumulative damage. Enough to make any difference? I don't know, but I find that watching my oil pressure gauge take a second or so to register after an oil change troublesome. Speaking of which, why is there no gauge delay on normal startup and a noticeable delay after an oil change? Perhaps it's because it takes a moment or so for pressurized oil to reach the sensor. You know - the same oil that lubricates the rest of the engine. I'm starting to think you don't know how an engine lubrication system works.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:36 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
not on some cars ... unless the oil filter has a "check valve" incorporated in it.

I had a customer bring in a 325i BMW some years ago with a complaint about an engine noise on start-up.

It was solved by replacing the "white box" oil filter that did not have a check valve in it with a quality Mann filter. No more engine noise on start-up.

Turned out the fellow owned 8 check-change lubritoriums (not gonna' mention which one here) and every customer with similar cars got the same POS oil filter that he'd been using on his own car. Of course, he changed over to the correct oil filter for his own personal car.
Fair enough. But there are posters here claiming there is never any difference between the first startup after an oil change and any other startup. Even one exception to a blanket proclamation makes said proclamation false. In this, there are obviously exceptions, one of which is using cheap filters with no drain-back valve.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:52 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I had a bunch of similar cars come through that the owners were cheaping out on the LOF services with the quick-change boys. Used to see a lot of these cars damaged by the quick-lube shops ... it was very rare to see them use an allen wrench or correct size metric wrench on the German car drain plugs, they'd use vise grips on them and tear up the plugs ... never replaced the copper crush washer, either. Common to see oil seeps from the cars serviced at these places.
not just the quick change guys either. Had a problem with a dealer once who stripped the bolt on the oil filter housing. The following oil change was a bit more challenging.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Except a normal startup scenario involves a full oil filter.
That is why you put as much oil as possible into a new filter when installing it.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:35 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Long ago and far away, when I was MUCH younger and dumber, I had a backyard mechanic install a 1953 Mercury flathead V8 in my 1953 Ford. This required changing the oil pump pickup tube so the Ford oil pan will fit on the Merc engine.
When I picked the car up, there was no oil pressure. He insisted that the pressure sending unit on the Merc engine was bad, and the engine actually had normal oil pressure. Sadly, I believed him.
The engine made it without oil pressure for a little over 5 miles before the crank bearings seized due to lack of lubrication.
You guessed it, no oil pickup strainer and tube assembly!
Anyway, if that old flathead engine, that hadn't been run for who knows how long before it was installed in my car, made it for over 5 miles at 50 MPH before it seized, how much damage do you really think is done by starting an engine that is wet with oil, and having it run for a few seconds before the oil pressure comes up?
Another example: When I worked as a mechanic in an outdoor power equipment shop, we frequently had people bring in walk-behind lawn mowers that they had bought either at a box store or the Base Exchange, saying that "It ran fine for about 5 or 10 minutes, then it quit. It is still under warranty, fix it!" The engine still had the yellow "Fill with oil before starting" tag on the oil fill tube. Yep, no oil in it. But, "It ran fine for about 5 or 10 minutes!" Sorry, no warranty. It is surprising how long an engine will run with no oil pressure!
IMO, the few seconds of no oil pressure after an oil change simply isn't worth worrying about!

Old 10-02-2017, 07:06 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Kevin Harvick questions changing your oil more often than once a year, using Mobil One. Says it's a waste of oil, time, and money.
Yeah and he knows why? Because that is what he is reading in off the script for the commercial!

Old 10-02-2017, 08:13 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Simply put if you have older vehicles, can an oil change once a month hurt? Or it really doesn't matter?
Why do you want to do that? How many miles are you putting on in a month? The age of the vehicle has little to do with it, it's more about the condition of the engine. Is it leaking oil? Are the rings and bearings kaput? Is the oil pressure low? If you can answer yes to any of those questions, you can change the oil all you want, but, the engine is worn out or needs attention.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:51 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,461 times
Does not hurt a thing. However, I change the oil on my 79 Thunderbird once a year, like I have since I bought it in 02, with no ill effects so far. I drive about 1200 to 2500 miles a year.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:15 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,255,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Simply put if you have older vehicles, can an oil change once a month hurt? Or it really doesn't matter?
Seriously? Can I have your used oil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive