Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 09:28 PM

513 posts, read 580,593 times

Advertisements

While trucks and SUVs have certainly ballooned in size over the years, so have the family sedans. Nowadays the average sedan is ~ 192 inches long and 73 inches wide... that's both longer and wider than a 1990s Ford Explorer, the model that started the mainstream proliferation of SUVs. Back in those days driving an SUV meant driving a bigger, heavier vehicle, sacrificing fuel economy, comfort, and driveability, as they were all built on truck platforms. But with crossovers like the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, etc. none of those sacrifices have to be made. The crossovers are all roughly 181 inches long and 73 inches wide yet have much more useful space despite being shorter lenghwise, since like hatchbacks they lack a trunk. Most consumers aren't going to invest in snow tires, so it's better to have AWD and higher ground clearance of a CUV than a sedan with FWD and lower ground clearance. It's also advantageous because it's easier to see from a higher ride height, and let's face it with more people than ever before driving 4500+ lb. vehicles as daily drivers nowadays, and more people than ever before driving distracted, when you inevitably get t-boned by an idiot in such a vehicle who blew a stop sign or traffic signal because they were text messaging text messaging, you'll be much better protected in a CUV than you would in a sedan or even worse a compact car. While the statistics show that CUV/SUV sales have surpassed sedan sales as of late, why do so many people still choose the sedan over the more functional CUV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 09:45 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
I prefer the compact class sedans. Many offer an interior volume near or at midsize sedan class. Today’s Civic is as big or bigger than 80s and 90s Accord. Put a modern Sentra next to a 90s Altima. I have a 2015 Hyundai Elantra. I prefer smaller cars. I like the storage privacy of a trunk. I like the interior and trunk size. Driving around town I average around 32 mpg. It doesn’t snow where I live and I don’t go off road so ground clearance isn’t an issue. Highway miles I get around 40 mpg depending on the route and traffic, sometimes more than 40. It’s just my wife and I, no kids to bring all over.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:47 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
I bought a loaded sedan when I retired in 2014. If I had to do it all over again, I would get a CUV.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:53 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Because a lot of people prefer smaller cars, to the bulky CUV's. And ground clearance isn't an issue for most people. Smaller sedans are also easier to park, and get better mileage. What do I need a big, hulking thing for? I'm looking into getting super-compact, like a Honda CR-Z hybrid .(I know they've been discontinued, but they're still around.) With the back seat down, I have plenty of room for luggage for a road trip, and it's a nice compact car.

Could you explain how you consider a CUV to be more "functional"? I'm not seeing it.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:56 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
While trucks and SUVs have certainly ballooned in size over the years, so have the family sedans. Nowadays the average sedan is ~ 192 inches long and 73 inches wide... that's both longer and wider than a 1990s Ford Explorer, the model that started the mainstream proliferation of SUVs. Back in those days driving an SUV meant driving a bigger, heavier vehicle, sacrificing fuel economy, comfort, and driveability, as they were all built on truck platforms. But with crossovers like the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, etc. none of those sacrifices have to be made. The crossovers are all roughly 181 inches long and 73 inches wide yet have much more useful space despite being shorter lenghwise, since like hatchbacks they lack a trunk. Most consumers aren't going to invest in snow tires, so it's better to have AWD and higher ground clearance of a CUV than a sedan with FWD and lower ground clearance. It's also advantageous because it's easier to see from a higher ride height, and let's face it with more people than ever before driving 4500+ lb. vehicles as daily drivers nowadays, and more people than ever before driving distracted, when you inevitably get t-boned by an idiot in such a vehicle who blew a stop sign or traffic signal because they were text messaging text messaging, you'll be much better protected in a CUV than you would in a sedan or even worse a compact car. While the statistics show that CUV/SUV sales have surpassed sedan sales as of late, why do so many people still choose the sedan over the more functional CUV?
Because they want to and you have a false sense of safety because you can be just as injured or dead in any vehicle when/if you get into an accident unless you have a tank.
We would not have a CUV because we don't want one, don't like them and prefer to make our own decisions regarding the vehicles that are functional and practical for us.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:05 PM

905 posts, read 790,365 times
Sedans have a lower center of gravity and will handle better than a CUV, all else being equal. Many people prefer the style of sedans over CUVs. Sedans tend to be a bit lighter and get better mileage. Many CUVs sacrifice backseat knee or leg room compared to sedans for similar money.

I switched to a CUV from a sedan and kind of regret it, probably will go back in a few years when it's time for something else, or seek out a wagon if there are any decent ones on the market at that time. CUVs do win on versatility and the extra ground clearance can be nice under certain circumstances.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:12 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I'd prefer to drive an SUV/SUV, but they DO NOT get the same mileage as a sedan. Mileage is important to me, because I roll up the miles pretty fast. I drive a standard Prius, not the Prius V, because the shape of the V model reduces mileage about 10% and adds very little storage space and very little extra ground clearance. If the CUV/SUV is AWD, mileage suffers even more.

Sedans, with a separate trunk area, are also quieter and normally handle a little better due to the lower center of gravity.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:44 PM

513 posts, read 580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because a lot of people prefer smaller cars, to the bulky CUV's. And ground clearance isn't an issue for most people. Smaller sedans are also easier to park, and get better mileage. What do I need a big, hulking thing for? I'm looking into getting super-compact, like a Honda CR-Z hybrid .(I know they've been discontinued, but they're still around.) With the back seat down, I have plenty of room for luggage for a road trip, and it's a nice compact car.

Could you explain how you consider a CUV to be more "functional"? I'm not seeing it.
A Honda Accord is roughly 193" L x 73" W; a CR-V is roughly 181" L x 73" W so objectively speaking, the Accord is bulkier than the CR-V. The CR-V only seems bulkier because it's taller, and because it's taller, it has a lot more useful cargo space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Because they want to and you have a false sense of safety because you can be just as injured or dead in any vehicle when/if you get into an accident unless you have a tank.
We would not have a CUV because we don't want one, don't like them and prefer to make our own decisions regarding the vehicles that are functional and practical for us.
I don't have a false sense of safety at all, quite the contrary, it's why I'm such a cautious driver. I don't have faith in other people's driving ability or attentiveness, especially those driving larger vehicles. It's simple physics that when a larger vehicle collides with a smaller vehicle, the occupants of a smaller vehicle will sustain more injury than those in the larger vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
Sedans have a lower center of gravity and will handle better than a CUV, all else being equal. Many people prefer the style of sedans over CUVs. Sedans tend to be a bit lighter and get better mileage. Many CUVs sacrifice backseat knee or leg room compared to sedans for similar money.

I switched to a CUV from a sedan and kind of regret it, probably will go back in a few years when it's time for something else, or seek out a wagon if there are any decent ones on the market at that time. CUVs do win on versatility and the extra ground clearance can be nice under certain circumstances.
I switched from a sedan to a CUV, and for what it's worth the CUV outhandles the sedan it replaced. Personally after switching to a CUV, I don't think I could go back to a sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'd prefer to drive an SUV/SUV, but they DO NOT get the same mileage as a sedan. Mileage is important to me, because I roll up the miles pretty fast. I drive a standard Prius, not the Prius V, because the shape of the V model reduces mileage about 10% and adds very little storage space and very little extra ground clearance. If the CUV/SUV is AWD, mileage suffers even more.

Sedans, with a separate trunk area, are also quieter and normally handle a little better due to the lower center of gravity.
I drive a Honda CR-V with the 1.5T. Its EPA rated 27/33/29. I average about 27-28 mpg per tank as virtually all of my driving is stop and go. On the rare occasion that I do get to cruise, I can see up to 36 mpg. Objectively speaking that's just as good or better real world mileage than virtually any mid-size sedan.

Last edited by BirchBarlow; 10-01-2017 at 10:54 PM..

Old 10-01-2017, 10:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
I can fit a 10 foot 2*4 in Buick Lacrosse... Really

Old 10-01-2017, 10:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
I drive a Honda CR-V with the 1.5T. Its EPA rated 27/33/29.
The Buick sucks around town abut I get about 29MPG cruising along at 85 in hilly terrain..... and I can fit a 10 foot 2*4 in it along with the ten dead bodies in the trunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive