Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:42 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
2025 I believe non autonomous car will be banned.
Do you even know how to drive a car? You seem REALLY out of touch with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 02:27 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Do you even know how to drive a car? You seem REALLY out of touch with reality.
He says that nonsense for pure shock value. He doesn't actually believe it.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
2025 is sooooo not happening. Numerous countries are planning to remove fossil fuel run vehicles in 2040. And that's fuel. Now that I say that, Holland wants to be the first to fully ban fossil fuel vehicles. So when Holland goes with autonomous, I'd add 7-10 years to the rest of the first world.
Unlike fuels, autonomous would be more like smartphones. No government mandate was ever required for the smart phone to become ubiquitous. They just got that way because they were so damn useful. Now even 3rd world refugees have them.

The first company who makes an affordable and reliably accurate autonomous car has a license to print money.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I trust machines, i don't trust people. Airplanes are almost fully autonomous today except for landing and take offs. Flight MH270 dissappeared in the Indian Ocean not because it didn't follow the program, somebody on the flight disabled autopilot.

We are still 2 decades away because of technology, societal issues, and infrastructure still way behind.
The technology is already here and you really don't need infrastructure upgrades.
Watch this Bolt navigate downtown San Francisco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88k7P3EmRis

Note the construction, pedestrians, and one point even gets around a stalled moving truck.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Some how i cant foresee you being happy in your SVT Lightning and being totally controlled by a computers idea of how you should drive,kinda eliminates the need for a muscle vehicle as all cars will go the same speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1tfOeChenQ
Autonomous doesn't mean you can't manually drive it.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:40 PM

13,624 posts, read 10,025,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

Hacking into the car motherboard and controlling a vehicle remotely is the key safety setup.

The service and collision industry will dwindle down to user errors and weather related losses.

I like to get a gauge when people think most automakers will reach full autonomous and/or the government will allow that.
I car that can be hacked! That sounds at least a little dangerous. (I wouldn't want to be a designer or inventor, travelling in one of those).

There are far more road users out there, than just cars. There are also loads of things that can happen to a car that the autonomous part won't have any control over. Do you know if there are going to be autonomous motorcycles, cycles, etc? Then you have pedestrians, wildlife, and the odd invalid scooter, just darting out in front of you. Stopping distance, is stopping distance, and I'm not sure it becomes any shorter without a driver.

When the auto makers make full autonomous vehicles, and when they get it right, may be two totally unrelated eras.

Still, good luck with the project.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:45 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
Wow, I'm glad someone finally started a thread about this subject. It's never, ever been discussed here before.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I think it will eventually happen but I think we are closer to 25 years away than we are 8 years away.

I think it will be a good thing for safety, not so much for car guys lol
This is the latest on expected timelines. Its more like 2 years away at the earliest...https://www.techemergence.com/self-d...11-automakers/

Old 10-06-2017, 09:01 PM

7,645 posts, read 4,594,923 times
This is totally happening and soon. Safety will increase and so will control. Imagine Clearcab co taking people wherever they want at a subsidized price. To access, simply hail with your phone and press your finger to prove it's you to get in. Oh, is there a warrant out for your arrest....we'll be having an unplanned stop. Once the cars can fly it could literally be your only way in/out. In the meantime, if you're doing the cheap plan, expect commercials and sharing your seats on your way. All vehicle maintenance and inspection could be done at large to scale shops.

Oh yeah, this is coming. The young kids don't even want to learn how to drive in anticipation of its coming.

I don't think they can ban private owned fossil fuel cars, but as the % of cars go to electric, the economies of scale will reverse for gas stations. Keep you're car but I'm not too sure where you'll be able to fill up at. That's already happening as all of the cars become more efficient. The stations that make it need car washes or big convenience areas.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:57 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wouldnt the autonomous car be driving you?
I would miss the hands on driving experience when cars go full autonomous but with people wanting every electronic convenience built into todays cars its only a matter of time before computers take over the actual driving of the car ,just hop in enter/dictate your desired coordinates and the car does the rest, in fact i wonder at that point the need for a personal vehicle just call up a pod car and get taken to your destination like an over ground elevator.
LOL, I meant to say owning an autonomous car. I agree it's only a matter of time, but not in most of our lifetimes. Full autonomous cars have only been tested in a very few places, and the test results are not that great. Once they have been tested successfully in all 50 states, then maybe we can start to make a prediction for when they might take over. I don't even think that will happen by 2015. So far the number is five states. 15 more have said 'Hell no' to them and 13 states haven't even gotten around to discussing it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive