Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 02:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
For some reason, customers think that there’s THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars in markup on new cars. Used, maybe. New....not really. There’s about $1500 profit on our new units.
Depends on the car. Way back in 2000, when money was worth more, we were looking at a converted van the dealer was selling for $45,000 or $48,000. It was near the end of the year and they needed to clear out the conversion vans. They sold it to us for $32,000 and included some free upgrades we wanted. I do not believe they sold it at a loss.

Also specialty cars in high demand like the Corvette Z06 are often marked up $10,000 by the dealer. I forget what they call it, but it is a high demand mark up. However I fried of mine gets all the information ont he dealers cost form some service he pays for, then offers dealers a profit of usually $1500 - $2000 for the exact car he wants. First to call gets the sale, he always gets a deal. His Z06 was $1800 above cost, but he did have to wait until the initial furor over them died down a bit.

When I was looking for a RAM truck - the price was shocking $55,000 and I finally gave up and left. A month or two later the dealer called me and told me they were having a sale and I could get one for $48,000. there was no overall RAM sale, just this dealership. I do not believe the would have a sale for $7,000 off if their profit in it was only $1500.

However I am aware that $1500 is a typical reasonable mark up on ordinary or cheap cars - at least according to my friend's service (which is why he offers them the same profit on his fancy cars).

What I really hate was when a dealer tries to scam people by adding a dealer "specialized high security system" (a $5 ignition cut out keyed switch) in all of their cars and then trying to charge $1000 for it. I told them to remove it, I did not want it in my car even if it was free. All they did was break it off and tuck it up underneath the dash (I found it years later when it quit working and the car woudl not start). They had some other absurdly priced dealer added item I think it was wheel locks that I told them to remove. I almost walked away because I did not want the dealer modifying my new car, but it was the only one in the state configured the way I wanted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 08:02 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
My very rich ex and I went to the Ferrari dealership in Miami dressed in casual clothing. The only thing you could tell that he had money was by his watch. No one helped us at all. He wanted a convertible Ferrari and was going to pay cash. We walked out.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:52 AM

1,844 posts, read 830,741 times
Mazda Dealership: Me and my father showed up in an old KIA that wasn't in good shape. Before we could even get out of the car a sales guy came walking over which was nice. We where both wearing on basketball shorts, T-shirts, and old running shoes. I described what I wanted (A brand new Mazda 3 with most of the upgrades), but he keep suggesting that I look at the used base trim's that where on the lot. After talking for awhile and looking at some older vehicle's he almost seemed upset that I wanted to try out some of the top end trims. It wasn't until he asked me how I'd planning on financing the car (I told him all cash) that he would start showing me not only the top end trim's, but also some more expensive models.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:51 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
I'm certainly not going to dress for a car shopping experience even if it would make things easier for me. If some inexperienced new guy/gal who gets all the unlikely buyers gets "stuck" with me, that's fine...if I'm on the lot it's because I'm serious about buying within the next couple months. I'm fine supporting someone struggling instead of a veteran salesperson.

I've worked with the public for 30+ years and I've learned you can't necessarily judge how much disposable income one has by how they dressl. Young people dressed to the nines are frequently living above their means (basically broke), and many older people are just over caring what impression they make on total strangers they are not likely to see again.

Buying a car isn't a job interview...I'm not there to impress anyone. If I get blown off (which has happened), I go elsewhere...it's THAT simple. It seems where I live at least the higher performing dealerships understand that. I also believe it's a BIG REASON WHY they are high performing.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:02 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Like it or not, people instantly judge you by what you wear.

I'll never forget buying my first suit after graduating from college. Suddenly it was "sir" and "thank you" and "may I help you" instead of being totally ignored as I was previously while wearing a T shirt and jeans.

Unfair? Yup.

But that's how the world works.
Yes but we are talking about car salespeople here not someone with a high IQ.LOL Kidding of course.. I think

Old 10-22-2017, 04:20 PM

15 posts, read 11,954 times

I'll never forget buying my first suit after graduating from college. Suddenly it was "sir" and "thank you" and "may I help you" instead of being totally ignored as I was previously while wearing a T shirt and jeans.

Unfair? Yup.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:02 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemma View Post

Unfair? Yup.

Must be east coast. Out here on the west coast the only people who wear suits are fashionistas and car salesmen. We respect people for brains not fabric.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:39 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Must be east coast. Out here on the west coast the only people who wear suits are fashionistas and car salesmen. We respect people for brains not fabric.
I’ve lived on the west coast. It’s true that the east coast is definitely more formal than the west coast. At least it is in the NYC area. It’s nice sometimes, especially when going out to dinner in a nice restaurant.

But I typically dress very casually, and I don’t need anyone saying “yes sir and no sir”. I get plenty of that at my job, so I like things to be pretty relaxed when I’m not working.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
I have the opposite experience. I was treated fine when they thought I was poor, then treated badly when they knew I was rich.

I recently wanted to buy a used g37 coupe. Went to a local Nissan dealership. They listed a low mileage g37 coupe at a decent price. Test drove it, liked it and then I told them would buy it at list price all cash, and did not even try to bargain down the price. Well apparently this dealership likes suckering poor people into bad financing deals, because not only would they not accept my all cash list price offer, they jacked the cash price up by like $4000 dollars, and would not even negotiate.

I left, and the next week went to an Infiniti dealer and got a sweet deal on a CPO g37 IPL convertible. Not only were they glad to sell me a car for cash, the lowered the list price by 1 grand without me even asking.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:09 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Interesting.... I had someone tell me once they bought a 68K truck brand new off the lot for 42K. Pretty much thought he was lying...and now you’ve confirmed it.

We own our business, and while I totally understand wanting value for your money, I do not understand the consumer attitude of you should make your money off some other sucker, give it to me for free, or nearly so.
That may be a stretch, but my 2016 Silverado LTZ had a factory sticker price of $52,430 and I drove it off the lot for $36,622 plus $280 for plates and two year registration in June 2016. That's for a brand new truck with 12 miles on the odo and no trade in to obfuscate the real price. There are deals out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive