Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I think I've only traded in two cars in my entire life, one was my car, the other was my wife's once, so a dealership never gets my keys.
Even if you are not trading in, they insist on holding your keys when you go take a test drive. They say it is security,but it is really just a pressure scam.

I only once traded in a car, it was a POS that was probably worth about $2, but the dealer wanted a way to entice me away from other dealers and I was buying on a GM employee plan where they were not allowed to negotiate price. Instead, they offered me considerably more than the car was worth. They really needed one more sale of the particular type of car I was buying before the end of the quarter - some kind of bonus incentive program for dealers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 09:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Maybe I need to dress better on weekends. While the dealers where extremely aggressive in California, in Michigan it is hard to get them to even give you the time of day. I went ot a Dodge dealership years ago planning on buying a $50,000 piick up. they ignored me for a while, and then when someone finally talked to me, they told me they were going to close in less than half an hour and asked me to come back another day.

It actually saved me from a big mistake, because just after that we had some financial setbacks and there was no way I could have afforded a $50,000 truck anymore.

Still the difference in striking. IN California dealerships were open nights and weekends. Sometimes until midnight. they would go to extremes. IF you looked at a car seriously and then told them you wanted to think about it for a few days, they might show up at your house with the car and the paperwork a day or two later and say "sign and it is yours. It sure looks nice sitting out there in your driveway. ."

In Michigan, the dealers are pretty much open 9-5 weekdays only. They have little interest in walk ins, they want you to make an appointment and take time off work to look at a car. I guess it is a good way to avoid wasting time on tire kickers (like me), but it seems to be a good way to avoid selling cars too. Since they all do it, maybe it does not impact their sales. The people who are going to buy a car are still going to buy a car.

Make an appointment, and they are usually very nice and helpful and usually not at all pushy. Although when we were looking at a Chevy traverse, I told the guy I had heard it was ridiculously difficult to put the back seat down. He said not it is easy. I asked him to show me and he could not figure out how to do it. He went to get someone more familiar with the traverse and they could not figure it out. They went and got a manager, then they got out the manual. Finally the said come back tomorrow and we will have someone show you how easy it is. We know it is easy, we just do not have anyone who knows this car well here right now. After all that, we did come back and found the Traverse too cramped and my wife did not like driving it. At least they maybe all learned how to put the seat down for the next customer.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:26 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Like it or not, people instantly judge you by what you wear.

I'll never forget buying my first suit after graduating from college. Suddenly it was "sir" and "thank you" and "may I help you" instead of being totally ignored as I was previously while wearing a T shirt and jeans.

Unfair? Yup.

But that's how the world works.
Been to Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, Cadillac, BMW...in my typical t shirt outfit.

Treated nicely and respectfully and with good attentiveness EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Chevrolet...hell, no one even came out to talk to me at the Chevy dealership.

I think the luxury dealers have a culture where they are more customer service oriented.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
It is interesting how sales people will take the keys and hold them hostage.

I get around it now by not taking the car I'm trading in with us. For instance my wife's accord is what we are trading in now and we'll just leave it home and take my car. The dealers are a 10 min ride from our house, so if a good deal does come up, I can go get the car.

But twice the dealer did the eval without seeing the car. The numbers were what I expected and it allowed us to see what the final numbers would be like. Unfortunately I didn't like them, so we left...but it was so much easier without the dealer holding my keys.

Getting up and making a scene in a crowded dealership usually gets them back pretty quick.

2 weeks ago we were at the local Honda dealer trying to test drive a Oddessey. Salesman was out tryin to find a car to test drive. Literally 5 feet away was a couple getting cold feet on a purchase and trying to back out and get their keys back. Saleman put on the pressure, and even got the salesmanager to come over as well and really put the pressure on for them to buy. My wife and I are feet away watching this and I was actually disgusted by it. When our salesman came in, i told him we were all set after watching their tactics and left.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
That behavior isn't specifically related to your age...I think it's gender-related as well. I'm an older woman who currently owns 3 sports cars and has considerable track experience incl a racing license, and I can't find a dealership that will let me test drive a 370Z Nismo even when I waive my checkbook around. I usually get treated like an idiot when I walk into any dealership just because I'm a woman, and how expensively I'm dressed (or not) makes no difference at all.

I had a meltdown in a dealership one day over the key hostage routine.
Try being a brown female who looks 10 years younger than actual age.

Every day can be an eye-rolling challenge.

"What does your husband do?"
"Did your daddy buy you the car?"

Not father. Daddy.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:46 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
Never had such an experience. I'm in my 30s with a high net worth and refuse to spend over $40K for a car, so yeah…not a problem I would ever experience. The last 3 cars I purchased were used and I'm a pretty friendly negotiator so I've never had a hostile transaction. I find that you get a lot more when you persuade someone into wanting to give you what you want.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:48 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
maybe its not wealth, its your attitude that gets the attention. A good attitude comes a long way both customer or sales person

Old 10-11-2017, 09:53 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Even if you are not trading in, they insist on holding your keys when you go take a test drive. They say it is security,but it is really just a pressure scam.

How do they get your keys in the first place? Just don't give them to them.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:18 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's why I always wear my superhero costume when I'm out car shopping.
So you wear your Catwoman suit too?

Old 10-11-2017, 10:22 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I think I've only traded in two cars in my entire life, one was my car, the other was my wife's once, so a dealership never gets my keys.
I sell them myself. I put a fair price. I usually sell the car within a week. Most I sell in about two days. My fastest sale was not even advertised. I sold it at a funeral . A friend heard I was thinking of selling it and bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive