Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 08:21 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,175,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
The structural design of the vehicle in question is an unknown. Therefore it must be assumed that this vehicle was not , and is not, designed to accommodate large holes in the roof.
Give it up dude. You haven't been right about a single thing you've said here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 08:29 AM

15,701 posts, read 20,218,705 times
If you've ever pulled a headliner down, you'd see the most of the roof is just thin sheet metal with maybe one support rib that wouldn't do much other than prevent the roof from caving in if some jerk decided to run up and over your car trying to be funny. Even then, I've seen people standing on a roof and collapse it in slightly. There's not much strength there at all.

Most, if not all of the structural support comes from the A and B pillar areas.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:06 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,410,999 times
What happened when you went down yesterday OP? The suspense is killing me!

Old 10-13-2017, 09:32 AM

4,180 posts, read 3,710,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Safety argument makes me laugh, sales driven by safety but I have owned dozens of cars I was never in a wreck with. How many people are driving boring Volvos because of their ads in the 80's and passed on having a fun car like a Corvette or Miata because the Volvo is "safer"
The way I look at it; all cars are mandated to have a minimum safety requirement which improves year after year so the safest car from a few years ago probably wouldn't even meet the minimum safety standards of today. I cant see chasing a new car based on safety features. If I did, Id be driving the latest and greatest year after year.

I do agree though that certain vehicles from the factory are designed to have a sunroof installed where others are not. Installing an aftermarket one may alter the structural integrity of the car slightly but in reality it doesn't bother me because it has never been a major issue, if it was, they wouldn't install them.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,646,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
The structural design of the vehicle in question is an unknown. Therefore it must be assumed that this vehicle was not , and is not, designed to accommodate large holes in the roof.
a few facts for you;

1: if the vehicle in question has a option for a moon roof, then whether the vehicle has tht option installed or not, the necessary bracing is installed at the factory, because the automakers are goingt o do what ever they can to save time an money building these cars. so that means every hardtop version gets the bracing whether it gets the option or not.

2: the aftermarket installation companies ADD bracing these days when installing aftermarket products such as moon roofs so as to prevent problems from customers complaining about poor quality work. granted there are some slap dash companies out there, but these days they are no where near as prevalent as they were in the 70s.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:17 PM

445 posts, read 408,007 times
A car with 1000 miles is not a brand new car, it's a dealer demo. I wouldn't touch it. People try out all kinds of staff on demo cars - things I wouldn't do with my car in the break-in period. Heck, have you seen how the dealership valet drive these cars?

Last brand new car I bought had 4 miles on it.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,646,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
A car with 1000 miles is not a brand new car, it's a dealer demo. I wouldn't touch it. People try out all kinds of staff on demo cars - things I wouldn't do with my car in the break-in period. Heck, have you seen how the dealership valet drive these cars?

Last brand new car I bought had 4 miles on it.
that is only your opinion, legally until the car is titled, it can be sold as a new car, even if that car is 20 years old, and has 50,000 miles on it.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:17 PM

445 posts, read 408,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that is only your opinion, legally until the car is titled, it can be sold as a new car, even if that car is 20 years old, and has 50,000 miles on it.
Legal or not, will you seriously accept a car with 1000 miles as a brand new car at a brand new price? It's not Rolls Royce - OP is talking about a Mazda.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,140,250 times
Aftermarket power moonroofs, when properly installed, are usually of very good quality. Webasto and Hollandia roofs are quite good and are generally considered "OE" when installed by a certified shop. They were even good in the early 90s when I worked in the industry. Our shop had very good installers. Comebacks were minimal.

If you really hate the roof, don't take delivery. If you can live with it and don't want to wait for another vehicle, demand a discount. The bottom line is that it isn't what you ordered and the extra option is unwanted. You should be credited for that. If they balk, walk away. Assuming you gave them a down payment, you might have to sue to get it back. These days, a dealer can do a trade with another dealership very easily. There's really no reason that they can't get you what you want unless the vehicle itself is very rare.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:33 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,880,173 times
Skip the sun roofs and open another thread.

This one is about a "new" car with 1,000 miles on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive