Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:08 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,078,191 times

Advertisements

The bigger the lie the more they will believe it. If most people just did some homework on Hyperloop and his latest project BFR they'd be laughing. The quality is just not there for Tesla products. I find it telling that Elon sold the first 200 or so Model 3s to employees instead of the general public. What better beta tester than an employee. These cars off warranty will truly be throw away products since independent service people are locked out. It will make absolutely no economic sense to own a Tesla if you live hundreds or even thousands of miles away from a service center. Ssh it makes no sense even if it's under warranty.

Elon is a carnival barker, snake oil PT Barnum all rolled into one, but people love licking his boots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 06:44 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
The bigger the lie the more they will believe it. If most people just did some homework on Hyperloop and his latest project BFR they'd be laughing. The quality is just not there for Tesla products. I find it telling that Elon sold the first 200 or so Model 3s to employees instead of the general public. What better beta tester than an employee. These cars off warranty will truly be throw away products since independent service people are locked out. It will make absolutely no economic sense to own a Tesla if you live hundreds or even thousands of miles away from a service center. Ssh it makes no sense even if it's under warranty.

Elon is a carnival barker, snake oil PT Barnum all rolled into one, but people love licking his boots

Old 10-27-2017, 10:11 AM

1,690 posts, read 4,090,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
WOW! No misspellings or grammatical errors on this post!

Old 10-27-2017, 12:42 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,721,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
WOW! No misspellings or grammatical errors on this post!
There is a first for everything! lol

Old 10-27-2017, 01:18 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,155 times
Quote:

So, how many other successful American automotive manufacturers have started up and actually produced cars in the last 50 years? How many private space launch rocket manufacturers have there been in the last 50 years? Snake oil? Funny, my buddy's Model S doesn't drive like snake oil... And it's forced a shift in the entire automotive industry. Last one to try was Tucker and we all know how that turned out for him.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:57 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,078,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
So, how many other successful American automotive manufacturers have started up and actually produced cars in the last 50 years? How many private space launch rocket manufacturers have there been in the last 50 years? Snake oil? Funny, my buddy's Model S doesn't drive like snake oil... And it's forced a shift in the entire automotive industry. Last one to try was Tucker and we all know how that turned out for him.
It depends on how you define "successful"?

Tesla is still not making any money. It will be interesting to see how creative they get with accounting 11/1

Tesla has a burn rate that would make dot-bomb era companies blush

SpaceX financials are laughable

Hyperloop is a snake oil joke that has been busted so many times with real science.

BFR is nothing more than nonsense.

The only thing the Elon delivers on with any reliability is hype and miss deadlines. I would not be amazed if Tesla is the next Lehman Brothers for the market.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:57 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,841,384 times
Quote:
It depends on how you define "successful"?

Tesla is still not making any money. It will be interesting to see how creative they get with accounting 11/1

Tesla has a burn rate that would make dot-bomb era companies blush

SpaceX financials are laughable

Hyperloop is a snake oil joke that has been busted so many times with real science.

BFR is nothing more than nonsense.

The only thing the Elon delivers on with any reliability is hype and miss deadlines. I would not be amazed if Tesla is the next Lehman Brothers for the market.
Yep. Car company hasn’t made money in over 10 years, now he’s moved on and distracted himself with semi trucks, hyperloops, tunnels, Mars colonies and other nonsense there’s even less of a chance to make money in.
Space X’s launch record is dismal by modern standards. No people in space yet? It’s just a capsule. It only took 9 years to land on the moon.
Solar City was crashing and he bought it out under Tesla to keep himself from loosing everything he invested in it. Solar shingles? What happened to those? I’ve yet to see some house with a bunch of Tesla batteries powering it off the grid, yet Tesla swears there’s a huge market out there somewhere. Solar City is however laying off like crazy.

Then if course there’s “enhanced Autopilot” that was supposed to drive across the country by itself by now and it panned out to be nothing but a lawsuit...
https://www.consumerreports.org/auto...opilot-system/

Elon is a moron.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:07 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,841,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Tesla didn’t force a shift. GM was already working on the Volt as early as 2007.
The engineering challenge was never about making an electric car with a lot of range. It was making an affordable electric car with a lot of range.
Any moron can put a huge battery in a car and charge a lot for it. Established car companies didn’t do that because it’s unprofitable. And guess what? Tesla’s doing it and it turns out it’s unprofitable.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
... I find it telling that Elon sold the first 200 or so Model 3s to employees instead of the general public. What better beta tester than an employee. These cars off warranty will truly be throw away products since independent service people are locked out. It will make absolutely no economic sense to own a Tesla if you live hundreds or even thousands of miles away from a service center. Ssh it makes no sense even if it's under warranty.
How would you do it? (Warranty / service testing?)

Actually.... for 'start-up car manufacturer' without tens of thousands of test / reliability engineers and 100 yrs of experience They are being strategic and not doing too bad.

I have over 10 friends with Teslas (3 International) and they are not experiencing service issues as great as my many friends with Detroit Iron.

Of course, since I don't do 'plastic' or electronics' I won't ever have one, but as an engineer who helped build full electric cars 40 yrs ago...in 1976 - We had 'plug-in' parking at all our USA factories.

I have found Teslas to be great to 'performance drive', ride in, diagnose, and dissect.

I particularly appreciated a German demonstration from an older couple we were staying with, as he had programmed a 'Fetch Tesla' mode into his phone, where his Tesla would maneuver out of his very tiny garage and drive-way and meet us at the street. It would have been impossible to drive in and get out, so it was even USEFUL! He was very keen on the "follow-Me" mode (at Autobahn speeds, and long before the reported crashes)

I hope Elon can pull it off, and it takes a 'special breed' to do that, I'm happy that someone is trying, rather than waiting for Detroit to initiate and innovate. There is a lot of good that has come out of there, as well as a lot of potential. (America is VERY patient (and forgetful and forgiving (good thing...))... and Still waiting and hoping)

Old 10-29-2017, 06:29 PM

6,457 posts, read 8,116,336 times
This Guy Documents Nearly A Year Of Quality Problems With His Tesla Model S

https://jalopnik.com/this-guy-docume...-wi-1819955046
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive