Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Car A 9 18.75%
Car B 30 62.50%
Both 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:30 PM

638 posts, read 529,536 times

Advertisements

Did I miss it or is nobody going to ask whether there were directions (arrows) on the road? If it is a two lane space and obviously so, and car B passes (no oncoming traffic) then they have the right of way in that lane, like it or not. Car A is at fault for not checking before a turn.

That said I think it is a jerk move to just pull around in a parking lot just because you have to wait. I mean really. If it is that important call an ambulance. However pretty sure Car A is technically at fault even if Car B was an impatient jerk.

In a ONE lane parking lot with one way markers, car B is going outside the lane and Car A has the right of way. Car B is making a jerk move and also is at fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 02:34 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Obviously Car A because 1. They didn't signal, 2. They weren't paying attention and didn't look before making the turn. Car B has a right to go around a stopped car in a parking lot.
I kinda see it that way too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I would say car A, except it sounds car B didn't even slow down to try to determine what car A wanted to do. Car B would not know if someone was crossing in front of car A. Car B might not have noticed car C backing out, which car A might have been waiting for. I can think of several reasons why car B might be at fault.
If someone, (a pedestrian), was crossing in front of car A, it's reasonable to think that the driver of car B would see that through the rear window and windshield of car A, if car A was waiting for car C to back out, (how did car C get into this picture?), then perhaps the driver of car A should have activated his hazard lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Car B is not a mind reader. If A were waiting for C's space to become clear, A should signal their intention to occupy said space whether on left or right, once it becomes available. I always do that when I see a space about to become available, but then, I'm just a snob who realizes that I am not the only driver in that lot, or on the road for that matter.
Don't try and bring common sense into this, people are having fun apportioning blame over here.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:48 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
You cannot pass on the right. You pass on the left. So B is at fault for passing on the right.
While I appreciate that in the U.S. you drive on the right, so normally overtake on the
left, I wouldn't have thought that would apply while driving slowly in a parking lot, but
what do we Brits know, you kicked us out years ago because you didn't like our laws.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:46 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
OP be ESPECIALLY careful in parking lots on Sundays, and during the afternoon when the geriatrics are out in full force...sheesh I took a day off a few weeks ago and went to Costco in the afternoon and wow I've seen better driving after closing time at a bar lol. Some people haven't managed to take grandmas keys yet.
Face it, girls. I'm older and I have more insurance.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:36 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
You cannot pass on the right. You pass on the left. So B is at fault for passing on the rig
ht.
That is your opinion only. I have never heard of any law that says you can't pass on the right. Please post a link to any vehicle code that says you can't pass a stopped car on the right. You are just making up your own rules.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
Did I miss it or is nobody going to ask whether there were directions (arrows) on the road? If it is a two lane space and obviously so, and car B passes (no oncoming traffic) then they have the right of way in that lane, like it or not. Car A is at fault for not checking before a turn.

That said I think it is a jerk move to just pull around in a parking lot just because you have to wait. I mean really. If it is that important call an ambulance. However pretty sure Car A is technically at fault even if Car B was an impatient jerk.

In a ONE lane parking lot with one way markers, car B is going outside the lane and Car A has the right of way. Car B is making a jerk move and also is at fault.
I have seen parking lots that you would never get through if you didn't go around other cars. I used to go to a Saturday Farmers Market that was held in a train station parking lot. Half the lot was blocked off for the market. The other half was one single loop. The hardest part was just getting into the parking lot because of all the cars waiting at the beginning of the loop for parked drivers to finish loading up their cars. Every time I would have to squeeze by four of five cars with just inches to spare, passing on the right or left. After getting by the stopped cars blocking the beginning of the loop, 90% of the time I could find a choice parking space already empty right next to the market. The other 10% of the time I could find one farther away, but always without having to wait. There are a lot of idiots in parking lots who would rather wait 10 minutes for a car to pull out, rather than driving around the parking lot and finding a space already open.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
While I appreciate that in the U.S. you drive on the right, so normally overtake on the
left, I wouldn't have thought that would apply while driving slowly in a parking lot, but
what do we Brits know, you kicked us out years ago because you didn't like our laws.
LOL, we are still the same as when we kicked you out. We make our own rules. Generally you can pass on the right or the left. There may be some local regulations, such as Keep Right Except to Pass, but most drivers just ignore that. So if you want to pass slower traffic, you just have to weave back and forth between lanes. Note that 80% of the people taking the poll are answering the question wrong. Which is pretty typical of American drivers. 80% would rather just make up their own rules, rather than follow established traffic laws. And as others have said parking lots are a total free for all. Nobody pays attention to traffic rules in parking lots, and I mean nobody, zero.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:49 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
I kinda see it that way too.

If someone, (a pedestrian), was crossing in front of car A, it's reasonable to think that the driver of car B would see that through the rear window and windshield of car A, if car A was waiting for car C to back out, (how did car C get into this picture?), then perhaps the driver of car A should have activated his hazard lights.

There is no reason to assume that car B could see through the windows of car A. Maybe car A was a van or a big SUV. The OP did not give tha info. Car B obviously did not know why car A stopped. The appearance from the little info we have is that car B is an impatient driver. Regardless if he is or not, he is responsible to be very careful when making his pass. He should already have on his mind that it is possible that car A could suddenly turn. He should not assume that car A saw him passing. Since there was a collision, it is not hard to deduce that car B did not think of any of these things. I think that gives him a share of the blame. I already said car A was. To blame. I will even assign the majority of it to him, but not all of it based on the OP. More facts might change my mind, but still haven't seen the OP post more info.

Car C was just an example of a reason why car A stopped. Remember car B can't read minds. Neither can we. We are trying to figure out why car A stopped where he did. I doubt that he stopped for no reason at all. Knowing the reason might also change my mind. Will the OP tell us?

Old 10-19-2017, 12:45 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,736 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? Yanks don't like laws - period!

Old 10-19-2017, 01:05 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
I have to wonder if the OP is car B and they are trying to justify their reasoning for driving around car A and getting hit. Yes, car A should have used their turn signal, but car B should have had a bit more patience before trying to drive around a vehicle on the right. The assumption is that Car A stopped for a reason and generally that reason would be to pull into a parking space. From the limited information given, it is tough to outline who would be labeled at fault, but I suspect the limited information was given on purpose in hopes that everyone would align with what the OP is thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive