Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:32 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Patience and diligence
I've been patient for probably about two years (that's when I started hitting up CL and Autotrader for used Mustang GTs), seeing some great deals come and go, but not really being financially ready to pull the trigger. But in those years, I've been able to better decipher between what is a good deal and what isn't. So, the thought process is once I'm ready to buy another car, it should be simple (should be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 12:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I've been patient for probably about two years (that's when I started hitting up CL and Autotrader for used Mustang GTs), seeing some great deals come and go, but not really being financially ready to pull the trigger. But in those years, I've been able to better decipher between what is a good deal and what isn't. So, the thought process is once I'm ready to buy another car, it should be simple (should be).
Do you look nationwide?

I have found some good deals on specialty cars but sometimes you may have to drive or flay a thousand miles (or get it shipped). Even with that expense it is still a good deal. However I am generally looking for a very specific car with a specific set of options, which is more important to me than a bargain. If I get a car that is less than what I want to save a few hundred dollars, and then spend the next fifteen years annoyed about my compromise, it is not worth it.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Do you look nationwide?

...I am generally looking for a very specific car with a specific set of options, which is more important to me than a bargain. ...
yes... good idea to do a rss feed on a nationwide CL search. I actually EXCLUDE rust belt in my search. So many yrs ago (pre Y2K) before the dealers bought Autotrader, they had a great search excluding rustbelt!

Now I have to screen by region / state.

I buy most my vehicles via web. Usually 'fly-Drive' to bring home (~$200 for ticket + fuel), or use uShip to find an empty hotshotter.

I have a 'phone-walk-around' procedure and checklist for inspecting the car. Higher end stuff, I hire a shop, or enlist the help of a 'usersgroup' to physically look it over.

I find many sellers are not very good at screening for 'non-smoker / non-pet' vehicle

Old 10-19-2017, 02:53 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,988,669 times
70's Firebird or Camaro.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:05 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
I think I narrowed down the choices to a 3rd gen Miata or a Z4 and yes these can be had around $10k or less.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:31 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Those cars I consider grocery getters. The Accord V6 coupe is probably the closest to being a sports/luxury car, especially if you get the EX-L package. As others have alluded to in the thread, one having $10k and not wanting to purchase a family car, but yet a cool, sporty car that turns heads. For instance, one of my good friends in Roanoke, VA last year purchased a '97 (I think it was that year, or either it was a '98) BMW Z3. It had somewhere around 75k+ miles on it, and I think he got it for around $7k. Beautiful car! One of those vehicles in which its looks stands the test of time. It still looks impressive 20 years later and it still turns heads. I was actually a bit jealous when I saw it!
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I didn't know what is meant by a "non-appliance" vehicle.

For a cool car I guess I would buy an old Benz and would "lump" the maintenance costs, that is, just pay them outside the initial $10K price.

I don't know much about sports cars or American cars.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:02 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Do you look nationwide?

I have found some good deals on specialty cars but sometimes you may have to drive or flay a thousand miles (or get it shipped). Even with that expense it is still a good deal. However I am generally looking for a very specific car with a specific set of options, which is more important to me than a bargain. If I get a car that is less than what I want to save a few hundred dollars, and then spend the next fifteen years annoyed about my compromise, it is not worth it.
I'm starting to, because I realize that keeping my search within a driving distance is eliminating a lot of options. I'd just hate to have to fly out across the country to look for a car and then decide it's not as advertised. That could get expensive.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:17 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
I'm starting to, because I realize that keeping my search within a driving distance is eliminating a lot of options. I'd just hate to have to fly out across the country to look for a car and then decide it's not as advertised. That could get expensive.
That's when you have someone local check it out and take pictures and give it a walk around. I have done that for someone just off of a Lightning forum I was on. Unless you want to spend the money to fly around its easier to ask or pay someone just for the time and gas to go for you.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:12 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Do you look nationwide?

Why would you look nationwide for a Mustang GT? I could see it for something more rare but not a Mustang. Maybe a Corvette even though there's thousands of Corvettes, but then I have more faith in a Corvette being owned by fat accountant named Bob who doesn't hoon it and actually gets maintenance done.

I'm sort of watching the 996 market at the moment. It's tempting given the absurd prices of used P-cars, but then the 996 is awful. I don't really mind the looks. They look great from three sides and I don't really mind the fried eggs it has going on on the ugly side. It's just that they're money pits even if you either get one that's already had the user paid recall done so the engine doesn't blow up or do it yourself, they still are money pits. Up front price is nice but they're sort of the E55 AMG of the Porsche world. Yes, it's cheap to buy but you'll probably spend just as much money over the course of ownership as you would on an E63 or 997. Not the best example as E63s are money pits too and old enough they're not really much more expensive than an E55 nowadays.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:58 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Life's too short to buy boring cars, even if you're on a budget. I voted with my wallet and bought a $7500 luxury sport sedan for myself and an $8500 luxury sport convertible for my wife and I:

The 740i Sport is my daily driver and has a couple grand in modifications to make it a bit more unique and a bit more sporty. The 330ci ZHP convertible is almost perfect out of the box and only has a few convenience mods (Bluetooth module for streaming audio). We take it out for weekend road trips, and my wife uses it to go places for her business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive