Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 05:52 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,200 times

Advertisements

I posted this topic in the Toyota section because I have a 2005 Scion tc, but have gotten no response; so I'm also posting here because this issue can happen to any vehicle.

Here's my current situation with my 2005 Scion tc:

A week ago both of my power windows just stopped working. I used them on a Saturday, but they failed to work on Sunday. This is not a reset issue (though I've tried that several times), as I haven't disconnected the battery in months. This is not a passenger window lock issue - neither window works. This is also not a blown fuse issue. I checked both fuses today - they are both fine. I am not having issues with the door locks or anything else, just both power windows. I could understand if one window has a problem, but both at the same time? What, are they connected like Christmas tree lights - one goes out, they both do? Before I go ordering parts or have someone look at it, is there a most likely issue I can look at myself before I go fumbling around on my own inside the door. I'm not too mechanically inclined, but I can get by on very simple fixes. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Also, I'm glad the windows were up when they died...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 09:49 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I posted this topic in the Toyota section because I have a 2005 Scion tc, but have gotten no response; so I'm also posting here because this issue can happen to any vehicle.

Here's my current situation with my 2005 Scion tc:

A week ago both of my power windows just stopped working. I used them on a Saturday, but they failed to work on Sunday. This is not a reset issue (though I've tried that several times), as I haven't disconnected the battery in months. This is not a passenger window lock issue - neither window works. This is also not a blown fuse issue. I checked both fuses today - they are both fine. I am not having issues with the door locks or anything else, just both power windows. I could understand if one window has a problem, but both at the same time? What, are they connected like Christmas tree lights - one goes out, they both do? Before I go ordering parts or have someone look at it, is there a most likely issue I can look at myself before I go fumbling around on my own inside the door. I'm not too mechanically inclined, but I can get by on very simple fixes. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Also, I'm glad the windows were up when they died...

Check the 'Child-proof' button?

Old 10-24-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Check the 'Child-proof' button?
I addressed that issue in my statement. Read carefully next time.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:08 PM

Maybe I should try this? If it is this, I'm confused why the locks work, but neither window does. However, someone in the comments section of this video had my very same scenario and this fixed it. I'll start searching ebay tomorrow.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BsinmJWym6Q

Old 10-25-2017, 05:18 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times
Quote:

I was in 'special ed' because of my inability to "read carefully". Thank the Lord you do not have that problem.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:45 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Not a Toyota, but a coworker just had to replace the window switch panel on his wife's Nissan because none of the power windows would go down (sedan = four windows) . Dealer told him it's a common replacement part because of wear and tear and because it can get wet from the window being down a little in the rain while driving, etc, etc.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:58 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
I purchased a used master switch and solved my power window issue.
The switch in the drivers door that controls all windows.
Cheap money.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:04 PM

Thanks! I think it's the switch too. It's a 13 year old car, I like the windows down, and I live in the South, so 13 years of heat have dried out my window seals, so I'm sure rain and humidity have made their way into the switch one too many times.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:34 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:

I had the answer for you, same thing happened to me, and it was an easy fix. But, since you were so rude to The Grand K man, I think I'll let you figure it out on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive