Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 12:45 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

In Turlock CA, a speeding drunk driver hit the rear of a man's car whilst he was at a stop sign. The collision was so bad that the poor man's cry ignited in fire and burned down. The man died from burning to death. The guy who hit him escaped with minor injuries.

Okay, this is frightening to me. So if someone hits your car in high speed, whilst at a stop, your car can burn down? Excuse my knowledge in cars, because cars and automotive aren't my hing. But is this common? Or it is a rare occurrence? Could his car been 'faulty'?

For more info on the above incident (btw, the guy was a mutual friend of my family's ): Turlock man killed in fiery crash west of town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 01:43 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,228,591 times
The gas tank is in the rear so certainly the risk is there though cars are designed to avoid this in most scenarios. But there's always that edge case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgOxWPGsJNY

Old 10-26-2017, 02:17 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
You have the heat from the car engine that hits the sitting car. You have gas in that sitting car. The impact could crumple the car to the point of trapping the driver depending on the speed of course.

The cruze is a small car. Depending on the speed of the mustang it could have easily broken through any safety devices on the Cruze. They said no sign of him hitting the brakes.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:43 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
It is rare but not unheard of. If the collision ruptured the fuel tank and the fumes come in contact with any ignition source, whether it be friction sparks, sparks from damaged wiring, etc., you'll have a fire.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:06 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Cars have gotten better over the years, partially because of the government telling them they have to do certain things. That Pinto example was a good one of how an unprotected fuel tank can be crushed and rupture. The model A Ford had the fuel tank sitting right over your lap in the top of the cowl.

But no design is perfect, and when you have 15-20 gallons of flammable liquid stored behind you, sometimes things go wrong. But it is not something that happens every time a car is rear ended.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:21 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Read about Ford Pintos and Crown Victorias of some years ago. Some of the Crown Victorias were the Police Interceptor version.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:51 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Fuel leak + ignition source = fire. If the victim was knocked unconscious or badly dazed, or trapped...let's hope he was unconscious. I can't imagine a worse death. First thing to do when you're on the brakes is check your rearview.

Drunks and nuts are out at all hours. 7am in this case. Disgusting. The drunk is usually uninjured.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Gas tank gets ruptured, Gas spills on exhaust pipe/muffler. Electric fuel pump in tank might be damaged, electric wires cause ignition.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:17 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
In Turlock CA, a speeding drunk driver hit the rear of a man's car whilst he was at a stop sign. The collision was so bad that the poor man's cry ignited in fire and burned down. The man died from burning to death. The guy who hit him escaped with minor injuries.

Okay, this is frightening to me. So if someone hits your car in high speed, whilst at a stop, your car can burn down? Excuse my knowledge in cars, because cars and automotive aren't my hing. But is this common? Or it is a rare occurrence? Could his car been 'faulty'?

For more info on the above incident (btw, the guy was a mutual friend of my family's ): Turlock man killed in fiery crash west of town
Sorry to hear of your loss

It's uncommon for a car to catch fire in a rear-end collision, due to improved construction and safety features. The Ford Pinto was famous for catching fire when it was a$$-ended but that was a 1970's vehicle

The force of the collision likely caused a rupture in the fuel tank on the victim's car. Pretty much anything could have ignited the fumes/fuel at that point--electrical system wiring,etc.

My thoughts are with you and I can't even imagine what his family is going through. Only 28 years old. What a waste.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
the tank doesnt even have to rupture either. if the fuel line breaks, many are either rubber or plastic and over time can deteriorate and fracture, and then leak fuel. and then all you need is an ignition source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive