Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 08:10 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,504,647 times

Advertisements

Transmission. Exactly what happened to me when mine went out on my 2001 Cadillac DHS. Only had 107k miles on it. I loved that car, could have replaced the trans but I was just tired of it, so I let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 07:03 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Transmission. Exactly what happened to me when mine went out on my 2001 Cadillac DHS. Only had 107k miles on it. I loved that car, could have replaced the trans but I was just tired of it, so I let it go.
Damn. Did you find out what happened to cause it to go out like that?

Old 10-30-2017, 07:08 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Damn. Did you find out what happened to cause it to go out like that?
He said he checked the oil and it was empty, so he added some. It wasn't clear if he was checking the 710 cap or the transmission fluid, but either one empty is the end of the car.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:47 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Quote:
Damn, so you're sure it's a transmission? That's what I was fearing. I check the oil and its bone dry so I added some more and tried again and no luck. No movement, no tires spinning, same sound.
Honestly it's hard to say without being there to look at the thing. But what you describe sounds like a transmission failure. There's a slim chance it could be failed axle shaft- which *might* be far less expensive (depending on exactly what failed). But it's impossible to know without an inspection.

Better have it looked at. Diagnosis via internet has its limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
This is solid good advice IF your car is still in safe driveable condition. Never ,ever, bail on a good car because of a repair to buy a new ,or newer, car.

Fix the car and enjoy several more years of driving it which is way better than car payments all the time.
Generally speaking I would agree with you. Hell I drive a 16-year-old GM vehicle that's just shy of 300,000 miles. Keeping an older vehicle running *can* be far less expensive than buying something newer.

But these GM's (mine included) are thow-away cars. A transmission will cost most of what that Intrigue is worth. And then BEST CASE scenario is that Badger here is left with a worn-out Oldsmobile Intrigue with a good transmission.

Not worth it IMO, and that goes for my mechanically similar GM vehicle (2001 Lumina). I'll keep fixing it indefinitely as long as the repairs are cheap. But when the engine or transmission fails... off to the scrapyard

Old 11-02-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
He said he checked the oil and it was empty, so he added some. It wasn't clear if he was checking the 710 cap or the transmission fluid, but either one empty is the end of the car.
Funny thats how it was for me. I had added oil in September by the way, and checked a day after my car broke down and it was bone dry. Is it possible oil could have been leaking on to it?

Old 11-02-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Honestly it's hard to say without being there to look at the thing. But what you describe sounds like a transmission failure. There's a slim chance it could be failed axle shaft- which *might* be far less expensive (depending on exactly what failed). But it's impossible to know without an inspection.

Better have it looked at. Diagnosis via internet has its limitations.

Generally speaking I would agree with you. Hell I drive a 16-year-old GM vehicle that's just shy of 300,000 miles. Keeping an older vehicle running *can* be far less expensive than buying something newer.

But these GM's (mine included) are thow-away cars. A transmission will cost most of what that Intrigue is worth. And then BEST CASE scenario is that Badger here is left with a worn-out Oldsmobile Intrigue with a good transmission.

Not worth it IMO, and that goes for my mechanically similar GM vehicle (2001 Lumina). I'll keep fixing it indefinitely as long as the repairs are cheap. But when the engine or transmission fails... off to the scrapyard

Yeaa, I'm done with this car. Apparently there was a miscommunication as well with the grocery store I had left it parked on. The night manager I spoke to gave me permission to leave it there until I could have people help push it, however he never notified the day manager and the day manager called to have it towed. Oh well.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:59 PM

295 posts, read 354,200 times
Car is front wheel drive so it could just be the cv half shafts. I once had one side totally fail and had similar symptoms - grinding and banging and car would not move in any gear. If it's just this then you're looking at $100-150 installed.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:57 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
definitely get a professional opinion.

if you find an identical wrecked car, you might be able to get a working transmission for cheap. the key is the car must be wrecked because it would indicate that the car was working.

I was sure my daughter's car had a failing rear diff and was prepared to trade the car for next to nothing for a replacement but decided to bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic for a professional opinion. turned out to be a relatively cheaper wheel bearing. I just had the wheel bearing a few months earlier so I couldn't believe it would fail again.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:09 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Funny thats how it was for me. I had added oil in September by the way, and checked a day after my car broke down and it was bone dry. Is it possible oil could have been leaking on to it?
During the 17 years of it's life did you do transmission maintenance?

fwiw: Most people check engine oil. Most people rarely check transmission fluid.

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/1...ck_fluid_level

Old 11-03-2017, 08:29 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Do not put a $1000 saddle on a $200 horse. The transmission might cost more than the car is worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive