Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 09:51 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,902,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
It is apples to apples......IT IS THE SAME TRUCK!

I understand your point but it just shows that used can cost more than it should! No one mentioned the supply issue, dozens if not hundreds of new identical trucks are for sale right now so you just need to haggle a few different dealers to get the best price.

On the used market there are less identical models available so the haggle part of the equation isn't in your favor.
Dealers typically have more room to negotiate on used. The average per unit profit margin of used sales is usually 2X (or more) of new. So even if there is more of a constrained supply that doesn't mean a dealer won't negotiate on a used truck as much.

My whole point before was you can't compare a price in one time period to a price 4-years later. The decision has to be what is a new one vs a used one at the time you buy it. Then you can make a decision. I'm generally a new car buyer but I have done both. Got three cars in the garage now, two I bought new and one I bought used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 10:02 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,093,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Ford made the Mazda, not the other way around, for what it's worth. Rangers were darn good trucks and popular. Ford only stopped making them when they changed the CAFE rules and the Ranger no longer added value there. Ford lost too much money on each one they sold. The new Ranger program should have a better financial equation for Ford.
Fair enough, I'm no car guy (obvioisly) I work on them but I say: "I bang my head on the block till its fixed"

Point being I was scared of Rangers because in the 90's everyone I knew either loved it or called it the worst lemon they'd ever seen, and I don't like that variable. ... but another look showed they fixed the issues for the year range i looked for.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:25 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,703,971 times
Quote:
Ford only stopped making them when they changed the CAFE rules and the Ranger no longer added value there. Ford lost too much money on each one they sold. The new Ranger program should have a better financial equation for Ford.
The also found it nearly impossible to compete with the Toyota Tacoma. Rangers are great trucks but given they sold for pretty much the same money as the equivalent Tacoma (but now crew cab option) toward the end only the Ford guys bought them. Apparently they are bringing it back with a crew cab option so it may sell pretty well.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:48 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,093,408 times
You can find a unpopular/undervalued but still excellent quality vehicle for (in my case) less than half the cost of more popular models, and even MORE of a discount under new (price per mile)

Last edited by Themanwithnoname; 10-30-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-30-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Same car, same dealership chain with a no haggle price policy:
New Ford Explorer Limited 2017 For Sale - ED78968
$36,923 BRAND NEW

Used Ford Explorer Limited 2017 For Sale - B81614F
$33,900 18K miles, same color, same trim (limited).

Using their calculator the payment difference is about $44 a month. However if the new one has better financing than 4.9......lets say 0.9 then the new one is actually about $30 a month cheaper! Same car, same color, same trim level and the new one is cheaper!

Remember this is a no haggle dealership, the price is what it is so you can't negotiate the price lower.
The used one has a CPO warranty on it so that may be part of the reason the price spread is not where you'd think it should be. The cost of that CPO warranty may be baked into the price so someone may be able to buy it without the CPO warranty at a lower price.

Another factor in-play here is the new one is being advertised with the following:

Price includes: $500 - Ford Credit Retail Bonus Customer Cash. Exp. 01/02/2018, $500 - Retail Bonus Customer Cash. Exp. 01/02/2018, $4,000 - Retail Customer Cash. Exp. 10/31/2017 Must Finance with Ford Motor Credit $500 - Exp. 11/01/2017

The rate with FMCC might be higher than what a customer can normally get at their own bank or whatever. If they customer elects to finance with another source then most or all of those rebates get taken away. So to get that $36,923 price the customer may have to deal with a higher than normal interest rate.

But all things being equal, nobody in their right mind would pay $33,900 for a used one if you can get a new one for $36,900. That would not make any sense so eventually that dealer would have to sell that used one for less. (Unless they get lucky and a customer who doesn't know any better buys it.)

Old 10-30-2017, 11:00 AM

77,800 posts, read 59,963,843 times
Currently used car prices are extremely high (People can check the Manheim index if they disagree).

As such, especially when considering a lot of year end incentives and having to worry about repair costs...buying a "basic" new car may be the better choice.

But, it's such a complicated, individual question that there is no one silver bullet.

Just watch out for people selling the latest batch of "flood cars" from Houston etc.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:03 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,780,846 times
Quote:
You do realize that truck was probably only 18K new 12 years ago........
In 2006, a Ranger 4x4 supercab with the V6 was between $22K and $26K+ depending on trim-level.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
The also found it nearly impossible to compete with the Toyota Tacoma. Rangers are great trucks but given they sold for pretty much the same money as the equivalent Tacoma (but now crew cab option) toward the end only the Ford guys bought them. Apparently they are bringing it back with a crew cab option so it may sell pretty well.
Sales volume or demand is not why the Ranger was discontinued. It was always a good selling truck and a good performing truck. It was 100% a cost structure issue and that's why there weren't many big redesigns of it during the latter years.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:14 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,780,846 times
Quote:
Sales volume or demand is not why the Ranger was discontinued. It was always a good selling truck and a good performing truck. It was 100% a cost structure issue and that's why there weren't many big redesigns of it during the latter years.
Exactly. They could build an F150 for about the same raw cost and of course sell it for more, thus making a greater profit.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Exactly. They could build an F150 for about the same raw cost and of course sell it for more, thus making a greater profit.
It wasn't the same but it was closer than most people would realize. Heck, I could say the same of the difference between a Fiesta and an F-150. The build cost between those two vehicles is not nearly as large as the retail sales price difference is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive