Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:14 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Your idea won't work if you put your cell phone or laptop or tablet in your old car since *in theory* any electronic device can be traced/tracked *using your logic*.
Better wrap the head liner with tin foil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 11:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
as always, it is BEST to stay 'Stealth'

Our rights are diminishing and insurance companies are pushing for tracking.

Most of my 40+ vehicles wear once / lifetime "collector" plates and some are not 12V, so I hope to remain "Stealth" till I croak.

My RFID WA DL may give me away

but... I will bet they have been watching me for many yrs!

Old 11-04-2017, 11:52 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Cars have had GPS units on them for a long time...I think since the 90's...where they could be located by someone. As we go more electric and driverless, I'm sure driving privileges are going to be easier to be taken away.

At some point, I'd imagine old cars that could be rented by people who want to get away and be off the grid might become a luxury again. Plus, old cars are pretty cheap, so having a fleet of nice fixed up ones just waiting and having a few miles to keep them in check might be a decent alternative investment to make.

But, does anyone know how old they'd have to be....or what were some really nice cars to drive that are that old?

All the best
Sounds like the world’s worst investment.

The only people who don’t want to be tracked are the same people who use prepaid phones. It means they’re upto something illegal. Otherwise Big Brother probably has something better to do than watch you drive to Walgreens.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:03 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Unless you payed cash in full your vehicle is lo-jacked.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:11 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wasn't OnStar an optional, paid service? So every GM car didn't have it.
Quote:
If may have been physically installed, but what if you didn't pay for the ongoing service?
even if you didnt pay for the service, if onstar was installed, then it is active for emergency use, and that means your car can be tracked.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:46 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Unless you payed cash in full your vehicle is lo-jacked.
Nonsense.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:00 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
In my state and states nearby,a system for public tracing has been implemented. The cars license plate can be tracked thru this system. No GPS required. License readers software has been around for awhile. If the car is registered...it's traceable.
Even if the plate is removed and placed on a non registered vehicle...the public servant knows and you can expect to be fined along with other judicial penalties.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:30 AM

5,170 posts, read 6,133,704 times
While not one to grasp conspiracy theory's the American publics time is extremely running out to remain off the grid as meaning in locatable. Now there are percentages of Americans who do not use cellphones or new vehicles but they remain a shrinking group.

A little excerpt of what can be accomplished right now with vehicles:

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hu...e-irma-n800231

I am not a tech geek but I think technology has advanced a lot farther than a lot of us really know.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Let's do a logic experiment. If every modern car was somehow traceable, then why aren't police using this alleged technology? Why do we have Amber alerts? Wouldn't the police just drive around picking up criminals on the run?

Old 11-05-2017, 07:12 AM

5,170 posts, read 6,133,704 times
Quote:
Let's do a logic experiment. If every modern car was somehow traceable, then why aren't police using this alleged technology? Why do we have Amber alerts? Wouldn't the police just drive around picking up criminals on the run?

Eventually in the near future if someone can definitely positively identify a car by color, brand and model, I would think LEO could then immediately contact the manufacturer to pinpoint who was at that exact location.

Again there are a small percentage of Americans that will always be driving older cars and be immune, but like the article I linked about Tesla, car manufacturers are developing or already have technology to send out up dates to their cars so pin pointing the cars location would be easy.

The technology is there to chip your child, jewelry, bracelet, cell phone, vehicle, etc., heck one company in Boston offered to chip their employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive