Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 04:20 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times

Advertisements

You can get some sketchy no name tires from China cheap....but I would also emphasize the used well reviewed name brand route over that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 05:41 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Whatever you buy, make sure you read the reviews.

There are many low cost tires out there that got excellent reviews from buyers who have run them for many thousands of miles.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:18 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do not know, but I would expect you get ore for your moeny at Costco. Also you cna research tire performance on Tire Rack. You will need to know who makes the tires Walmart sells and whether they make extra cheap versions just for Walmart (some companies supposedly do for other products)
You've brought up an issue that seems to rarely be discussed by anyone. Now I'm not mentioning any names of retailers or manufacturers, because this is a general thing that might apply to many different companies. But if a large retailer sells enough products, they may be able to order special production runs just for themselves, from manufacturers. The products might be made cheaper by using lower-grade materials and applying less quality-control to them. They would appear to be the same as are sold by other stores, but would not be as good.

There's many products that have a need to be top-grade, that I would never buy from any of the retail giants. And I never buy store brands or "house brands" of anything, for the same reason, unless it's something like toilet paper or thumbtacks.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:33 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
it's something like toilet paper or thumbtacks.
An interesting combination!

Old 11-06-2017, 07:07 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
You can get some sketchy no name tires from China cheap....but I would also emphasize the used well reviewed name brand route over that.
Agreed about Chinese products distributed in the US...that's a nation that even skimps on friggin food safety...illegal toxic fillers ect. Certainly wouldn't trust them to manufacture quality tires!

CALL around to the bigger places like Discount Tire, NTB, ect and ask if they have any specials going on in the size you need. Maybe I've just been lucky but with the bloody exception of my Solara which took an odd size, I've always found good buy 3 get 1 free deals on safe and effective name brand tires. I think they may be more likely to offer you a deal if you call because they will know you are price shopping. You don't want to be driving around in the snow and ice on bald tires.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:08 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I purchased my current ties at Walmart -- first tires I've ever bought from Walmart. They weren't cheap, but Walmart was by far the cheapest place I could fine the particular tire I wanted (Pirelli P4). I'll probably be pricing winter tires there in the next couple weeks.

As a few on here have suggested, I shopped on the web to decide which tire I wanted. From there it was easy to price compare, and Walmart was VERY competitive with their pricing. I ordered at the local store but had to wait a couple days for them to arrive....

Old 11-06-2017, 08:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Research at Tirerack, but buy used from this website:

Used Tires for Sale at Discount Prices - BestUsedTires.com

Have purchased numerous sets of tires from them w/o any issues.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:23 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
If I were in OP’s situation, I’d probably buy Douglas brand from Wal-Mart or whatever is cheap. Yes, your kicking the can down the road but your doing so by years and not months. Hopefully then you’ll be in a better spot money-wise. Just my .02.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:22 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
So after months, I finally have enough to pay my cars deductible and get it fixed. It's covering an alignment and balancing, but only one tire and I do need all four replaced cause the fronts are bald and the backs are quickly following. So will some basic Wal-Mart tires do for the time being until I can afford some good ones? It might be most of the winter too, as the holidays are coming up and that'll be when I have tons of money to spend from my holiday pay and OT. But that won't be until January due to timing.

Trust me, I'd get great tires considering this is my first time driving in winter (and I already flew into a ditch ffs) BUT I can't afford them now and I'm a bit paranoid to wait.
I got sentury tires for 55 a piece from discount tire. that was the cheapest available and should work fine.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:54 AM

18,727 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Yes. in Mpls, get winter snow tires with studs now, even cheap ones. Then in summer, spring for some good all-seasons instead, like Goodyear or Michelin.

I second what poster TrapperL said about Discount Tire. Their "Arizonian" house brand is a pretty good tire (I usually use Michelins, costing nearly twice as much). Arizonians are quiet and grip well. I haven't tried them on snow.

I'm in San Diego now, and snow is something you travel to see. But I lived in Mpls for five years, and up in the Colorado mountains for even longer. Studded tires did me well in Mpls. Goodyear was a good brand too, as well as Michelin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive