Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:44 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times

Advertisements

Coming from the Midwest I still run across quite a few people who are hardcore buy only American types. Typically these are also people who trade in every 2-3 years though, they are definitely not ones with plans to keep a vehicle 8-10 years.

Toyota alone employs something like 35k+ American workers..that isn't insignificant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 09:03 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,132,407 times
I have found the Buy American types feel that the problems the Detroit cars give them is normal. They have never experienced a good, well made car. The longest I ever kept a Detroit 3 car was five years, most getting traded in after three. The LEAST I ever kept a Japanese make car was eight years. I have had my Nissan truck for 24 years.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:13 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I have found the Buy American types feel that the problems the Detroit cars give them is normal. They have never experienced a good, well made car. The longest I ever kept a Detroit 3 car was five years, most getting traded in after three. The LEAST I ever kept a Japanese make car was eight years. I have had my Nissan truck for 24 years.
The shortest I ever kept a Detroit 3 car was 3 years; the longest was 18 years (I have owned my '76 Cadillac since 1999).

Old 11-10-2017, 01:19 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post

I have a 2017 Toyota Corolla, too. It was built in Blue Springs, Mississippi. I expect even better durability with it. I'm 64 now and that Corolla should be the last car I ever have to buy.
You probably could be 20 or 30 years younger and make this statement. The Corollas I've had have been the most reliable cars I've ever owned. I didn't keep them much over 12 years, but I never had a a single non-maintenance repair expense.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:44 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldriveem View Post
Not exactly. Those employee's spent their paychecks here at local shops, the plant's owners paid property taxes, american suppliers made profits that were kept here and provided more jobs, American construction companies built the plant's, and American folks had jobs that paid for home's and educations and supported their local communities. So yeah whatever was left over went to the parent Japanese companies as profits, but those profits were used to expand the buisiness and hire more Americans. I see it as a win/win.
The only issue that I can see is when the automakers will play off different states to get goodies from the governments at taxpayer expense. Mercedes Benz did that in Alabama to the extent that it blew a hole in the state budget about 20 years ago.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:59 PM

127 posts, read 282,231 times
Only supercar built in the USA (central Ohio) is the Acura NSX from our Japanese friends at Honda.

It’s an amazing car with bleeding edge technology.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:11 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,862 times
[quote=stilldriveem;50066664]Not exactly. Those employee's spent their paychecks here at local shops, the plant's owners paid property taxes, american suppliers made profits that were kept here and provided more jobs, American construction companies built the plant's, and American folks had jobs that paid for home's and educations and supported their local communities. So yeah whatever was left over went to the parent Japanese companies as profits, but those profits were used to expand the buisiness and hire more Americans. I see it as a win/win.[/QUOTE

Would you still feel the same if you knew for every American job that was generated by foreign assembly in the US 3 or 4 more we eliminated? That's basically what has happened.

The final assembly jobs wash-out but the net loss comes from the fact that most imports still use far more foreign parts. For example, instead of getting a seat from Lear (Southfield, MI) or Johnson Controls (Milwaukee, WI) your car may have a seat from Toyota Boshoku (Japan) or NHK (Japan.)

It's great that some foreign companies have opened plants here but that is just one of the many things involved with the automotive supply chain. Focusing on where a car is built is not anywhere near the whole story.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:11 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
The thing is tho, the Japanese have brought us arguably better products at least in the reliability sense.

What I see as a tragic loss for both the american worker and the end consumer is all the manufacturing of other items (you name it) that has been outsourced to China resulting in basically garbage throwaway products.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:17 PM

276 posts, read 178,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmath View Post
And all of the profits from those Japanese cars (no matter where they are made) are still going back to Japan. I know it doesn't matter to some people but supporting an American company is still important to me.
This.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:20 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
The thing is tho, the Japanese have brought us arguably better products at least in the reliability sense.

What I see as a tragic loss for both the american worker and the end consumer is all the manufacturing of other items (you name it) that has been outsourced to China resulting in basically garbage throwaway products.
Don't disagree with any of that, but people need to keep in mind the Japanese automakers came here with significant funding from their government which helped them build higher quality cars from the beginning.

Yet the domestic automakers received no sort of help from our government and people were all bent out of shape over the bailout loans GM and Chrysler got.

There is no doubt that the American automakers had their fair share of self-inflicted wounds, but if people knew the whole story I think they would be less critical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive