Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 11:59 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It has the ability to back up. It couldn't so it did what it was designed to job - stop and wait for the traffic to clear.
Note to manufacturer: Add a warning device that makes a loud sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 12:05 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,737,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The day I get a self driving vehicle, just put me on life support or shoot me to put me out of my misery.
You might want to start on that will.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The title of the thread states it was in a accident and not the cause of it. That being said, the 360 degree sensors on my vehicles squeal loudly when the vehicle comes too close to coming in contact with another vehicle and my front end sensor would apply the brakes if I didn't. The technology has existed for nearly 15 years and should have been in this bus.
The bus did what it was supposed to do. It stopped. It can't control drivers especially ones who back into a stopped vehicle. The bus was not at fault at all for this accident. The driver of the truck was ticketed because he caused the accident. You can't back into other vehicles no matter who or what is driving them.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:25 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Note to manufacturer: Add a warning device that makes a loud sound.

If the bus didn't activate the horn that's a problem. Almost any human would have hit their horn. This is a very simple thing to implement compared to other driving situations that can arise.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:33 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Funny how they blamed the human driver. They keep blaming people. I say let them out there without a human and lets see those results.
Did you actually read the article?

Old 11-10-2017, 01:47 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Some of the issues for automated pilots is adapting to the environment and it often takes human intuition.

How many times have you used the horn to warn someone off, dodged a driver, read someone's face and adjusted, saw wandering and anticipated a lane change or turn, ignored lane lines to get around a bad situation, challenged a stream of drivers to get a position in a non metered situation, hurried or slowed to get out of a bad clump of traffic, etc. etc.

Even if autonomous vehicles take off there will be decades of human drivers and the need to deal with an unlimited number of unanticipated variations.
You are noting things that only about the best 5% or so of drivers do on a regular basis.

These are people that only very rarely cause problems for others and are NOT going to be where driverless cars provide a big benefit.

Driverless cars would remove the a-holes that get absorbed in their cell phone and cause 5 car pile ups like happened yesterday on the way to work causing several thousand people and me to lose about 15minutes in delays.

They remove the rubber-neckers that jam up traffic and cause additional accidents on top of existing accidents.

Drunk and impair drivers? Enough said.

The big benefit to driverless vehicles is removing the bottom 25% from wrecking (literally) everything for the rest of us.

Tell you this much people. Love the idea of having a driverless vehicle where everything is recorded and when something happens it's the other person that pays and your insurance costs don't go up. Not only that imagine if your current insurance cost you half of what it did or less?

Old 11-10-2017, 01:57 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,737,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You are noting things that only about the best 5% or so of drivers do on a regular basis.

These are people that only very rarely cause problems for others and are NOT going to be where driverless cars provide a big benefit.

Driverless cars would remove the a-holes that get absorbed in their cell phone and cause 5 car pile ups like happened yesterday on the way to work causing several thousand people and me to lose about 15minutes in delays.

They remove the rubber-neckers that jam up traffic and cause additional accidents on top of existing accidents.

Drunk and impair drivers? Enough said.

The big benefit to driverless vehicles is removing the bottom 25% from wrecking (literally) everything for the rest of us.

Tell you this much people. Love the idea of having a driverless vehicle where everything is recorded and when something happens it's the other person that pays and your insurance costs don't go up. Not only that imagine if your current insurance cost you half of what it did or less?
And it would remove the speeders and red light runners. I can't wait for that day. They both suck.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
I would like to know how these vehicles handle wildlife. I only read about them being used/run in cities...large cities at that. Do they have sensors so they can see a deer on the edge of the road? A deer crossing the road? Does it know to stop or slow down? What about something like a raccoon or possum? Wildlife is a major concern where I live. Certain streets you HAVE to drive slow on or you will get hit or hit a deer....or 8.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:20 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
And it would remove the speeders and red light runners. I can't wait for that day. They both suck.
True and like the other day when the light to turn into work turned green and only 3 cars got through because the front car sat there for 5 seconds surfing the web...even just annoying crap like that I'd love to get rid of.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:27 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Nope. Won't happen that way.

People will look back in 50 years and think we were insane for allowing human beings to control a 4000-6000lb vehicle doing 75 mph. Kinda like how we now think people were nuts for putting their kids in this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive