U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 05:25 AM

21 posts, read 8,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
$1500 for a 3 month warranty!>!?"!@>$?#@$#?

What did you pay? I have serious doubts you were under market value.
Let me explain this better. The base price was about $1,000 less than what falls right in the middle of the fair market range. With the over-inflated warranty price it probably comes out to be right exactly in the middle of that range. So, no, not below market value at all, I suppose, but not on the high end either.

There is some very minor damage that isn't too visible, but in any case, I'd rather not go on debating about the price of the vehicle.

I will update later today as I will be making another call to the lender about the GPS issue.
Thanks to everyone for their input and contributions on this! It is truly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 06:10 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,185,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
With all due respect, CaptainBob . . . is this a WEIRD JOKE?

No kidding !!!!!!! What dealership would waste their time by stealing good parts off of your car to make it break down sooner ? I think the telling part of this thread was the part about how he had to sue another dealer before.

All you need to do is call the dealer, tell them the lender says the GPS is working, and why do they think it is not. And I agree, only buy here pay here dealers do this, so avoid them like the plague.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:29 AM

7,364 posts, read 3,044,699 times
Seems the thread title should be "Customer Shenanigans".

Old 11-15-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No kidding !!!!!!! What dealership would waste their time by stealing good parts off of your car to make it break down sooner ? I think the telling part of this thread was the part about how he had to sue another dealer before.

All you need to do is call the dealer, tell them the lender says the GPS is working, and why do they think it is not. And I agree, only buy here pay here dealers do this, so avoid them like the plague.
Dealerships do in fact do this, especially when it is under a warranty where they have to "fix it" if something "goes wrong." They make money by pulling out the good parts, and then they make money when you come in and the warranty doesn't even cover a lot of the expense. duh.

The reason I sued the other dealer was because I never received my title. I won the case and got my money back. It isn't a telling part of the thread at all. It's because of my experience with the other dealership, which was in fact very crooked, that I no longer trust these types of places, and have to be careful. So I came here to get advice. You think there's something wrong with that?

Do you work for a car dealership by chance? Did you not know about all the racketeering that goes on and the criminal affiliations these used car dealerships have? You seriously don't know about all this? lol!!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Seems the thread title should be "Customer Shenanigans".
Sure pal.

Used car dealerships are often some of the most crooked organizations on the planet. Customers all have a right to protect themselves.

I do appreciate all of the prior input in this thread where people took my concerns seriously and addressed them.

And what "customer shenanigans" are you referring to? What have I done that would fall into this category? Going to an auto forum to get advice?

Old 11-15-2017, 01:05 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,097,733 times
Call the dealer and say, "Good news! The GPS is working fine. No problems -- thanks!" Hang up and go your merry way. Stop trying to assign motives. It doesn't matter.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:09 PM

10,230 posts, read 12,262,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBobCock View Post
Yes, I am going to do this, but I want to give the dealership the $400 that I still owe them on the down payment first, and that was promised for later this week. I will be fed-exing it instead of delivering the check in person. I live sufficiently far from them (45 miles or so) and work 5 days per week so I'll just string them along a few more days and let them think I might actually come in at some point. I want to keep the car and I want the deal to be finalized and to make sure there is nothing they can say to the lender to put me at risk. This may seem overly cautious but once the sale is truly a "done deal" then I will feel more secure with just dealing with the lender and ignoring these guys.
Ummmmm........you can't "string along" a buy here, pay here lot.......they will repo the car and you will be standing at the curb with your "string" in your hand!

Old 11-15-2017, 01:28 PM

9,677 posts, read 4,563,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ummmmm........you can't "string along" a buy here, pay here lot.......they will repo the car and you will be standing at the curb with your "string" in your hand!
Exactly. All these internet tough guys telling the OP to ignore the dealer or tell them where to stick it are not going to be the one paying the consequences.

OP needs to review their documents carefully to see what it says about the GPS reporting. Everyone understands that creditors routinely require full insurance coverage on financed cars and have recourse if you fail to maintain it. Likewise, you can bet that any creditor that requires GPS tracking as a condition for the loan has legal recourse built into the contract. They might be able to call in the loan or repo the car.

It's also likely the creditor delegates the GPS issue to the dealer for a small fee. All the creditor knows is what the dealer reports to them and in this case the dealer may not have reported an issue because they are giving the customer a chance to remediate it first.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:43 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,082,415 times
Fair market on that car is about $7K. So if you're paying half the value of the damn thing in short term warranties, you're paying too much, unless they gave it to you for free.

Another tip. The time to read all that paperwork is before you've signed anything or given them your money. Then you can walk.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Fair market on that car is about $7K. So if you're paying half the value of the damn thing in short term warranties, you're paying too much, unless they gave it to you for free.

Another tip. The time to read all that paperwork is before you've signed anything or given them your money. Then you can walk.
Where are you getting that info that fair market value is $7K?

Even from private sellers on craigslist the car goes for about $10K and at dealerships it's going to be more. The car I have is pretty much fully loaded. You can't possibly know the market value of a car unless you know what add ons and accessories are on it.

And yes you are right - the time to read that paperwork was before leaving the dealership. It would take too long to explain my situation but on that particular day I thought i was going to have plenty of time and then something happened and I had to rush through the deal. Never again.

Last edited by CaptainBobCock; 11-15-2017 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or