U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:40 PM

21 posts, read 8,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Exactly. All these internet tough guys telling the OP to ignore the dealer or tell them where to stick it are not going to be the one paying the consequences.

OP needs to review their documents carefully to see what it says about the GPS reporting. Everyone understands that creditors routinely require full insurance coverage on financed cars and have recourse if you fail to maintain it. Likewise, you can bet that any creditor that requires GPS tracking as a condition for the loan has legal recourse built into the contract. They might be able to call in the loan or repo the car.

It's also likely the creditor delegates the GPS issue to the dealer for a small fee.
All the creditor knows is what the dealer reports to them and in this case the dealer may not have reported an issue because they are giving the customer a chance to remediate it first.
Actually as I said I would do, I called the lender again first before saying anything to the dealership. I spoke to a different representative this time, and without me even bringing it up they said "there seems to be a problem with the GPS." So yeah, all the tough guys telling me "for good grief...just call the dealer and say..etc" and things like that, no I did not do that. I wanted to make 100% sure.

So I brough it in to them today. It ended up not being a mechanical problem in the unit but something in the software at the other end. I gave the dealer a $400 check for the rest of the down payment and it's all a done deal now - nice and legit.

Thanks for your insight and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 04:45 PM

2,702 posts, read 3,739,909 times
I have bought from all kinds of car dealers over my 45 years of owning cars and I have yet to have any of the less than desirable dealers put a GPS on any car I bought.. ALSO, some of the best experiences were at these type pf dealers.. More so than the Legit dealerships....

Anyway it sounds to me like you are leaving out some parts when you tell us this.....

Old 11-15-2017, 04:59 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,284,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
BTW the BBB rating means little to nothing.

I found this out with a new car dealer. I had a 2003 Mini Cooper that I took in for service at my local Mini dealer. The car was out of warranty. They replaced the battery and a couple of other things, charged me $1,000 and declared the car fixed. Two days later, the same problems that I had taken the car in for had returned, and my car was now stalling and my gas gauge quit working. When I took the car back, they told me that they were going to charge me more diagnostic fees to diagnose the new problems that they caused, and they tried to blame my air conditioner compressor for the car stalling (even though the car stalled with the AC turned off). I filed a complaint with the BBB, and they told me that the dealership made a good faith effort to address my problems. They made no effort at all. They gave me a rental car for two days, charged me a grand, fixed nothing and broke other stuff. I left and found an independent mechanic, who diagnosed within 20 minutes what had eluded the Mini dealer for almost three days.

At that point I learned that BBB exists primarily to boost their paid members, not to provide any protection or assurance for customers.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:26 PM

10,203 posts, read 12,245,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBobCock View Post
Actually as I said I would do, I called the lender again first before saying anything to the dealership. I spoke to a different representative this time, and without me even bringing it up they said "there seems to be a problem with the GPS." So yeah, all the tough guys telling me "for good grief...just call the dealer and say..etc" and things like that, no I did not do that. I wanted to make 100% sure.

So I brough it in to them today. It ended up not being a mechanical problem in the unit but something in the software at the other end. I gave the dealer a $400 check for the rest of the down payment and it's all a done deal now - nice and legit.

Thanks for your insight and help.
Good job Bob, I was worried there you might have to change your screen name to CaptainBobWalk!

Old 11-15-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I have bought from all kinds of car dealers over my 45 years of owning cars and I have yet to have any of the less than desirable dealers put a GPS on any car I bought.. ALSO, some of the best experiences were at these type pf dealers.. More so than the Legit dealerships....

Anyway it sounds to me like you are leaving out some parts when you tell us this.....

The lender wanted the GPS on the car due to my less than stellar credit. That's pretty common these days it seems. That part didn't bother me. It's also helpful to have if the car happens to be stolen.

About leaving parts out - maybe you missed one or more of the posts, but I don't think I left out anything important that would describe the situation effectively.

I know there are some really good and honest dealerships out there. It just sucks that it can be so hard to find them.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Good job Bob, I was worried there you might have to change your screen name to CaptainBobWalk!
I do enjoy walking, but fortunately I won't have to that often.

BTW I'm not actually a Captain and my name really isn't Bob, but I think most of you probably suspected that.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I found this out with a new car dealer. I had a 2003 Mini Cooper that I took in for service at my local Mini dealer. The car was out of warranty. They replaced the battery and a couple of other things, charged me $1,000 and declared the car fixed. Two days later, the same problems that I had taken the car in for had returned, and my car was now stalling and my gas gauge quit working. When I took the car back, they told me that they were going to charge me more diagnostic fees to diagnose the new problems that they caused, and they tried to blame my air conditioner compressor for the car stalling (even though the car stalled with the AC turned off). I filed a complaint with the BBB, and they told me that the dealership made a good faith effort to address my problems. They made no effort at all. They gave me a rental car for two days, charged me a grand, fixed nothing and broke other stuff. I left and found an independent mechanic, who diagnosed within 20 minutes what had eluded the Mini dealer for almost three days.

At that point I learned that BBB exists primarily to boost their paid members, not to provide any protection or assurance for customers.
Wow man that really sucks. I have heard a lot of horror stories about the new car dealerships and very expensive service so I'm not surprised but it sounds like you got a really bad one in this case.

That's interesting about the BBB and quite a disappointment.

The best mechanic I ever had was in Los Angeles and came as a referral from a good friend of mine who happens to be a really stingy and frugal Jew. This mechanic kept him happy for over 15 years so I knew he had to be honest. And he did in fact always do me right.

Where I live now (in another state) I know of a place that is really well respected in the community that was referred by a neighbor. Nothing beats good ol' word of mouth when it comes to these things.

So sorry to hear about your misfortune, and thanks for sharing that story!

Old 11-15-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post

I did happen to tell the sales manager the other day that I was worried about them messing with the car and he said "we're not that kind of place man." I happen to like this guy and we've talked a lot, so really I wanted to trust him. I left out some of the detail about how today's experience went when they got it resolved, and I did in fact have to sit there for a couple hours but I don't think they did anything dishonest.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:04 PM

7,247 posts, read 4,672,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBobCock View Post
I do enjoy walking, but fortunately I won't have to that often.

BTW I'm not actually a Captain and my name really isn't Bob, but I think most of you probably suspected that.
You have destroyed my faith in humanity for all time. I hope you can find a way to live with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or