U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 PM

21 posts, read 8,005 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I just bought a used car the other day and I have some serious concerns. I am interested in getting some opinions, and some advice from anyone who knows about these things! I once had to sue a dealership for fraud on a used car and this time I want to protect myself! Any help is greatly appreciated!

So here goes:

I financed a pretty good car with fairly low miles a couple days ago. The financing came with a 2-year 24,000 mile warranty on it. The dealership did not show me the paperwork on this yet as I was in a hurry to get to work that day of the sale. A GPS was installed that day by the dealership because the finance company wanted it in the vehicle to protect their investment and my credit is mediocre.

The next day after the sale, the dealership called me and told me that the "GPS isn't working properly" and asked me if I can bring the car in tomorrow so they can figure it out. I told them I had to work all day and it would have to be the day after instead.

Right after that I decided to call the finance company myself about the GPS and they told me it shows that it is "Enabled" and that it's working. So now I am suspecting that the dealership is lying and that they intend on swapping out parts and doing other things to the car to "strip it down" so it breaks down sooner, and to give me less value. There is a warranty on the car so they expect I will bring it back to them to be fixed if anything goes wrong, and I imagine that several things will not be "covered" by this warranty and that they will try to make more money off me this way.

It seems they are caught in a lie, but I will call the finance company again in the morning just to ask a few more questions to be armed with more information.

I am also thinking I will keep making excuses not to come in to the dealership and/or just come forward and tell them that the finance company tells me the GPS is working and that the finance company needs to call me directly if there is in fact a problem.

The only other way to protect myself would be to have a trusted shop inspect the car both before and after I bring it back to them so as to notice any changes that are made, but that would cost a lot and take some time.

I figure as long as the finance company and I are on the same page then I don't ever have to go back to the dealership again! The deal has been finalized and I don't want them to touch my car!

Any thoughts on this? Have you ever had something similar happen? I know that used car dealers will swap things out like this because it happened to me on my last car deal that I paid for in cash, but I just couldn't prove it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 10:02 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,005,380 times
Only places that do the GPS thing in my experience are "buy here pay here" dealers. Never buy cars there.

As long as you make your payments, I don't see the need to bring it in. If they want to look at it, it seems they know where the car will be at anyway.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:23 PM

9,374 posts, read 26,553,338 times
With all due respect, CaptainBob . . . is this a WEIRD JOKE?

Old 11-14-2017, 04:38 AM

4,202 posts, read 1,253,112 times
No respectable dealership would do this like others have stated this must be like a drivetime or rightway kind of used car dealership, or buy here pay here place, we’re if you don’t make your payments on time they come and take the car. These places take avanantage of people with bad credit weather it’s their own fault or not. These kind of car dealership’s are sneaky, their extended warranty that you pay for is really not that great because there is alot of deductbales and the mechanics working there are not the greatest with sub par repairs. These kind of places buy from auctions for cheap and mark up the prices big time. Also have you ever herd of a places like these that do trade ins I’ve never heard of it before. All they do is sell cars to people that have no choice because of their credit issues. There was a dealer like these places by me that had a remote kill switch that disabled the car if you didn’t make the car payment. They had to stop because a woman who had to take her child to the ER the car would not start and her kid about died. Also they do the same thing to motorcycles if you finance through a company like Moto lease.

Last edited by easy62; 11-14-2017 at 05:01 AM..

Old 11-14-2017, 04:46 AM

3,011 posts, read 4,831,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Only places that do the GPS thing in my experience are "buy here pay here" dealers. Never buy cars there.

As long as you make your payments, I don't see the need to bring it in. If they want to look at it, it seems they know where the car will be at anyway.
This.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:

One thing I didn't mention is that I live in a very rural area that has no regular mail delivery. I have to use a P.O. Box for my mail, and the finance company didn't like the address so the dealer said that was the reason for the GPS. I think they always put a GPS in anyway, especially since the finance company they use does cater to people with "less than optimal" credit.

The dealership does have an A+ rating with the BBB and has been in business for over 6 years, but even so I don't want them touching my car again.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,516 posts, read 54,065,915 times
Quote:

I agree, the dealer shoud'n be involved as long as the lender is happy. Don't count on much from that warranty. Hopefully you have a copy of it, if so read the fine print and you will most likely find many limitations and exclusions. Warranties from that sort of dealer usually cover only something like a blinker fluid leak while driving through a tunnel during a full moon.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
No respectable dealership would do this like others have stated this must be like a drivetime or rightway kind of used car dealership, or buy here pay here place, we’re if you don’t make your payments on time they come and take the car. These places take avanantage of people with bad credit weather it’s their own fault or not. These kind of car dealership’s are sneaky, their extended warranty that you pay for is really not that great because there is alot of deductbales and the mechanics working there are not the greatest with sub par repairs. These kind of places buy from auctions for cheap and mark up the prices big time. Also have you ever herd of a places like these that do trade ins I’ve never heard of it before. All they do is sell cars to people that have no choice because of their credit issues. There was a dealer like these places by me that had a remote kill switch that disabled the car if you didn’t make the car payment. They had to stop because a woman who had to take her child to the ER the car would not start and her kid about died. Also they do the same thing to motorcycles if you finance through a company like Moto lease.
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling the "2 year / 24,000 mile warranty" was going to be a rip off. I will take it to another place that I know is honest and has a great reputation in my local community (going back many years) if I ever need any work done.

In any case, until the finance company tells me directly that the GPS isn't working, I'm not bringing the car back to the dealership to "have it fixed."

I knew this wasn't going to be the greatest deal, with the high interest rate and all, but I got a pretty good car (2013 Dodge Avenger with 67,000 miles) and I don't have to pay rent so I can afford to make the payments. And it will help me establish some good credit.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree, the dealer shoud'n be involved as long as the lender is happy. Don't count on much from that warranty. Hopefully you have a copy of it, if so read the fine print and you will most likely find many limitations and exclusions. Warranties from that sort of dealer usually cover only something like a blinker fluid leak while driving through a tunnel during a full moon.
Thanks man. This is very helpful. This is what I was thinking also.

I will stay in contact with the lender and also keep telling them my concerns if the dealer is intent on continuing to lie about the GPS. Because like I said, the lender tells me that the GPS is working fine.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:45 AM

26,427 posts, read 62,653,352 times
If your warranty requires that you bring the vehicle to them for repair, then it is likely a scam. What they do is charge you 300% for the repair and then have the warranty pay for half of it. Also some of them say if you ever bring the vehicle to another dealership for work the warranty is void. Sometimes even your financial agreement will say if you bring the vehicle elsewhere for repairs or repair or maintain yourself, you have breached the agreement and they can repossess the car.

Everything they do is for the purpose of milking more moeny out of you, nothing is for your benefit.

BTW the BBB rating means little to nothing. I means their employees have lots of friends, or someone is a wizard with a computer, or they hired one of those companies that provide great internet ratings for you (by paying people who know nothing bout your business to leave great reviews.) There are so many ways around reviews that they have become worthless. Also some businesses have people go leave legitimate sounding negative reviews on their competitor's sites to balance out real negative reviews on their sites. The whole review thing has become a scam in an of itself. Every time BBB or someone comes up with a more clever way to prevent false reviews, other people come up with even more clever ways to create false reviews. It is a losing batter, because shady companies will pay a lot for good internet reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or