Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 02:36 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times

Advertisements

Isn't that dangerous to make traffic enter an interstate at a low speed? Speed differential is what is dangerous. How is a person supposed to merge from a dead stop onto an interstate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 02:02 PM

797 posts, read 752,105 times
So many.
As listed above,plus
those mergers that come to a complete stop.
Makes wonder how have they been alive all this time.
Also the little runts that speed up when you pass them.
That should be illegal .

Old 11-26-2017, 03:48 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Isn't that dangerous to make traffic enter an interstate at a low speed? Speed differential is what is dangerous. How is a person supposed to merge from a dead stop onto an interstate?
They're not supposed to stop.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:08 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Tailgating, ugh.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:43 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,047,879 times
The poster who said that the entrance ramp has the right of way when merging must live in PA. That's how the drivers merge here and it drives me crazy.

When I see a car coming down the access ramp, I will pull over if there's room in the left lane, or slow down if I have time to do so but sometimes neither option is possible and it is nerve-wracking to see a car flying down the access ramp, knowing that he expects everyone else to get out of his way.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
The poster who said that the entrance ramp has the right of way when merging must live in PA. That's how the drivers merge here and it drives me crazy.

When I see a car coming down the access ramp, I will pull over if there's room in the left lane, or slow down if I have time to do so but sometimes neither option is possible and it is nerve-wracking to see a car flying down the access ramp, knowing that he expects everyone else to get out of his way.
Nope. In Pennsylvania, even though it is considered a courtesy to move over (if possible to do so safely) to traffic entering the freeway, they do NOT have the legal right of way and are required to yield to traffic already on the highway. At least their Driver's Manual thinks so.

Pretty sure we'd find that is in the transportation code of every state.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:59 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
They're not supposed to stop.

Unless there's a Stop sign or semaphore(on many west coast freeway onramps) on the on ramp.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:06 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post

Do you not understand how slow the traffic on the freeway would be if every car entered the freeway, did so from a dead stop, to give right a way? There is a reason that stop/yield signs are not put on entrance ramps. The right lane would be coming to a stop at every entrance ramp because of cars entering the freeway at 5 mph. The entire concept of freeways is that every car should be traveling at about the speed limit from the time they enter, until they exit. If cars enter from a dead stop, then traffic on the freeway will also have to stop. It's a FREEway, as in drivers being free from having to stop or slow down, at any time, including when merging.

If cars entering the freeway at speed, bothers you that much, then you should probably just stick to driving on the surface streets.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:08 PM

691 posts, read 419,775 times
sitting in a right turn lane at a red light with a clearly marked " right turn signal" (here its an offense to turn right on red these lights)

and getting honked at from people behind me shouting " RIGHT ON RED BUDDY"

being on a motorcycle in a full faced helmet its not like i can reply

Old 11-26-2017, 07:13 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post
sitting in a right turn lane at a red light with a clearly marked " right turn signal" (here its an offense to turn right on red these lights)

and getting honked at from people behind me shouting " RIGHT ON RED BUDDY"

being on a motorcycle in a full faced helmet its not like i can reply
Blame the traffic engineers. Signs like that are dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive