Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 05:31 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times

Advertisements

Tailgating ...#1 annoying for me.

Not using turning signals...on the increase in my neck of the woods.
Very rude, potentially dangerous too....I want to know what you’re gonna do,
I don’t want to have to guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 05:55 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Because the situations they mentioned are not the correct time to be using them.
The correct time would be anytime there is a hazardous situation. Rain and construction could be a hazard. Even if it is not the correct time, what does it matter? Has an accident ever been caused by someone using their hazard lights inappropriately? It seems like a pretty insignificant thing to be worrying about.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:00 PM

17,298 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The correct time would be anytime there is a hazardous situation. Rain and construction could be a hazard. Even if it is not the correct time, what does it matter? Has an accident ever been caused by someone using their hazard lights inappropriately? It seems like a pretty insignificant thing to be worrying about.
It's unwise and depending on state illegal to use hazards just because of rain. Hazards should not be used when moving. They should indicate a stopped car on the roadway.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/us...iowRgq5CgPjLP/

Why you shouldn’t use your hazard lights when driving in bad weather | Clark Howard

Old 11-17-2017, 06:32 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
It's unwise and depending on state illegal to use hazards just because of rain. Hazards should not be used when moving. They should indicate a stopped car on the roadway.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/us...iowRgq5CgPjLP/

Why you shouldn’t use your hazard lights when driving in bad weather | Clark Howard
The only points those articles make for not using hazard lights while driving is that the lights can make other drivers think you’re stopped or stalled, and they turn off your ability to use your turn signals.

Well doh, people are only going to think you are stopped if you are in a state where it's illegal to use them while driving. Even then, I would never mistake a moving car for being stopped, just because they have their hazard lights on. I would like to see evidence that even one car accident has ever been cause by a driver who mistook a moving vehicle for a stopped vehicle, just because it had its hazard lights on. I'm not buying it.

The second point is true. That's why I would turn off my hazard lights when I turn on my turn signal.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:22 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Pair of cars blocking both lanes of the highway by driving side-by-side under the 55mph speed limit. Sometimes having a conversation.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Where I live, if you leave a big gap in front of you (I drive to work on surface roads - not freeways) everybody will move in to fill that gap. Now maybe you might want to prevent having to continuously apply your brakes so you leave a huge gap between you and the car in front of you.

If you leave a smaller gap, about a car length or half-car length, then somebody will dart into that space causing you to slam on your brakes to keep from hitting them.

Most people ride close to the car in front of them to prevent these problems.
Physics be damned, in other words. Amazing how many people think they are immune to the laws of physics.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
If said law enforcement vehicle is parked on the side of the road, there might be regulations about it:
This. I actually got a ticket for moving back over too soon (I was well past everything but one of the officers felt that it was too soon) after moving into the middle lane to pass them. Otherwise, I would have had to slow to 20 mph below the speed limit to pass them. They were enforcing that law stringently at the time because there had been two officer deaths by people hitting them while they were dealing with a traffic situation (accident in one case), and people didn't know the law.

Texas is serious about that law, and most people know it now.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I can't explain what he meant exactly, but I have a variation of it. Here, in Virginia (also Maryland) there are roads where a right turn lane opens up just before a turn. The lane, however, is marked as through or right turn. You can do either. It's marked through because there is another intersection a little ways up. It has a right turn only lane, which is the lane which started prior to the first intersection. I know ir is ega to go straight, but it can be annoying when you need to turn, you can't because you get stuck behind someone who is going straight. Every other state that I lived in prior to these two, the lane would be right turn only. Straight through drivers wanting to turn at the second intersection, can't get right until they are past the first intersection. That leaves the right lane to be right turn only. That's the preferred way.
Unless they know, based on experience, that they won't be able to get into the right lane once they are past the intersection due to traffic. The above is YOUR preferred way.

Dang, we have become a society of people needing immediate gratification and no one had better be in my way ever!

Old 11-17-2017, 09:40 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,038 times
My top 3 biggest pet peeves of other drivers on the road.

#1 - Failure to use turn signals in any situations that call for it.
#2 - Aggressive drivers tailgating in the right lane w/multiple open lanes to the left for passing.
#3 - Timid drivers going under the speed limit in the left lanes.

Unfortunately, all 3 are quite common where I live!

Old 11-17-2017, 10:20 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
1. Block the right lane of a 2-lane road at a red light, preventing drivers behind them from making a right on red in states that allow it.
I do this in order to get to the front of the left lane soon after the light changes. I do feel a twinge of remorse for doing this when I see that the driver behind me has his directional on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive