Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 09:24 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by some1livesinamerica View Post
i live in a metropolitan area, during my daily commute, i see drivers drive bumper to bumper all the time and i kinda do the same thing. Occasionally, if i think the driver in front of me is driving too slow, and i cannot pass that driver from other lanes, i will tend to follow the car a little bit closer intentionally or unintentionally.
I don't think what am I doing is anything malicious or rude, basically, it is just a way to let the driver in the front know I feel like you are driving too slow, either drive faster or switch to the right lane.
Once in a while, i get brake checked because the driver in front of me felt like i was following too closely. Is brake checking someone really necessary? Plus, can you really prevent the driver behind you to stop following you too closely by brake checking? the driver in the front might think it is dangerous to tailgate, but is it safe to brake check someone? when you are driving over 70mph on the interstate and you decide to brake check the driver behind you, if the driver behind you reacts a sec or two late, who knows what will happen next.
I have been driving for a long long time now, there were times that the car behind me was following me extremely close, if i really felt uncomfortable about the situation, i simply drove a bit faster and switched to the right lane when i found a spot, let the car behind me passed by and switched back to the left lane. After all, who am I to tell the driver behind me you are driving too fast, it is dangerous.
No, but neither is tailgating. Stop acting like a kindergarten child. It doesn't mean the other kindergarten child is right. It means you both need to go sit in the corner for ten minutes on time out. I just double my following distance whenever someone tailgates me so if I need to stop quickly I can do so less quickly. Doesn't really bother me that much if someone wants to tailgate me. It's simple enough to adjust my driving style to minimize the risk they pose and just leave a 6 second gap instead of a 3 second one. If I get someone with high beams that are blinding me, it just means I have reduced visibility and need to follow more like 15 seconds behind. It's not like I can change lanes as I can't see if there's a car behind me in my mirrors any longer as they're now pointed at the ground.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-15-2017 at 09:33 PM..

Old 11-16-2017, 06:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Exactly. Speeding up simply encourages the tailgater (who is, IF this is in the left lane, trying to enforce the law by tailgating which is itself illegal) who will speed up and still be on your bumper.
Not if he cannot catch you.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:00 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not if he cannot catch you.
If he doesn't, the po-po might.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:26 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
YES.

If you are crazy stupid and want to risk your life and the lives of other people in a childish and futile attempt to make a point.
Otherwise - no. Never.

Oh and you might tick someone off to the point that they follow you home and beat the snot out of you or shoot you. Plus you may and should get a ticket, since that is illegal. Oh and if you cause an accident doing that, you will be responsible for all of the damage, and your insurance company may nor provide coverage if they find you intentionally caused the collision.

This is like asking if you should grab the hand of someone pointing a gun at you and squeeze it to make them drop the gun.
This actually happened in my neighborhood recently. Crazy!

Three sought in road rage attack in Woodbridge | Prince William | insidenova.com

Old 11-16-2017, 07:39 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
This actually happened in my neighborhood recently. Crazy!

Three sought in road rage attack in Woodbridge | Prince William | insidenova.com
Always yield to gangsta thugs on the roads. They don't play by the same rules as the rest of us.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:14 AM

44,353 posts, read 20,059,784 times
This thread is closed. It quickly devolved into personal attacks and off-topic comments, as well as a discussion about left-lane hogging. That topic is off limits, so don't go there. Numerous inappropriate posts have been deleted.

You can express an opinion without attacking the intelligence or the character of another poster. There is never an valid excuse for attacking another member.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive